Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I am a newly registered member, but a longtime reader of this site. I use a Treo 300 because I prefer the clamshell design and large keyboard, but I've been following the developments of the 650 and think an upgrade is imminent.

My local Sprint store has the 650 in stock and I am eligible for the $150 upgrade rebate -- as long as I buy it directly from the Sprint store. Is that true? I was under the impression that I could buy the unit anywhere and then get the mail-in rebate from Sprint.

Also, my primary phone is the one that qualifies for the upgrade (Samsung A-500) but my secondary phone is the six-month-old Treo 300. I want the 650 to replace my 300 but the Sprint rep said I need to keep the 650 on my primary phone number until I get the rebate (roughly six weeks).

I hoped to initially replace the A-500 with the 650, and then immediately swap the numbers to replicate the set-up I currently have (A-500 as primary phone, 650 as secondary).

Thanks for the input.

Robyn
    From what I understand, the $150 rebate should be instant - not mail-in. I was told several times about a mail-in rebate but, on the palmone site it says instant. Once your bill has the rebate, you can swap ESN's.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak
    From what I understand, the $150 rebate should be instant - not mail-in. I was told several times about a mail-in rebate but, on the palmone site it says instant. Once your bill has the rebate, you can swap ESN's.
    No. Existing customers who have had the same ESN activated on a particular number for 18 consecutive months qualify for a mail-in rebate. Only customers new to Sprint or customers adding a line of service qualify for an instant rebate. There are a very, very few exceptions. Certain customers handpicked by Sprint (I do not know the criteria) qualify for an instant rebate on the upgrade. It is very rare. You can get the mail-in rebate when you buy the phone from any of Sprint's partners, but if you are one of the lucky few eligible for the instant rebate upgrade, then you must do it at a Sprint Corporate Store.

Hope that helps.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Thanks for the responses. I spoke with another Sprint rep last night and he confirmed that the original information is correct.

I am now trying to mentally justify the upgrade to the 650. I love my 300 but would really like to have the camera too.

Robyn