1.    #1  
    Sprint charges 0.39/minute if you use the Treo 650 as a modem via Bluetooth which surprised me. The Sprint rep explained to me that DUN uses a different connection method and your unlimited PCS Vision plan for web/data does NOT apply when using DUN. (check your online usage for "casual use wireless web minutes")
    Better monitor your usuage carefully. It's obvious, they want you to buy the PC card for your laptop instead - I hope they change this pricing policy soon.
    Hope this helps.
    I saw a charge for this. It was called 3g casual event. Said my plan included 0 and I used one. I called to find out what it was and the lady told me it only costs a penny and it was because i went online. I told her i have vision. She took it off my bill.
    People, please ignore this post. He signed up specifically to make two posts stating this. It is BS. If you have vision, and do not abuse it, there is no problem. Unless you signed a statement that they can charge this fee, they can not. Period.
    Ah, the ever mysterious data policy from Sprint. I'm surprised it took this long to surface (DUN charges). Its apparent that unlimited isn't really unlimited in Sprints eyes. Tethering is the reason bt phones are so sparse on Sprints lineup. They haven't figured out how to profit, so they cripple it. Now they are gonna charge for data on their 'unlimited data' plan now that bt works like it should? That's BS.

Why doesn't Sprint just come out and explain the DUN crippling, bt useage, unlimited data, what we can/cant do etc? Why the vagueness?
    Moved to sprint forum. Doesn't require 650 hardware to be relevant.
  6.    #6  
    In response to shadowmite, I had two conversations with Sprint reps this morning. One of them told me its $0.39/minute and the other rep told me she did not know why I was being charged, but that it would be $0.01/Kb (very similar response as the other subscriber), despite the fact that I have PCS Vision.
    You can ignore my post or not. I simply tried to be helpful and explain what I was told by Sprint this morning.
    This post is not intended to take anything away from the DUN feature which is great - just be aware of the costs.
    There is a distinction between using your treo "as a modem" (i.e. faxing or dialing into a BBS/ISP) and as an "internet access point." The former is definitely $0.39 a minute while the latter is priced differently (whether or not they can tell it isn't just Blazer, etc. I don't know know).
    Quote Originally Posted by masssky65593
    In response to shadowmite, I had two conversations with Sprint reps this morning. One of them told me its $0.39/minute and the other rep told me she did not know why I was being charged, but that it would be $0.01/Kb (very similar response as the other subscriber), despite the fact that I have PCS Vision.
    You can ignore my post or not. I simply tried to be helpful and explain what I was told by Sprint this morning.
    This post is not intended to take anything away from the DUN feature which is great - just be aware of the costs.

Just curious... what number did you dial? Was it anything other than #777?

For the record: #777 is the code for 1xRTT access. That's Vision, and depending on what plan you're on, you MAY get charged per kilobyte, though Vision plan subscribers shouldn't see that charge. All connections through vision are directly IP based, just like a cable or DSL modem.

ANY OTHER NUMBER you dial through a tethered connection does NOT go through Vision! Instead it uses a much older data network called Wireless Web and will terminate via a modem connection. That WILL cost you $.39/minute, and your max connection speed with be 14.4kbps.
    Last edited by scaredpoet; 12/09/2004 at 10:09 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    Just curious... what number did you dial? Was it anything other than #777?

For the record: #777 is the code for 1xRTT access. That's Vision, and depending on what plan you're on, you MAY get charged per kilobyte, though Vision plan subscribers shouldn't see that charge. All connections through vision are directly IP based, just like a cable or DSL modem.

ANY OTHER NUMBER you dial through a tethered connection does NOT go through Vision! Instead it uses a much older data network called Wireless Web and will terminate via a modem connection. That WILL cost you $.39/minute, and your max connection speed with be 14.4kbps.
    thank you - you may have solved the mystery here.
    Found this post to answer a question. Seem I have this "casual use pcs wireless web minutes" under my usage, 6 min of it, which is about how long I was online with BT DUN, dialing #777 on my iBook G4. Have they fixed the system to be able to see DUN access now?
    Quote Originally Posted by masssky65593
    Sprint charges 0.39/minute if you use the Treo 650 as a modem via Bluetooth which surprised me. The Sprint rep explained to me that DUN uses a different connection method and your unlimited PCS Vision plan for web/data does NOT apply when using DUN. (check your online usage for "casual use wireless web minutes")
    Better monitor your usuage carefully. It's obvious, they want you to buy the PC card for your laptop instead - I hope they change this pricing policy soon.
    Hope this helps.
    Hey..

I just got off the phone again with Sprint. I talked to a tier 2 rep about this issue. While I was driving from Salt Lake City, UT to a little hamlet called Ontario, OR on the Idaho/Oregon line, I got to thinking about the bluetooth DUN patch in Firmware 1.12 updater. Primarily, if Sprint does not want to support bluetooth tethering from the Treo 650 to a PC or Mac, why was the patch included in the 1,12 updater?

