Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I am new to SprintPCS (2 days and counting...) and was wondering if I should opt for the $5 "America" roaming option. I am located in Los Angeles (Santa Monica) and drive to San Francisco on occasion via I-5. When I travel, I am generally in major metropolitan areas, like Washington DC Metro and NYC Metro.

I was wondering how often one would actually roam onto another network in the types of areas I am in, especially in LA and SF. I don't think I've roamed just yet that I can tell.

Also, if I add the "America" roaming option, does that mean I can roam onto Verizon 800MHz CDMA networks? Would that increase my coverage area substantially, or am I generally covered by SprintPCS in the areas that Verizon offers 800MHz CDMA? Do I get voicemail notification while roaming? I know I don't have access to Vision.

TIA.
    If you are in major metropolitan areas, you won't have a problem with roaming. The only places I've roamed have Spanish Bay near Monterey and the California mountains near Ridgecrest. Big cities? No problems.
    I dropped my Sprint Roaming feature after about 5 months. I used it rarely. I'm in Santa Monica also. I don't travel much. I found that where I don't get sprint, I very rarely got a roaming signal. You should try it and drop it if you don't end up using it.
    The only place I routinely roam in the DC area is on the subway, which has only Verizon service. HTH,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    The only place I routinely roam in the DC area is on the subway, which has only Verizon service. HTH,
    That's interesting. I didn't even know the DC Metro system had service at all. One thing I noticed in San Francisco was that my old ATT TDMA phone had full bars in the Embarcadero Bart station underground, while Sprint was dead. I was even able to carry a nearly full signal from the Embarcadero , through the tunnels, and into the Mission Street stations. Unbelieveable!
    Don't buy! The Treo 650 cannot make calls in the Roam Mode. The phone will receive calls but will not make outgoing calls. Software problem.

Russ
    r u serious, no outgoing calls while roaming. I'll have to run to the mall and get in roaming mode and find out.
    that's amazing that the only time I ever roam is in that mall. I'm thinking because of all that surveilance and door alarms.

(I think I roam in the mall because "they" don't want consumers on the phone while they shop.
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    I'd dump the roaming option. I live in South Florida, and I have exactly 1 minute of roaming on my bill right now. I'm sure that 1 minute was because I lost a tower for a second. I don't think it's worth it.

Spend the $5 on the insurance plan, if you're not already doing so. That's far more worthwhile.
    The only time I roam is when I am deep inside a building. Sprint's 1900mhz signal just cant penetrate like VZs 800mhz.

When I am outdoors, no matter where my travels have taken me-
    Sprint is there and solid.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    In six years on Sprint in California, I've roamed only a handful of times...all of them in the mountains. I agree with jmill72x...spend the extra money on insurance. You're more likely to regret dropping your phone occasionally rather than dropping a call occasionally.
    I force roaming off. Never use it. Never need it.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by scrinch
    You're more likely to regret dropping your phone occasionally rather than dropping a call occasionally.
    Truer words have never been spoken!
    Quote Originally Posted by rtanger
    Don't buy! The Treo 650 cannot make calls in the Roam Mode. The phone will receive calls but will not make outgoing calls. Software problem.

Russ

ouch. that's a dealbreaker for me. i was going to pick up a sprint 650 to give as a gift to someone who currently uses verizon, but this is gonna nix it for me.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I've been placing calls while roaming with no problems. Occasionally I'll find myself on a roaming network where I have to dial a '1' before the 10 digit phone number, but it has been working.
    never, since I have it disabled. when I signed up I decided I would add the roaming option later if it was necessary. It hasn't been for me, since I am mostly in metro areas.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I guess I would recommend the roaming option. (am I the only one? )
    I too am on Sprint's network most of the time, but every now and then I find myself off the beaten path and need a roaming signal. For only $5/month I think it's worth it. It only takes about an 8 minute roaming call to hit 5 bucks.

Also, I share minutes with my wife and the roaming plan covers both of us. Since she travels more frequently than I do (and she has a tri-band phone) I definitely like knowing that she's covered.
    I have roaming disabled and have never been without a signal no matter where I've been in the U.S. and I've been all over the country this past year.
    I once drove (in a RV) from Las Vagas to Salt Lake City. Lots of roaming when your out of the metropolitian areas. No problems when I was in Las Vagas or Salt Lake City. Also no issues in Flordia, Georgia, and anywhere else I've traveled...it's just the in between.

In Minnesota, Sprint has all the major freeways throughout the state covered now. If you wander more than 30-60 min off the freeways on your way to Fargo or Aimes you tend to roam...

Depends on what you're doing. You should be able to get a coverage map from Sprint that will show where they do and do not have coverage. Just visit your locak Sprint Store.
    I live in the Los angeles area as well and i do not have a problem with roaming other than in MY HOUSE!!!! Which is extremely annoying. I have two residence one in the san fernando valley and the other in San clemente and in both places i get roaming... really annoying but i still dont need the $5 roaming i just ignore the calls.
    In NYC, I roam to Verizon from Sprint when in Penn Station. I agree that with the family plan it is worth the single $5 charge to have everyone covered.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast