Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    here's your answer on tmobile:
    http://engadget.com/entry/1234000680023247/

T-Mobile USA says no 3G until 2007

Posted Dec 10, 2004, 8:25 AM ET by Peter Rojas
    Related entries: Cellphones

T-Mobile

T-Mobile USA just wrote its own obituary. The CEO of the company admitted that he doesnít see them launching a high-speed 3G wireless service within the next two years, mainly because they just donít have the spectrum for it right now. So basically T-Mobile subscribers will have wait until 2007 if they want 3G, but the cold reality is that a lot of them probably wonít want to wait and will defect to other carriers that have been a little more proactive about 3G. Verizonís already started rolling out their high-speed EV-DO service in a bunch of different cities, Sprintís going to be building out their own EV-DO network soon, Cingular is currently testing a high-speed UMTS service which they hope to introduce next year
    T-Mobile should have "merged" with Cingular when they had the chance! Maybe in 2K5 we might see a surprise.

I'm currently w/ Cingular and it's ok...just wish they had a "good data plan"!
    There are positives and negatives to all of this. With a Nextel - Sprint merger they are not as obvious but if Verizon takes a stab at merging with Sprint the effects could be big. There would be a huge network and signal anywhere and everywhere but barely any competition in cell phone companies to drive the price down. With the current Sprint plans offering an extra $5 a month for no extra charge on roaming, I think froma consumer standpoint we are better off with Sprint being alone and not with Verizon.
  4.    #24  
    Looks like Wall Street supports the merger. I would guess stockholders will too...

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/ka...6/daily52.html

"We firmly believe one more wireless merger makes sense," the UBS analysts wrote. "We believe a Nextel-Sprint combination would put the companies on an equal footing with Verizon Wireless and Cingular in terms of scale and operating efficiencies."

Moynihan, however, said Nextel needs the merger more than Sprint does, which raises questions about which management team would prevail and the valuation of a merger.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    I think in the end there will be three wireless companies. Someone will swallow up T-Mobile and then there will be three giants to collaborate and screw us all.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
  6.    #26  
    Looking serious now...

________
    Shares of Sprint Corp. fell this afternoon after news services reported that the Overland Park company is in advanced negotiations to buy Nextel Communications for $36 billion.

Reuters reported that Sprint would pay 1.3 shares of Sprint stock for each share of Nextel in the mostly stock deal.

Sprint shares were down 17 cents at $24.11 after reaching a 52-week high of $25.80 early in the day. Nextel was down 12 cents at $29.69. Trading volume for each company was very heavy.

Under the terms currently being considered, Sprint also would pay a small amount of cash that would give it a slightly larger ownership stake in the company for tax purposes, Reuters reported, citing unidentified sources.

Reuters and The Star's news services
    what does that mean in english?

8.    #28  
    This suggests Sprint will acquire Nextel... not a merger.

http://www.investors.com/breakingnew...24368831&brk=1
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    With the current Sprint plans offering an extra $5 a month for no extra charge on roaming, I think froma consumer standpoint we are better off with Sprint being alone and not with Verizon.
    Go with CINGULAR - you're FREE to ROAM!
    Remember that T-Mobile operates at 1900Mhz...that is prime spectrum for Verizon...

Even though the networks aren't compatible, it is entirely possible that Vodafone/VZW would buy T-Mobile simply for the subscriber base and the spectrum alone - and just auction all the equipment. Pure speculation, but not out of the realm of possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    Remember that T-Mobile operates at 1900Mhz...that is prime spectrum for Verizon...

Even though the networks aren't compatible, it is entirely possible that Vodafone/VZW would buy T-Mobile simply for the subscriber base and the spectrum alone - and just auction all the equipment. Pure speculation, but not out of the realm of possibility.
    I agree that the 1.9GHz spectrum is indeed very valuable, but I seriously doubt that Verizon/Vodafone could buy T-Mobile. I know Vodafone is large, but so is T-Mo over there in Europe.
    Sprint wants Nextel's iden Direct Connect technology. Nextel wants to use Sprint's EV-DO network. Combine the two technologies, you are going to have a VERY potent wireless telecom company. Rumors also have it that Sprint's management team will win out. Watch the FCC filings to see what new phones will be coming out late next year. We will see the death of Ready-Link and new DC phones with EV-DO capabilities in the horizon.

Motorola hurts from this due to their contract with Nextel. However, their stock still went up when word came down that Sprint inked a deal with them as well.

http://sprintnextel.mergerannounceme...obalnav_merger

Interesting stuff eh?

Dizzy

p.s. oops...someone just posted the same thing in another thread weeks earlier. LOL

What's gonna suck is that all Nextel customer will be forced to get new phones once the merger is complete. I wonder what deals they will give us??? I recall the Sprint Spectrum to Sprint PCS "upgrade" and still shudder at the nightmare that created. Be afraid. Very afraid.
    Last edited by Dizzy; 12/27/2004 at 04:12 PM.
    Sprint doesn't want Nextel's DC IDen Tech... IDEN is outdated. Their going to use another tech that they have that hasn't been used yet. They were testing that technology here in NC. And again, you're wrong about Nextel wanting Sprint EVDO Network. Nextel had to change to another freq because of their systems conflicting with emergancy signals. Moto is right now building a CDMA/IDEN dual band phone for Nextel users to use until the network switch is complete by 07.
    Side Note: Ya might wanna verify your info before posting.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12