Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 242930313233343536373839 LastLast
    You are definitely not getting the data from the phone. You are in passthrough mode, right? I actually found my wires to be the opposite of what was listed on the instructions. You may want to try switching the yellow and blue cables to see what happens.
    Yup...sure enough, that was the problem. User error. For some reason I focused on the Tx and Rx pin numbers in the instructions, but missed that last little sentence which pointed out what should have been obvious to me, and that is to connect Rx to Tx and vice versa. Duh. <embarrassed>
    I have something odd going on. Yesterday I switched back from Sprint to VZW, and initially gave them the ESN of a V60 that was used on the VZW network before. The port got done late last night, so I programmed the V60 with *228 option 1, power cycled it, and just to be sure I also did *228 option 2 to get the latest PRL, which was set to 50288. All was well.

This afternoon I converted my Sprint Treo 650 for use with VZW, and that went without a hitch. Called a CSR, got my ESN swapped, and went through the same programming routine.

But...this time I got PRL 50287! My reception on this PRL is absolutely crap, I can't find a single piece of info on it. Tried several times to reprogram and update the PRL, but no change. What gives?

Could it have something to do with the fact that I am not in my home area today?
    Quote Originally Posted by awesterink
    Could it have something to do with the fact that I am not in my home area today?
    That's gotta be it. These PRLs are location sensitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDub
    I got the cable done and converted my phone finally. I am using mine on the Alltel network and it is working great.

I bought a sprint treo 650 and tried to activate it on alltel and they told me that the ESN I was trying to use was invalid. Where did you get your Treo 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    That's gotta be it. These PRLs are location sensitive.
    I'll be back in my home area later today and try again...will report result. Thx!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdb
    I bought a sprint treo 650 and tried to activate it on alltel and they told me that the ESN I was trying to use was invalid. Where did you get your Treo 650?
    It's a Sprint T650. All depends on the rep you talk to, I think. I noticed that the VZW CSR's seem to have a directive from management to start "chatting" with you anytime they have to wait for their system to do something. So I just went along with him and we had a pretty entertaining conversation. When it came to the point of swapping ESN's, he never even mentioned that it was an un-known ESN. But if they ask...I suppose you could say that you have a "test unit" or something from either VZW or palmOne, depending on how comfortable you are with breaking the ninth commandment (or "suggestion" as some would call it).
    It's a Sprint T650. All depends on the rep you talk to, I think. I noticed that the VZW CSR's seem to have a directive from management to start "chatting" with you anytime they have to wait for their system to do something. So I just went along with him and we had a pretty entertaining conversation. When it came to the point of swapping ESN's, he never even mentioned that it was an un-known ESN. But if they ask...I suppose you could say that you have a "test unit" or something from either VZW or palmOne, depending on how comfortable you are with breaking the ninth commandment (or "suggestion" as some would call it).

Well, we actually have a commercial account and they were more than willing to help me out. The system would not accept the ESN number. The system (ie computer) was telling them it was invalid. My rep even called in a high level techincian and couldn't get it to work either. But get this, I had gotten into the phone and changed all the settings to get it on alltel. When I tried to make a call before I had it activated, I would get the alltel message that this phone had not been activated. So, I was able to update the prl to alltel and change the sid to alltel and alltel would talk to the phone. I just couldn't get it activated. Arghhhhh.
    Anyone have a modded data cable left over? I have the soldering skills of a large oaf.
    I'll be back in my home area later today and try again...will report result. Thx!
    No luck. It insists on feeding me PRL 50287. I have a CRAP signal in my home area as well with this PRL, while any other VZW phone with PRL 50288 gives me full signal. Will need to get my hands on PRL file 50288 somehow....

So I guess for me, the conversion is a nogo....
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Apparently the 50287 PRL is not the problem, it seems all Treo's get that PRL (with an AC2 plan). The only difference between 50287 and 50288 seems to be something related to the ERI, but no difference in which towers they prefer. Something else is going on. Perhaps other phone parameters influence how well the phone talks to the VZW network.
    I found these cables at http://www.pcables.com. Do either of these look like the cables that I would need to convert a Treo 650 to Verizon. I would rather by it than try to make it, my soldering skills are meager on a good day.

Thanks.

PDCT5-M9-6 6in Tungsten E2/T5 / Treo 650 RS232 Modem Cable
    This is the new Multi-Connector cable for Palm OS. Works with Tungsten E2, Tungsten T5 and Treo 650. This is a full-power RS232 design which has electronics built right into the cable to accomplish RS232 conversion. This cable is compatible with most any serial GPS, cell phone, or data equipment, as it is True RS232. For this cable, you will need a program to turn on the POWER_OUT pin. This program will be provided in an Mini-CD with your cable. Click the "Add to Cart" button to place the item in your shopping cart. Production cables are now shipping. Customers who have been using the PDCT5-M9BATT are recommended to switch to this one, as the operation is the same and it doesn't require batteries. Tungsten E2, Tungsten T5, and Treo 650 owners - get yours today!!

PLPT5-M9-6 6in Tungsten T5/Treo 650 Low Power Modem Cable
    This is the new Low Power Multi-Connector cable for Palm OS. Works with Tungsten T5 and Treo 650. It has a modem pinout and is powered from the transmit line of the handheld. It is not true RS232, rather it swings 0-3.3v "quasi-RS232." Some serial ports work with this, but others do not, so it's worthwhile to check your specs. Click the "Add to Cart" button to place the item in your shopping cart. Production cables are now shipping. T5/Treo 650 owners - get yours today!!
    I think that one of the two cables offered at this site may do it. http://www.pcables.com

I posted a message to see if anyone knew which one to buy.
    Another option would be to buy a 600/300/270 serial cable on ebay for a few bucks, then buy the conversion cable from palmone. There's a link to that thing somewhere in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Another option would be to buy a 600/300/270 serial cable on ebay for a few bucks, then buy the conversion cable from palmone. There's a link to that thing somewhere in this thread.
    I have the cable and the adapter but can't seem to get bitpim to access the phone.

Anyone know what might be wrong?

bitpim just says it was unable to access the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by salman
    I have the cable and the adapter but can't seem to get bitpim to access the phone.

Anyone know what might be wrong?

bitpim just says it was unable to access the phone.
    Read this.
    Galen,

I've followed that tutorial as closely as possible. Since I'm using the treo600 cable with the palmone adapater for treo650, I can't follow it word for word.

I'm not certain if the cable is defective or just the serial ports.

Anyone want to sell/rent-out their usb->serial cable?
    Does anyone know where I can download Kyocera Chameleon software?

Chameleon version please.

obgynjh@dreamwiz.com

Thanks.
    Now that verizon is on the verge of releasing the 650, does anyone know of any software updates that i can do to my sprint t650 that i converted to the verizon network. I get crappy reception on the phone and was wondering if there was now a way to remedy that.
    Has anybody tried the new firmware with a Vz'fied 650? I plan on installing it this evening when I'm not on call and don't need my phone as bad.

Last time, I was never able to reconnect my Treo with the Kyocera PST, so I had to search for the PRL by roaming in a "high vz/low sprint" signal area. I expect that I will have to do the same this time.