Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2530313233343536373839 LastLast
    I just did, although haven't updated the PRL to VZ yet. I can still make calls - but seems like only through Sprint service.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    I just did, although haven't updated the PRL to VZ yet. I can still make calls - but seems like only through Sprint service.
    Illustreous,
    I to have a Verizonized Sprint phone. Are you able to get back to to the Verizon service yet? I'll wait to see how you're doing before I update. BTW, did you do a custom rom from Shadowmite?
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    When I get on the train to go back home there's a perfect spot where only Verizon service exists...that's when I'll dial 228 and zap the PRL
    Yes, I also did a custom ROM. Sadly, that's going to get wiped out.

Quote Originally Posted by simba
    Illustreous,
    I to have a Verizonized Sprint phone. Are you able to get back to to the Verizon service yet? I'll wait to see how you're doing before I update. BTW, did you do a custom rom from Shadowmite?
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Yes, I also did a custom ROM. Sadly, that's going to get wiped out.
    I'll wait and see what your results are - please do post your results. I may wait til Shadowmite updates his custom roms to this update for our verizoned phones.

I'll let you be the tester before I give it a try.
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    I may wait til Shadowmite updates his custom roms to this update for our verizoned phones.
    I'm not sure if this is worth waiting for myself. How much memory is gained by eliminating a few small apps from ROM? To me, the dial delay has been the most frustrating aspect of this device. So much so, that it has distracted me from all the pluses it has. This fix will tilt my opinion of the 650 into a more balanced Phone/PDA (instead of a PDA-centric device).

I'm gonna bite the bullet tonight and post my results.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    I'm not sure if this is worth waiting for myself. How much memory is gained by eliminating a few small apps from ROM? To me, the dial delay has been the most frustrating aspect of this device. So much so, that it has distracted me from all the pluses it has. This fix will tilt my opinion of the 650 into a more balanced Phone/PDA (instead of a PDA-centric device).

I'm gonna bite the bullet tonight and post my results.
    Okay, let us know later on what your results are. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for the both of you!
    Ok guys, I'm posting this message from my Treo so be easy on me for typos and such.
    I did the ROM Update and subsequent PRL flash and it was a success! The dialing is much smoother and there is no or minimal, at best, lag. This is how it should've been in the first place.
    To expand on that point - once a number is punched in (via screen or keyboard) and the send button is hit, the Treo immediately moves to the dialing screen. The dialing (phone ringqconnection) actually begins about a second later. This is far better than the 3-6 seconds I was getting before.

I didn't notice any changes on voice clarity - everything seems to sound the same.

Memory seems to have increased, but don't know how much since I had a slim custom ROM and now I have this Sprint ROM with RealPlayer, etc. There's definitely a difference though.

switching between apps feels a bit smoother and snappier as well.

keyboard light dimming works well and accomplishes its goal. I think this will be great for overall power consumtion issues.

I'll try DUN tonight with my Powerbook and see how that works out.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Ok guys, I'm posting this message from my Treo so be easy on me for typos and such.
    I did the ROM Update and subsequent PRL flash and it was a success! The dialing is much smoother and there is no or minimal, at best, lag. This is how it should've been in the first place.
    To expand on that point - once a number is punched in (via screen or keyboard) and the send button is hit, the Treo immediately moves to the dialing screen. The dialing (phone ringqconnection) actually begins about a second later. This is far better than the 3-6 seconds I was getting before.

I didn't notice any changes on voice clarity - everything seems to sound the same.

Memory seems to have increased, but don't know how much since I had a slim custom ROM and now I have this Sprint ROM with RealPlayer, etc. There's definitely a difference though.

switching between apps feels a bit smoother and snappier as well.

keyboard light dimming works well and accomplishes its goal. I think this will be great for overall power consumtion issues.

I'll try DUN tonight with my Powerbook and see how that works out.
    Let me see if I got this right:
    You did the new firmware update, then you did the custom rom, and finally the PRL flash?

So you didn't do a back-up first and hard-reset your phone first before doing the firmware update? Then you did the custom rom, and PRL flash. Which custom rom did you install? I have custom rom #3 with the previous firmware.

I'm still at work so I won't be able to do this til later tonight or maybe tomorrow. I just want to make sure I get the sequence correctly.

I'd like to see how your DUN / BT works out.

GalenMD is going to update later. Hope his works out too!
    No, I did not do the custom ROM update. That was done for the 1.08 update. Right now I just have the Sprint 1.08 ROM.
    I have a verizonized 650 and used one of Shadowmite's custom ROMs. It worked fine for me, just followed the directions exactly. Once done with the install, my phone would work, but I couldn't do the *228. I ran the Chameleon software again, followed the part of the conversion instructions that told you to alter the settings, namely change the PRL to the Verizon one.

Once done, I was able to do the *228 and I'm good to go!

The custom ROM saved me a bunch of memory. I used #5 (no Versamail, Realplayer or the Sprint-specific apps), and gained approx 11 MB.

Hope this helps some!
    OK, guys (and gals).

I have completed the firmware upgrade and have to say that it could not have gone smoother. My treo is working better than when I first bought it. I don't know how, but I got the PRL on the first try. Maybe the PRL wasn't updated? I doubt it.

The dialing delay is gone. The red phone power button works really fast now. I no longer have to wait or push twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Has anybody tried the new firmware with a Vz'fied 650? I plan on installing it this evening when I'm not on call and don't need my phone as bad.

Last time, I was never able to reconnect my Treo with the Kyocera PST, so I had to search for the PRL by roaming in a "high vz/low sprint" signal area. I expect that I will have to do the same this time.
    Just a quick note that MAY have been your problem, since I see you got your PRL updated now, when running the Kyocera software to communicate with your treo, make sure you shutdown the Hotsync software on your PC. I was racking my brain for hours the last time I had to redo my PRL via the Kyocera software. The hotsync program causes a conflict with the USB com port and the Kyocera software won't be able to connect.
    I just updated my Sprint update on my Verizonize phone as well and it went very smooth. The updates have been great (dial delay fixed, screen/keyboard dim, etc.) and adding the PRL back on the phone went smoothly as well.

On a side note, I got outta my car today and my phone was not in the holster all the way and BAM, hit the concrete sidewalk and the battery and cover comes off. Man, my heart nearly came out of my chest. I picked it up, brushed it and it was working great. Just a few small scratches and everything works great still. Gotta give it to Palmone for not only for these updates but for making a one hell of a strong phone.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Updated today. All went well except my custom rom #3 didn't take but I have more memory - from 6+ to 11+! I've Hotsync'ed several times and I still have QuickTour, RealPlayer, GetBC, and Download. So anyone with a custom rom didn't have this problem? Maybe time I learned how to make my own custom roms.
    Updated today. All went well except my custom rom #3 didn't take but I have more memory - from 6+ to 11+! I've Hotsync'ed several times and I still have QuickTour, RealPlayer, GetBC, and Download. So anyone with a custom rom didn't have this problem? Maybe time I learned how to make my own custom roms.
    I used #5 and it went fine - no VersaMail, GetBC, Download, QuickTour or Realplayer (though I wish I could have kept RP, but not that big of a deal, will find another program in other threads).
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I'm curious, how did you all update to 1.12 and still have your custom rom intact?

How I did it:
    1. Hotsync first
    2. Hard reset phone
    3. Started the new updater file - followed Sprint's instructions
    4. Hotsync back my files

That's it. Maybe I shouldn't have hard reset my phone and just updated over my custom rom.
    I am curious too WildeMan. Can you give us a play by play on what you did? Thanks in advance.
    I'm curious, how did you all update to 1.12 and still have your custom rom intact?
    Unless he created a new custom ROM using the 1.12 file set, he didn't as flashing with the stock 1.12 will over-write the previous ROM. Most likely the cutom ROM is still 1.08 version.
    Any one have a serial cable in the Louisville/Lexington/Cincinnati area ?