Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
    Thanks, I actually fingured out the VM thing after putting some thought into it.

PRL was updated and roaming was updated as well (*228, option 2). For good measure, I updated the PRL once more.

I'm going to speak with a Verizon rep today (over the phone) and ask them if my data plan is still on, or whether they *inadvertantly* turned it off.

I don't think that should be the problem though. I'm not sure what is. I've looked high and low to try and solve this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenzytom
    In the Phone mode, hit Options -> Phone Preferences -> Clear Voicemail Icon. It should eliminate the VM.

btw...did you update your Verizon PRL with *228 and pressing #1?
    probably stupid question but help is appreciated.
    why is there an asterik flashing over the "V" of verizon in the upper left corner or my 650? and how to get rid of it - it jsut started yesterday and I don't know why.

thanks
    So here's the update. Apparently, Verizon canceled my unlimited data plan once I made the to the 650. This is automatically done once a *non-data* phone is selected on their system. Now I'm dealing with them to get data back on. I think that just may be the problem, but lets see.

Humm so what's a good data phone to tell them you have?
    it may be that EN is not enabled on your account, make sure that 1xpp is added to your account, I had a similar problem, but now am ok.
    So here's the deal. It has been spoken about here before, but I thought I might update folks who are looking to Verizonize a 650. Data service, particularly a data plan, will be disabled automatically when an unknown ESN number is entered into Verizon's system. This is probably nothing more than how their phone/account/feature management software is set up.

You must tell them you have a PDA (or data capable phone). Yesterday I told them I was switching to an Audiovox 8100 (a non-data phone). Today, their computers showed me as having an LG VX6000. When I realized that data was automatically disabled I told them today that I in fact switched one Treo 600 to another Treo 600. Thank God they don't keep notes

Anyway, the CSR was thoroughly puzzled. And you need to puzzle them! They cannot override the system and add data to a non-data phone; however, data support gives them the authorization to do so. So, that's what happened. I just told them that the system is probably not recognizing the ESN as a Treo 600 (tell them it's a refurbed Treo 600 or something). They then, with the permission of data support, gladly put back on the data plan. And all is well now in illustreous land.

Thanks to all of those who spoke out.
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    I did read the FAQ and it was a great help. However, I've gotten to a stage where the "signing in" part of the connection on EN just hangs and leaves me with the error message. Any thoughts?

When you sign up with a PDA phone they have to enter the ESN then 2 features = PERSB and KBUUE. Once this is complete they should Remove KBUUE and Replace with 1XPP1. That seems to have solved my problem. Also, make sure that the phone you picked was National Access..
    The CSR was mumbling some "p..e..r...," I didn't care to ask her but I think that's what you're talking about. I didn't know about the KBUUE and 1XPP1. The 1XPP1 probably relates to 1XRTT, no? What is the KBUUE all about? Also, how do you approach them/ask to change this without them asking further questions like: "how do you know these codes, etc." or anything presumtuous along those lines.

Thanks for the tip.
    When I go to this and click on the Clear Voicemail icon nothing happens???

In the Phone mode, hit Options -> Phone Preferences -> Clear Voicemail Icon. It should eliminate the VM.

illustreous, Did you try the Clear Voicemail Icon option? From the phone screen, press the menu button - options - Phone Preferences.

Got my phone setup the other night and activated with VZW yesterday. Loving it so far. Too many new things to figure out though, being my first Palm device.
    Oh, I remember reading (somewhere in this thread) that someone bought their 650 at CompUSA (like I did) and they bought the replacement plan....

For reference, if anyone else is considering this, it is not the $70 that was stated earlier. For a PDA Phone, it's only available in a 2 year plan and it costs $149. I haven't bought it yet, but I do have 21 days to decide if I want it.

Which brings up another point, CompUSA will give you 21 days to bring your phone back if you're not happy with it. I would recommend put the Sprint settings back before returning one though.
    The CSR was mumbling some "p..e..r...," I didn't care to ask her but I think that's what you're talking about. I didn't know about the KBUUE and 1XPP1. The 1XPP1 probably relates to 1XRTT, no? What is the KBUUE all about? Also, how do you approach them/ask to change this without them asking further questions like: "how do you know these codes, etc." or anything presumtuous along those lines.

Thanks for the tip.

KBUUE is the code for kilobytes unit of use, which means that even if you have express network activated, you will be charged by the kb, however, 1xPP1, means the you can have express network activated but you will be charged by airtime mins.

So may I ask...

I plan on using my phone and data to check email on my Exchange server throughout the day. Sounds to me that I need the unlimited data plan (major bucks if you ask me)

What plans are you folks using?

Anyone syncing with Exchange?

Seems like I should be telling these folks it's a Treo 600 so they turn on data... any thougths?
    I did get the option, however my cursor was stuck on the button. It would never register. Only after a couple of soft resets was it working. I thought it was strange but I guess that's what comes with the territory of hacking up such a comples device: you've got to deal with the surprises

Otherwise, everything has been working great so far.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyC
    illustreous, Did you try the Clear Voicemail Icon option? From the phone screen, press the menu button - options - Phone Preferences.

Got my phone setup the other night and activated with VZW yesterday. Loving it so far. Too many new things to figure out though, being my first Palm device.
    I'm on an unlimited data plan (only because it's covered by work ). I've had no problems thus far using unlimited data on a Verizonized 650.

Not synching with exchange, but rather Groupwise.

DEFINITELY tell the Verizon folks that you're using a PDA-style phone (i.e. Treo, Kyocera).

Quote Originally Posted by EdStern
    So may I ask...

I plan on using my phone and data to check email on my Exchange server throughout the day. Sounds to me that I need the unlimited data plan (major bucks if you ask me)

What plans are you folks using?

Anyone syncing with Exchange?

Seems like I should be telling these folks it's a Treo 600 so they turn on data... any thougths?
    What exactly is the purpose of the custom made usb to serial cable? Maybe I'm confused but if the Treo 650 (whether it's Sprint or whoever) already has the ability to sync with your computer using the cable provided then what is the need for this special cable conversion? Is this elusive MSL# that we must grab from the memory of the phone not available using software that works with the stock cable (the usb cable)?

This is the only conclusion I can possibly come up with as to why you would not just be able to install BitPim, make the proper adjustments, and then call VZW to activate the phone. I'm assuming that the BitPim software only works with a certain type of serial connection (which is of course we have to make) and that after completing all of the necessary changes we simply do not need the custom cable anymore. Is that correct? In other words, the custom cable is simply there to facilitate the installation and proper usage of the (serial only?) BitPim software to get the MSL#, correct ?

Thanks in advance.
    Well My convert went without a hitch thanks to MInes notes and the cable I bought on ebay from Tony (along with all the programs on CD - great deal and perfect instructions (yeah Tony on the screen captures). Thanks everyone

I signed up for unlimited use and found out you can do #data and see how many Kb you're pulling each month then just downgrade.

Ok so some fine tuning is under way as I learn the device and I'm sure I'll find the small bugs along the way. But some questions

Has anyone messed with changing the power-up screens that say Sprint? - Just curious

Also - Anyone know the default home page for Verizon palm devices? or a good pal browser friendly page to start from?

I'm on an unlimited data plan (only because it's covered by work ). I've had no problems thus far using unlimited data on a Verizonized 650.

DEFINITELY tell the Verizon folks that you're using a PDA-style phone (i.e. Treo, Kyocera).
    How could i do it for a treo 600 lock with sprint. I am willing to pay if somebody could help me to get my msl or to reset it
    PM me. I can help you.
    I have yet to talk to any csrs over the phone, but did stop at 2 different verizon locations this week during my startup.

The first was a Verizon owned mall store, which is where I had my 650 activated. The first csr was confused when I told her that I wanted my Sprint phone activated. She said, you might want to go to Sprint for that, until I assured her that I had reprogrammed it to work on VZW.
    She then went to talk to a tech who told her what to do. She must have typed something wrong in the computer because she couldn't get it to work and then gave my phone to the tech who did get it to work on the first try.

At this time, I did not have a data plan activated yet. I only had mobile web on my account, which will work for the 650, but will use plan minutes when using data services. Also, not recommended to leave your phone connected to the Express Network under this option.

My second trip to a verizon store was when I activated my unlimited data plan. The 2 csrs that I talked to this time were very friendly and had no problems with me using my 650. They both did say that there was something entered wrong on my account. Mobile web was disabled and the data plan was turned on. If Mobile web stays enabled, you will pay for both.

Anyway, I was never told what my account says my phone is and all the csrs made notes on their log that I was using a Treo 650, so.....