The first answer I got, was the DUN patch was in the updater due to other carriers may support bluetooth DUN on their system. I countered with, yes but the DUN patch in 1.12 was specific to Sprint/Treo 650 phones. The 1.12 updater would not work on other carrier phones, and the other carriers had DUN patches on their Firmware updaters specific to their phones. Also the bluetooth DUN was not enabled on versions 1.03 and 1.08.

Following that, I was told that Palm put the DUN patch in the 1.12 to bluetooth network with your desktop or laptop, because bluetooth can do so many things. I said ok, but the Treo 650 can network with a computer already, without the patch. I also mentioned that two little words in the patch bothered me in that case. Specificly, 'dial-up'. Why was the patch called, Dial-Up Network. I was told the rep had no control over what things are called and why they are included in the Firmware updates.

I politely mentioned, in my opinion the DUN patch was included to see how many Vision users would be candidates for the PCMCIA card or the EVDO card with a data plan for more money. I also told the rep, that I did not like the idea of spending 219.00 bucks on a EVDO card and another 960.00 bucks a year, or 80.00 bucks a month for another "unlimited plan". I mentioned, it seemed the Vision Premium Unlimited plan was a bait and switch with bluetooth dial-up networking enabled in the 1.12 updater.

The rep then told me, that she was never asked about the bluetooth DUN patch by any customer before. That she usually deals with angry customers about their vision bills.

The rep then told me about the little known, never mentioned Vision plan called "hand set as a modem" How many of you know about that one? In a nutshell, the "hand set as a modem" plan allows you 40 megabytes a month, with an overage of 30 megabytes, for a total of 70 megabytes a month. If you go over 40 megabytes, the price per kilobyte comes to .001 cent. Or 30.00 bucks extra per month.

So I signed up for the "hand set as a modem" plan. I had a $15.00 Vision plan, so my new Vision plan is now $25.00 a month, $10.00 more for 40 megabytes, and Unlimited picture mail is included. If I go up to 70 megabytes, my Vision plan should not go over $55.00 a month. Also my new Vision plan will cost me nothing till October 15th. And I can back out of it at any time.

If any of you are interested in this "hand set as a modem", call Sprint and ask for the plans department.

So using a little math, in 1 hour I used 584 kilobytes. If I surf for 3 hours every day, I will use 1,752 kilobytes per day. Multiply that by 30 days, and I will use 52 megabytes per month surfing the net only. That would leave me about 18 megabytes per month for downloading, or streaming stuff to the Treo, and not go over the 70 megabytes per month. When I want to download files, I use a wifi connection for the speed.

Chuck
    Quote Originally Posted by chckhbrt
    ... I also mentioned that two little words in the patch bothered me in that case. Specificly, 'dial-up'. Why was the patch called, Dial-Up Network.

So I signed up for the "hand set as a modem" plan. I had a $15.00 Vision plan, so my new Vision plan is now $25.00 a month, $10.00 more for 40 megabytes...
    Maybe I missed something here, but if you can use a 1xRTT connection for $15/mo, why would you pay more for lesser service?

The "Dialup Networking" term is a part of Bluetooth's set of services, and refers to the way your computer connects to the Treo, rather than the way the Treo connects to the Internet. To your computer, the Treo looks like a serial modem, except that it's connected wirelessly, rather than with a cable.

There are three ways to do data on a CDMA Treo 650:
    1. 1xRTT (~ 50kb/sec., typical): #777
    2. QNC (aka Quick2Net, 14.4kb/sec): #777 (at least on Verizon)
    3. analog modem (9600 baud): [dial your ISP's POTS number]

The first two use your wireless provider as your ISP, and are digital end-to-end. The last requires you to additionally pay for an ISP. If you go with method #3, Sprint (or other provider) will definitely know you're connecting another device to your Treo, because they have to open up an external phone line to your ISP.

If you use method 1 or 2, I would be very surprised if Sprint could tell if you're supplying a connection to a PC or Mac. QNC is an older (slow) circuit-switched type connection, and isn't really worth considering given Sprint's reasonable charge for Vision (1xRTT).

In short, unless you have some need to be inside a firewall or somesuch, why not just use Sprint as your ISP and save yourself some money?

Cheers
    Visor Deluxe -> m125 -> Tungsten|T -> Treo 650 (CDMA)
    Quote Originally Posted by XJCoupe
    In short, unless you have some need to be inside a firewall or somesuch, why not just use Sprint as your ISP and save yourself some money?

Cheers
    I do. Ain't Sprint great?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    So does anyone have a clear answer on this? If I use my PDA, via bluetooth, to connect to vision via #777, will I be charged extra?
    http://www.pcsintel.com/modules.php?...ticle&sid=1098 I saw this today, stating that Sprint has no way to monitor the data usage, other than the amount being used.
    Any experiences?
    I too would like the final answer on this... should I use the bluetooth route or buy PDAnet?
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgrado
    So does anyone have a clear answer on this? If I use my PDA, via bluetooth, to connect to vision via #777, will I be charged extra?
    http://www.pcsintel.com/modules.php?...ticle&sid=1098 I saw this today, stating that Sprint has no way to monitor the data usage, other than the amount being used.
    Any experiences?
    I have used my Treo 650 DUN through my Powerbook. I have never seen a charge of any kind.