Pros and Cons

Sprint:
    Pros
    1. Cheap data
    2. good coverage
    3.enabled full bluetooth on their latest PDA/handheld

Cons
    1. 650 not in stock or the 600
    2. its 930 in the morn and no one is at the store!
    3. Worse CS I've ever had....I wanted to go through the phone and strangle a CS person a few times
    4. The coverage was terrible ( depends where you are)
    5.generally inferior coverage; net loser from number portability
    6.I completely agree with the absolute, most atrocious customer service from Sprint

Verizon
    Pros
    1. good coverage
    2. 600 is in stock
    3.Possible new data plan with unlimited data for $15/month
    4.good things come to those who wait
    5.enabled full bluetooth on their latest PDA/handheld

Cons
    1. lots of bling bling for data.
    2. will be at least 3 mounth for the 650 (NO IDEA when 650 will be released )
    3.if they are waiting for EVDO to be integrated into the 650 before its release, it might push back release even further ( not sure what EVDO means)

Please add all your info and i will edit to keep a runing total!
    thanks
    zc
    Last edited by striperbooter; 12/09/2004 at 10:01 AM.
    Verizon....

Possible new data plan with unlimited data for $15/month (testing now...maybe released in Jan '05).
    NO IDEA when 650 will be released (speculated as early as Jan '05 and MUCH later).
    Also, some horror stories with $1000 bills for people that didn't get unlimited data. The phone contiously pings the network using minutes. You can turn this function off....but if you don't have a unlimited plan, be careful.

Sprint....

Worse CS I've ever had....I wanted to go through the phone and strangle a CS person a few times (not really, but you get my point). I left because of this and will never go back. The coverage was terrible...but that shouldn't be in your consideration because it varies depending on where you are.
    pro: (for both)
    they "get it" - sprint and verizon both enabled full bluetooth on their latest PDA/handheld (audiovox 6600) (big improvement over v710 verizon debacle)

pro (verizon)
    data service (EVDO) significantly faster than what the sprint treo 650 offers

con (verizon)
    if they are waiting for EVDO to be integrated into the 650 before its release, it might push back release even further

pro? (verizon)
    good things come to those who wait

con (sprint)
    generally inferior coverage; net loser from number portability
    I completely agree with the absolute, most atrocious customer service from Sprint. I guess coming from Verizon I really didn't know how "good" I had it.

Sprint CS was so bad and such utter nonsense that I happily retured my 650 within the 14-day period and went back to my trusty VZ 600. While I had my gripes with the 650 memory issue, it was really Sprint CS (and culture, for that matter) that hadme singing the VZ praises. Don't get me wrong - I think VZ has a LOT of work to do in other areas (competitive data rates, customer loyalty/retention plans)

Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    Verizon....

Possible new data plan with unlimited data for $15/month (testing now...maybe released in Jan '05).
    NO IDEA when 650 will be released (speculated as early as Jan '05 and MUCH later).
    Also, some horror stories with $1000 bills for people that didn't get unlimited data. The phone contiously pings the network using minutes. You can turn this function off....but if you don't have a unlimited plan, be careful.

Sprint....

Worse CS I've ever had....I wanted to go through the phone and strangle a CS person a few times (not really, but you get my point). I left because of this and will never go back. The coverage was terrible...but that shouldn't be in your consideration because it varies depending on where you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyTheEagle
    con (verizon)
    if they are waiting for EVDO to be integrated into the 650 before its release, it might push back release even further
    Wait. Are you implying that the 650 is capable of EVDO, or at least that a software/hardware upgrade will make it so?
    yup. don't quote me on it (lol) but VZW managed to get the audiovox 6600 to be EVDO capable while sprint didn't seem to care a whit, and has its customers downloading just a hair above dial-up speed. now if VZW is going to target their PDAphones (including the 650 and the audiovox 6600) as enterprise-class corporate phones (which they have done thus far, releasing them on b2b first, including non-camera versions as variants for sale) there is no way they are going to let the 650 out the door without EVDO.
  7.    #7  
    what is EVDO?
    Quote Originally Posted by striperbooter
    what is EVDO?
    Real 3G data network.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    achieves 250-400kps data transfer. that's right 1.5-3x faster than many home DSL setups.

just imagine the treo 650 with vzw's evdo streaming video service (possibly to come out at a fixed $15/mo unlimited data+video when not used to provide internet access for other computers)... plus near-instaneous email, attachments, browsing. ooooh
    To me it is simple.

