Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Where did you guys buy the Treo 650 from? Directly from PalmOne for $599? Or buy it with a Sprint Plan for $449?
    My morals made me buy it direct from PalmOne for $599. I'm stupid, I know.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tuctboh
    My morals made me buy it direct from PalmOne for $599. I'm stupid, I know.
    There's nothing wrong with having morals... just curious, if you had no such morals what would your options have been?
    Primary option would probably have been a brick through the window of the store up the street from where I work.

Alot of people are going to : http://www.oti-solutions.com/real.html , but I think it might lose alot of the appeal once you paid the termination fee.

Truthfully, I don't know what you could do.
    does anyone know if the conversion process reversible if I restore all the original MSL, etc. info? will I run into any problems trying to get back on the sprint network?
    Quote Originally Posted by dahwong1
    does anyone know if the conversion process reversible if I restore all the original MSL, etc. info? will I run into any problems trying to get back on the sprint network?
    For the 600, all it took was resetting the MSL back to the original setting and re-installing the firmware. I don't think there has been a firmware release yet for the the 650. There were a couple of firmware updates for the 600.

There may be another way, too. Probably by restoring all the original settings then installing the Sprint PRL (if you have one).
    Quote Originally Posted by pjo1966
    ... just curious, if you had no such morals what would your options have been?
    ROTFLMAO!! That was too funny. I totally did a double take on that post !
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC
    ROTFLMAO!! That was too funny. I totally did a double take on that post !
    Mines,

Can you upload Kyocera Cameleon for me..
    THnaks
    Guys--While I admine Mines skills w/ a soldering iron, isn't there software that emulates a Serial connection through Bluetooth??
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    For the 600, all it took was resetting the MSL back to the original setting and re-installing the firmware. I don't think there has been a firmware release yet for the the 650. There were a couple of firmware updates for the 600.

There may be another way, too. Probably by restoring all the original settings then installing the Sprint PRL (if you have one).
    thanx GalenMD. is there a procedure to extract the firmware before I go messing around? or would I need to wait until the release updates? is it also possible to get the sprint PRL in a d/l'able format?
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I'm torn between going with a V710 and flashing the software that's floating around, or going with the 650... any thoughts?
    What does the finally product look like after acquiring the connector and the data cable. According to the illustration, it seems that the T5 connector is only connected @ 3 or 4 points. Need some help with clarification..

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by pjo1966
    I'm torn between going with a V710 and flashing the software that's floating around, or going with the 650... any thoughts?
    I think you have to decide which device is more necessary to you before anything else. If you need true PDA functionality with your phone, then you need to look at getting into this conversion effort for the 650. It seems complicated with respect to the cable, but the rest has been fairly well documented. The bluetooth is currently crippled on the Sprint unit, but early results have already show a way to get around that.

If not, then the V710 is an interesting prospect. With respect to the V710, all the hacking does is allow you to download the pictures you take with the phone's camera instead of getting charged .25 for each picture that you e-mail and for swapping ringtones without using GIN. It will already do the linkage to a bluetooth enabled PDA or laptop to the internet if you want to. The negative is that it has been said that you cannot get unlimited data for $45 applied to the phone. Only the minutes only usage. But my corp. rep told me (at his offering, not mine) that he could have the unlimited plan applied to a V710 if I was interested; so who knows for sure...

Personally, I want the best of both worlds and since I won't change my service from Verizon, that means getting a Sprint phone and modifying it to Verizon Service. I just don't know if I have that much of a desire for all of this yet.

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    As I said on other threads, Q2 '05 is when VZW will offer the 650, right after P1 has worked out the memory, microphone and other issues. After a number of conversations with VZW data techs, I believe that the 650 is stalled in product testing. Two months ago everyone was complaining, but in retrospect maybe it is a good thing to wait. Unless of course you have Mines on your IT team, then you can go ahead and get your Sprint 650 :-)
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I thought the recent hacks also allowed the V710 to transfer the phone book to a car w/ Bluetooth.

When Verizon offers the 650, won't it most likely be crippled like the 710 is now?
    I checked local sources for a Tungsten 5/Treo cable to sacrifice the connector to build a serial USB cable, but all of the cables I have found don't have pins on 10 & 11. They only have pins on the two USB outs.

If anyone that purchased a cable with all of the pins installed, please pas along any pertinent info (namufacturer, model ,etc.)

I managed to buildup two contacts after pushing wire through the empty 10 & 11 slots. I cobbled it together with a VX4400 data cable with the prolific chip and successfully read off the filesys in BitPIM. Kyocera PST 3.2 will not see the phone though. I don't know if it's a cable issue or wrong version of software.

Aaron
    Last edited by joatman; 12/10/2004 at 09:08 AM.
    I just bought the regular Treo 650 USB cable and took it apart. If you take the plastic case off you will see a metal shield which is soldered to ground. If you de-solder it and remove it, you will be able to remove the part of the connector that has the pins which are connected to a little PC board. If you de-solder the USB pins from the PC board, you can remove them and move them into the slots for the xmit and rcv of the RS-232. Then you can solder those pins to the wires on the Radio Shack converter cable. The only tools you should need are a solder sucker, soldering iron, and some solder.

That's what I did for my cable and it works fine.
    Thanks! I'll give it a try. I briefly thought about trying to get it apart, but talked myself out of it.

Were you able to get the 650 to connect using Kyocera PST?
    joatman,

Check your PM.

drxacto