Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1.    #1  
    i recetly bought a treo 650 directly from palmone. (i liked the idea of the free bluetooth headset)

    does anyone know if/how i can get equipment insurance on it. sprint has it for $5/month but i am not sure how to do this if i did not get the phone directly from them.

    i would call sprint CS and ask them but it seems to me that its hard to get a knowledgeable person on the phone; and i am trying to see if there is someone here that could enlighten me on the topic.

    since the T650 that i got can ONLY be used with sprint, i don't think its an unsual or unreasonable request, but i imagine the customer services reps usually do not run into this situation and in my experience, as soon as you take them even a little bit "out of the box" they get confused.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by uribudnik
    i recetly bought a treo 650 directly from palmone. (i liked the idea of the free bluetooth headset)

    does anyone know if/how i can get equipment insurance on it. sprint has it for $5/month but i am not sure how to do this if i did not get the phone directly from them.

    i would call sprint CS and ask them but it seems to me that its hard to get a knowledgeable person on the phone; and i am trying to see if there is someone here that could enlighten me on the topic.

    since the T650 that i got can ONLY be used with sprint, i don't think its an unsual or unreasonable request, but i imagine the customer services reps usually do not run into this situation and in my experience, as soon as you take them even a little bit "out of the box" they get confused.

    the 'sprint' insurance isn't actually from sprint, it's through a private insurance company callked LockLine. their rates are high, in addition to what is effectively the 'deductible' - $50 for each claim on top of the monthly which adds up to $60 a year.

    i insured my T650 with my existing insurance company, state farm. $30 a year, zero deductible.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    ...which adds up to $60 a year.

    i insured my T650 with my existing insurance company, state farm. $30 a year, zero deductible.
    yeah, i thought about that, but doing it thru sprint/lockline may be advantageous in terms quicker turn around for equipment replacement. i got my treo 300 directly from sprint when it first came out (i forgot how long ago that is). after about a year and a half it just died on me. i went to my local sprint store and they replaced it on the spot. that is the kind of replacement warranty i am looking for.(if its even available) i am not aware of the current offering/program from lockline. where can i get more info?

    i am hoping for something that can give me a quick turn around in case of a major equipment failure. being able to walk into a sprint store and get a new device was a very good option.
  4. #4  
    Sprint store's will only do a direct replacement on a warranty issue. Any insurance issue they tell you to call Lock/line (which is owned by Sprint)

    Lock/line is pretty quick. My claim took 6 days. The ERP includes a warranty portion. if your phone fails due to a warranty issue the deductible is only $10. I only have the $2 a month part that covers warranty issues only. I'll take responsibilty for drops but I let lockline cover me for warranty stuff.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman_0206
    Sprint store's will only do a direct replacement on a warranty issue. Any insurance issue they tell you to call Lock/line (which is owned by Sprint)
    so, if i am understanding you right, if the phone dies (as in a hardware/labor/parts issue) sprint is supposed to replace it because its covered by warranty; but if it breaks because i dropped it, then i better hope i got coverage from lock/line. is that the right interpretation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman_0206
    Lock/line is pretty quick. My claim took 6 days. The ERP includes a warranty portion. if your phone fails due to a warranty issue the deductible is only $10. I only have the $2 a month part that covers warranty issues only. I'll take responsibilty for drops but I let lockline cover me for warranty stuff.
    can you please explain ERP, i'm not sure what the acronym stands for.

    and, can i still buy lockline coverage even though i got the phone directly from palm one? any ideas on who else i can contact for this besides sprint CS? (how do i reach lock/line directly?)

    about your claim, when you got your phone replaced, does lock/line wait to receive your broken phone or do they send out a replacement right away?

    it sounds like you would recomed them, is that so?
  6. 1SFG's Avatar
    Posts
    191 Posts
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    #6  
    the insurance that i have just went up from $3.25 to $5 per month. There are two parts to the insurance coverage provided by Lock Line - which is the only insurance you can get through Sprint. $3 covers what they call the Equipment Replacement Program, while the remaining $2 covers the Enhanced Warranty Program Service Contract. You can opt for one or the other, with the replacement program costing you $4 with a $50 deductible for each replacement, or the warranty prgram for $2 with a $10 processing fee for each replacement. They don't care where you bought the phone as they realize that not everyone purchases their Sprint phone directly from sprint. For example, my first phone was purchased at a Sprint store, my second at Radio Shack and my third on ebay. Once I called Sprint up to activate the phone, it would show up on their website whenever I would log in to check my minutes, pay my bill, etc. The insurance automatically adjusts to cover the new phone.

    How does it work? Effectice 1 January 2005, replacements for Sprint Phones or PCS connection cards due to mechanical and electrical failure can be handled at any Sprint PCS store. You take the phone in within 60 days of the incident and once they approve the request and collect the $10, you get a replacement; or you can call an 800 number and after they approve the request, and of course collect the $10, a replacement phone is delivered to you - within 3 business days typically according to Sprint.

    If you need a replacement due to loss, theft, or accidental damage, the old method still applies. That is you contact lock like at the same 800 that you could use above (800-584-3666) and file a request with lock\line within 60 days of the incident. lock\line collects your info and the non-refundable $50 deductible.

    I'll probably keep the coverage at $5 per month, but anastrophe's post above has me leaning towards my own insurance company. I'm also fairly sure this thing would be covered under my renters insurance as well. I may be paying double insurance for no real reason. I have, however, had to use the insurance once in the 6 years I've had it and the process was a relatively pain free one.
    1st SFG (A)

    if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
  7.    #7  
    thanks for the info 1sfg. that is what i was looking for.

Posting Permissions