If you want the newest technology and the lowest cost for voice and data, Sprint wins.
    If you want decent customer service and the widest coverage for voice and data, VZW wins.

You have to make trade-offs. I've chosen VZW because I've become dependent on Blackberry function everywhere but prefer it in a PDA (currently a Treo 600). When/if the phone breaks or the service is down, I don't have the time to hassle around with reps. I want them to answer the phone and fix the problem --- with quickness. Today, I no choice but to pay a little more to get what I want.
    Has any had experience with VZN in Atlanta, GA?
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    Has any had experience with VZN in Atlanta, GA?
    I know it's a two-state stretch...but I'm in Raleigh, NC and VZW is MUCH better here. I was getting dropped calls in my HOUSE with Sprint. And I'm in the states capital....right beside RTP (Research Triangle Park) and also beside three MAJOR universities....NC State, UNC, and Duke, so this area is obviously very hi-tech.

But still....I'm two states away from you....you "could" be surround by Sprint towers
    We deploy Treo phones from all carriers with the company I work for.

Sprint - Geek friendly. 2.5G is faster than others, especially with weak signals. Coolest phones/features first. Customer support may suck sometimes but so does everyone else. EVDO later than Verizon but will be nation-wide next summer to end of next year. Cheapest data, no megabyte count. Coverage is pretty good nationwide, but can be lacking in outer metro areas.

Verizon - EVDO out first but only certain markets; nationwide by end of next year. Got transferred 5 times for one support call. Verizon will probably be last with the T650. Coverage is great on East Coast but below average elsewhere.

I like Sprint because they are willing to work with us on 3rd party apps using the data service. Sprint doesn't care how you use their data. The behave like an open ISP. Verizon is picky about how you use their data service. They are difficult when using 3rd party comm apps and will attempt to sell you their own services and not help with other alternatives.
    Last edited by xenophonite; 12/11/2004 at 01:03 AM.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    i'm not sure i'd give sprint "good coverage" their voice coverage is acceptable if you pony up $5 a month to roam onto verizon's network - and even then they will bill you if you go over 50%

as for data (which is kind of the nice part of the treo 650) they are clearly lacking and cannot go onto verizon's network except as a basic dial-up modem.
    xenophonite,

While I am in total agreement with Verizon lacking on the data side, customer churn, JD Power surveys, and information from hobbyist websites such as this one do not support your claim of lackluster customer service and below average coverage everywhere other than the East Coast.
    OK.. I'm simply basing my comments from of our user base, which is all over the US. I personally don't find Verizon support to be any better than other carriers.
    but we can all agree that sprint's customer service is significantly worse than most carriers
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyTheEagle
    but we can all agree that sprint's customer service is significantly worse than most carriers
    AGREED!
    Coming from Nextel; I didn't realize how bad it was; My phone didn't work indoors most of the time. My treo 650 sprint pcs phone works everywhere my nextel IDEN phone didn't. I'm happy for now! (still a virgin; tomorrow is my 14th day)
    Yeah, the Treo 650 is the first phone I've ever had that worked flawlessly in the elevator of my condo building.

I still do not agree that Sprint's CS is significantly worse than others. I deal with all carriers regularly and typically have mixed results with each. But I usually know exactly what I'm needing from them. BTW, did Sprint switch their support over to IBM yet? I know that they planned to outsource support to IBM. I'm thinking Verizon uses IBM as well - or maybe Nextel?
    Last edited by xenophonite; 12/10/2004 at 10:41 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast