Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1.    #1  
    Wow, please don't let Verizon anywhere near Sprint

    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireles...t-nextel_x.htm
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
  2. #2  
    I agree. God forbid Sprint users actually have a good network, I like how my friends on Sprint are always dropping calls.

    Plus, I like to ask my Sprint friends how Claire is doing. What are we going to do if Claire is wiped out in the merger!?!?!?!
  3. #3  
    Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a Verizon - Sprint merger. Just leave Nextel out of it. Verizon would get some good switching stations, maybe some better frequencies in some states. Nextel is a mess. They have to switch that entire network over from iDEN to CDMA. Why bother? Sprint and Verizon is a clean fit. Nextel and anyone is a mess.
  4. #4  
    I have had very few problems with the Sprint network here in the DFW area. I know that other people complain about coverage, but that can be a problem with any carrier.
    I have heard stories about data problems on Verizon, attributed to the fact that Verizon was formed from about 5 separate carriers, and they still have integration problems. That is one reason it takes Verizon so long to certify phones.
    I would hope that antitrust/competition issues would nix this deal, but with the current climate in Washington that is a forlorn hope.
    Zane
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyTheEagle
    God forbid Sprint users actually have a good network, I like how my friends on Sprint are always dropping calls.
    God forbid I'd actually have to pay $50/month for unlimited data, as opposed to the $10/month I pay for it now.

    I'd drop a call every day if it meant paying $500 less a year for a data plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    I would hope that antitrust/competition issues would nix this deal, but with the current climate in Washington that is a forlorn hope.
    There's almost no chance of this being nixed for antitrust concerns, since the Cingular/AT&T "merger" was approved without much of a fight.
  6. pump142's Avatar
    Posts
    787 Posts
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    #6  
    sprints new phones and data plan rates
    verizons coverage and customer service

    Im so there
  7. #7  
    what if it turns into verizon's phone selection and data rates, sprint's coverage and customer service. gotta look at the dark side
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC
    Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a Verizon - Sprint merger. Just leave Nextel out of it. Verizon would get some good switching stations, maybe some better frequencies in some states. Nextel is a mess. They have to switch that entire network over from iDEN to CDMA. Why bother? Sprint and Verizon is a clean fit. Nextel and anyone is a mess.
    That is why Sprint wants Nextel, and Nextel wants Sprint. Sprint could easily add the Nextel customer with a phone swap and Number Portability, and Sprint has PTT. Nextel would not have to upgrade its network because Sprint covers most of the same areas already. Sprint would get that nice spectrum that the FCC gave to Nextel and all of Nextel's towers, possibly making and EVDO deployment much easier. I don't see a downside to a Sprint/Nextel merger for Sprint customers, and only a minor inconvinience of a phone swap for Nextel customers, which they will have to do if their network gets upgraded anyway.

    If Verizon gets hold of Sprint I will switch to a GSM provider for sure. I stated this in another thread that I try not to shop at WalMart because of their poor business practices, and I will not be a Verizon customer for the same reason. As a matter of fact they are the WalMart of Telecom, except without the cost savings to the consumer. I have seen how they, and the other Baby Bells deal with competition and it is very bad. They do everything they can to screw a competitor, all while trying to get the Government to give them even more advantages through regulation. I see absolutely no bennifit in a Verizon/Sprint merger since Verizon has higher prices, poorer plans, and I don't have any problems with Sprint's current coverage area.

    I can drive from work to home (40 miles and about an hour time) and have a phone call going the whole time in Northern Virginia on Sprint's network.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    If Verizon gets hold of Sprint I will switch to a GSM provider for sure. I stated this in another thread that I try not to shop at WalMart because of their poor business practices, and I will not be a Verizon customer for the same reason. As a matter of fact they are the WalMart of Telecom, except without the cost savings to the consumer.

    that's funny, because i go to WalMart as much as possible, because as a minority, I believe they have racially equitable hiring and promotion practices, while I do not have as much confidence in the smaller "mom and pop" outfits that like to hire relatives and other "good old boys"

    and no, Verizon does not pass savings along to the customer, instead they invest in their network - and that's why they have the best network and have EVDO long before Sprint, ATTCingular and T-Mobile (lol) ever will.
    Last edited by BaldyTheEagle; 12/14/2004 at 03:16 PM.
  10. #10  
    Oh yeah Walmart is racially equitable, especially if you are an illegal alien. They are involved in hundreds of discrimination suits. they squeeze local competition out with crappy paying, crappy benefit "jobs". If Verizon is like Walmart- I'm out.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
  11. #11  
    Coverage talks are becoming less of an issue. It depends on the market.

    Sprint's network is significantly better recently and there are some weak spots with Verizon, especially in smaller and edge cities in the Midwest and West Coast where Sprint is apparently stronger. Sprint recently upgraded significantly, especially in Chicago and the Bay Area, and are winning over many new customers.

    I emailed Sprint this summer about an area that had a low signal. They not only replied to my email, but they added a site in a month. Problem was solved.

