1.    #1  
    Was in the Verizon Wireless store today in Asheville, NC. The service clerk told me that Verizon "had the 650 listed on there company computer system and awaiting the offical roll out notice".

Hope it's soon!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Is it me or did the prices drop for the T600's on the Verizon Wireless website? For some reason I thought it was higher than $399?
    the word is that vzw tested both the 600 and 650 at the same time and are holding off until the sprint exclusivity wears off.
    Can anyone else stop by a VZW store and try to confirm this? Not that I don't trust NC-Bill....but I don't trust individual VZW salespeople!
    The price on the 600 definitely used to be $449, and now it is $399. Do you think this is a sign VZW is trying to clear out inventory to make way for the 650? Or maybe it is just trying to be competitive with other carriers who will be rolling out the 650...
    Manager of my local Verizon store seems to be very in the know and candid. Tells me VZW will not have the 650 until mid-2005. However he suggested I buy a 650 directly from PalmOne and he could activate it. But PalmOne disavows availability (or schedule).
    My corp. VZW rep, said it would be available in 2-3 months with a disclaimer. This is how he stated it, "Well the Treo 650 should be coming out in 2 months, but no one ever told you that."
    Quote Originally Posted by nutreo
    My corp. VZW rep, said it would be available in 2-3 months with a disclaimer. This is how he stated it, "Well the Treo 650 should be coming out in 2 months, but no one ever told you that."
    Hmm...is that January (1), February (2), and March (3)? Or December (1), January (2), February (3).

If it's 2 months...it could be January or February....not that bad of a wait.....just long enough to get a lot of the bugs worked out.
    especially in light of the

1. memory issue
    2. EVDO potential
    3. quality-control issues that have cropped up (albeit very rarely)
    that's great people but one thing remaines. VZW for any pda is going to much more expensive per month than Sprint. Breakdown:

VZW pda plan is 50/month compared to Vision being 15/month
    VZW's plan does not include SMS or MMS at all. SPrint includes 100 SMS and unlimited MMS
    VZW from what i've heard is set up to do a better job of monitoring dat usage and tethering (remmeber they still charge airtime for wireless web on their phones)

That's my rant . I'm not bashing VZW I seriously considered their network but I added up the cost and was going to cost me an arm and leg.
    My Bluetooth "Toys"

Sprint Treo 700p
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT w/UConnect
    HP DeskJet 450wbt
    VZW is "testing" a new $15/month data plan. It may be released in January.

Here's the link to the article...

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000710021635/
    and like my grandfather would say,"What's the use of something if you don't use it"

I guess we could say: "What's the use of a Treo if you can't get a signal"

I don't think anyone can argue against the fact that Sprint has inferior coverage.

We also can't argue with the fact that Verizon overcharges for data.

But, when you add your $5 to get *some* level of use of Verizon's network and then pay another $5 to get PCS-to-PCS calling (all free on Verizon) Sprint doesn't sound so cheap either.

Meanwhile, we all know that Verizon is well into broad testing (right now on the LG VX8000) for its $15 a month unlimited EVDO service which is 5-10x faster than Sprint's 650 service.

And we also know that Sprint has suffered a *Net Loss* of subscribers since Local Number Portability, and that the mobile business is all about economies of scale, and that unless Sprint either charges more or wins a lot more subscribers, it'll never be able to invest in its infrastructure.

For me, even if Verizon takes a bit longer, I'll wait. If I jump ship it'll be to a GSM carrier to give me some international operational capability (and even then I wouldn't buy from AT&T-Cingular or T-Mobile, I'd want a truly unlocked phone that I could use with any company's SIM)

And that's not even throwing in the worst customer service in industry! Can you hear me now, Claire? You've double charged me for the umpteenth time!
    Competitiveness with other carriers who are/will be rolling out the 650.

Quote Originally Posted by hch6774
    The price on the 600 definitely used to be $449, and now it is $399. Do you think this is a sign VZW is trying to clear out inventory to make way for the 650? Or maybe it is just trying to be competitive with other carriers who will be rolling out the 650...