Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyTheEagle
    ...Verizon views the Treo, HTC and other handhelds as heavily targeted to business users, and that when the 650 comes out, it'll be EVDO on Verizon...
    So I guess Verizon is getting the magic Treo 650? The one that you rub a certain way and it magically works with EV-DO? That has to be it. Why you ask? Because the 650 does not support EV-DO. Why then would Verizon wait to release the 650 until they had their EV-DO network in full swing? They wouldnt because it irrelevant.

Punches a bit of a hole in your fantasy now doesnt it? Good try though.
    care to retract your '"Verizon doesn't have EVDO and won't for awhile" statement?
    But let's see when that EVDO technology is deployed across their entire network.

Hmmmm.....I'd say somewhere close to never. Verizon's 1xRTT network coverage is horrible. Their call coverage is great, but their data coverage is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    But let's see when that EVDO technology is deployed across their entire network.

Hmmmm.....I'd say somewhere close to never. Verizon's 1xRTT network coverage is horrible. Their call coverage is great, but their data coverage is not.

fair enough, who does know.

but, 5 years ago, AT&T had the best network, and sprint was dead last with verizon not much better. where is AT&T now?

it's not only where your network is, but really where you are focusing your development efforts for your network.

i'm not that carrier-loyal (i've had 8 different carriers in the past decade), but i gotta say some of you sprint people are really... strange. you think verizon sucks because it has some EVDO, but not *every*where, meanwhile your company doesn't really have it *any*where.

meanwhile, you completely overlook the fact that one of yours was dead wrong in just broadly claiming that verizon had NO EVDO phones, when in fact, sprint and verizon each released the HTC Harrier within 3 weeks of each other, and well, only the Verizon version is EVDO capable (actually live in 15+ cities/airports), while the Sprint version is literally unusable because of integration issues with Sprint's network.

i used to think i always wanted the latest technology first. now i realize that a phone has gotta be a phone and a reliablle one, above all. i'm all for getting a convergence device, but i'm ok with waiting 2, 3 or even 5 months to get one that works reliably as a phone.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Sprint + Nextel is official.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Hmm... this consolidation may be good for the big corporations, but how will this be good for consumers? I like to have as many options and choices as possible and so I'm wary of big mergers like this...
    You're right funk..... The good for consumers is we'll probably get more features and better coverage. Customer service may go down (not applicable to Sprint customers)..

It's now gonna end up being GSM conglomerate, CDMA conglomerate, or Tmobile.. heh

and yeah, it probably wont be good for our monthly bill after a while
    Don't you think that Verizon, Cingular, Sprint-Nextel, and T-Mobile will still fight for your business? I'm all for a financially healthy mobile telecom industry where all the carriers are profitable and can afford to maintain and upgrade their networks. They can only sell at a loss for so long before they run themselves out of business. It's only the federal government that can perpetually operate at a loss, 'cause they're the ones who print the money!
    Verizon is carrying the Audiovox HTC Harrier (XDA III), which was released last week (B2B, retail to follow by end of month or mid-Jan), so Verizon DOES have an EVDO phone already, connecting at 300-400kps

care to retract your '"Verizon doesn't have EVDO and won't for awhile" statement?
    OK. You got me. Verizon has one EV-DO phone that is not listed on their site and probably costs $700+ . The mass quantities of people buying the only phone that costs $$$ that supports it must be really using and taxing that massive EV-DO network. And if you really think about I said
    Verizon won't have any phones using EV-DO for a while.
    so technically I am correct since they only have a phone. I guess I should retract the retraction .

Oh yeah and unless PalmOne changes the 650's CDMA radio just for Verizon, then their will not be an EV-DO Treo 650. The radio chipset doesn't support EV-DO.
    I hope there will be GSM and CDMA conglomerates fighting for our business.

The good side of a VZW & SPCS merger would be the free In-Network calling. Although most of my business colleagues are on VZW today, I've not mandated any carrier in my organization so I have a few employees on SPCS (and Cingular/AT&T, Nextel, & even T-Mobile). We do have cellphone budgets but I hate for my folks to worry about minutes when making calls.

SPCS has an offer at my company: unlimited data + wireless card + 1100 minutes for $99. When they finally get EVDO, I hope that offer covers it too since I don't know anyone who is biting now. Most of us don't see any value in getting a card since our phones tether fine for slower 1X speeds.

Regarding the Treo 650 -- well, I'm not holding my breath on that one. I'm thinking that VZW will just push their EVDO capable phones and when PalmOne catches up, they may support the newest model that is EVDO capable.
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    OK. You got me. Verizon has one EV-DO phone that is not listed on their site and probably costs $700+
    Close - it is $649 full price. There are discounts available to bring it to $549. And, yes, it is marketed to the business crowd who want EV-DO plus Wireless Sync. I might bite -- we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Close - it is $649 full price. There are discounts available to bring it to $549. And, yes, it is marketed to the business crowd who want EV-DO plus Wireless Sync. I might bite -- we'll see.

picked mine up for $200 with new-every two rebate and voice+data promotion. in january, the $15/mo EVDO promo comes out and it'll be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
    http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...7&postcount=10

You might find some good info in this posting...
    "I see dead pixels..."
    Let's face it. Within the next 5 years, Verizon will buy Sprint Nextel, and Cingular will buy T-Mobile, thereby creating 2 giants (GSM vs. CDMA).

Say hello to greater network coverage, and WAY less competitive prices. Hoo-friggin-ray.
    What do you folks think will happen to the Nextel network in this deal? The PTT on my Nextel is far superior to what I have seen on the Sprint Ready Link phones, and I would think that Sprint Nextel would not be doing the Nextel customers any favors by simply telling them that they can use the current Ready Link phones if they want PTT. Do you think that dual band phones (CDMA and Iden or whatever Nextel's network is called) will be created that have the power of Nextel Direct Connect along with the data and coverage capabilities of Sprint, or perhaps one could buy a phone for either network, depending on one's needs? Or will the Nextel network be dumped or sold? Can they be integrated? My dream has been the Nextel T650, but even better would be a SPCS/Nextel T650 with Nextel's PTT (not the current Ready Link). Any thoughts?
    I know Kung Fu...
    nextel's PTT is far ahead of both sprint and verizon's PTT offerings. i bet more than a few nextel users are worried about this merger
    Doesn't matter. Even if Nextel didn't merge with anyone, they would still have to replace their technology. The Feds are requiring it. They have already begun testing PTT under CDMA. Nextel users should be worried that they have bought into antiquated phones, merger or not.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12