    Customer support is now handled by IBM BTW.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyTheEagle
    that's funny, because i go to WalMart as much as possible, because as a minority, I believe they have racially equitable hiring and promotion practices, while I do not have as much confidence in the smaller "mom and pop" outfits that like to hire relatives and other "good old boys"

    and no, Verizon does not pass savings along to the customer, instead they invest in their network - and that's why they have the best network and have EVDO long before Sprint, ATTCingular and T-Mobile (lol) ever will.
    ATTCingulair and T-Mobile will never have EV-DO as long as they are GSM since EV-DO is a CDMA technology. Verizon won't have any phones using EV-DO for a while. Sprint will have EV-DO soon (I thought they were waiting for EV-DV, but apparently are going to EV-DO, with an option to go either EV-DO Release A, or EV-DV in 2006 or 2007). Sprint is investing in their network too, as are all of the carriers.
    Last edited by lnichols; 12/14/2004 at 05:45 PM.
  13.    #13  
    My reason for not wanting this merger to happen is because of a reason mentioned above.

    Verizons data plan and rate are horrendous and Sprint totally has it figured out (with my $10 unlimited everything plan). I know that if this merger happened it would somehow mess this up for me and either make me pay more or screw up the speed of the data itself. I get perfect reception everywhere I go with my Sanyo 5300 (waiting for the 650) and have never had a service problem except underground in a subway, but in this issue, I am one of the lucky ones. The only thing I want from Verizon is their customer service but I'm assuming with this merger, more than just the customer service from Verizon would be transferred.

    I have had several chances to switch carriers since 1999 when I signed up with Sprint but I havent and I wont. I am one person who loves Sprint and would never switch so of course I don't want this merger to happen. If it ain't broke, dont fix it.
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Customer support is now handled by IBM BTW.
    That is a good sign that they may have improved. I might try them again -- I don't have stock in VZW and don't understand cellular carrier loyalty.

    I had bad experiences with AT&T Wireless once but I gave them another shot in September after hearing about how much they'd improved. Sadly, they were just as bad as before and I dropped them within the 30 days.
  15.    #15  
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
  16. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #16  
    It would be nice to have a gigantic 1xRTT data network. Although with all the nasty stories the Verizon 600 users share with regards to constant and unnecessary network "pinging", I'm not sure if I'd want their techs running the show...
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    Verizon won't have any phones using EV-DO for a while. Sprint will have EV-DO soon (I thought they were waiting for EV-DV, but apparently are going to EV-DO, with an option to go either EV-DO Release A, or EV-DV in 2006 or 2007). Sprint is investing in their network too, as are all of the carriers.

    EVDO for verizon's already out in many major markets.

    current list:
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/m...band/index.jsp

    Verizon is carrying the Audiovox HTC Harrier (XDA III), which was released last week (B2B, retail to follow by end of month or mid-Jan), so Verizon DOES have an EVDO phone already, connecting at 300-400kps

    Sprint's version of the phone gets about 50-60kps. Sprint's version of the phone also suffers from debilitating "screeches" that shut down conversations. this problem has not occurred on any of the Verizon Audiovox Harrier phones.

    find out more here:
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/forum...hp?forumid=168


    Furthermore, the Verizon LG VX8000 is due out by the end of January and has been debuted with beta testers who are also testing the $15/month unlimited EVDO access which includes streaming video and high speed access. The catch is that the $15/mo plan can't be tethered to provide broadband access to a home network.

    more than a few on the other boards suspect that one of many reasons for Verizon's delay in getting the 650 out (other than Sprint locking in the exclusive) is that Verizon views the Treo, HTC and other handhelds as heavily targeted to business users, and that when the 650 comes out, it'll be EVDO on Verizon.

    care to retract your '"Verizon doesn't have EVDO and won't for awhile" statement?

    Customer support is now handled by IBM BTW.
    and that's a PLUS for sprint? i'm not sure how that's better than having people who actually work on cellphones and cellphone networks. maybe IBM has automated voice response computers with gruffer voices than claire.
    Last edited by BaldyTheEagle; 12/14/2004 at 10:04 PM.
  18. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyTheEagle

    more than a few on the other boards suspect that one of many reasons for Verizon's delay in getting the 650 out (other than Sprint locking in the exclusive) is that Verizon views the Treo, HTC and other handhelds as heavily targeted to business users, and that when the 650 comes out, it'll be EVDO on Verizon.
    Hah! And if you believe that, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you... By the time Verizon gets around to releasing the 650, it may very well have EV-DO. But it certainly won't be because of EV-DO.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyTheEagle
    that's funny, because i go to WalMart as much as possible, because as a minority, I believe they have racially equitable hiring and promotion practices, while I do not have as much confidence in the smaller "mom and pop" outfits that like to hire relatives and other "good old boys"
    um yea thx for stayin on topic
  20. #20  
    Hmm... this consolidation may be good for the big corporations, but how will this be good for consumers? I like to have as many options and choices as possible and so I'm wary of big mergers like this...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions