Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
    Hello all....thanks much for all of the great instructions, advice and tips!

I'm planning on making the plunge and verizonizing a t650....after reading this entire thread 3x I'm ALMOST ready, but I have a few last details I was hoping to clear up.

I currently have no data plan with VZN. I wont' be surfing the web or e-mailing with the t650 frequently, however I would like to have it available.

1) Can I activate the t650 without a data plan?
    2) If so is there a particular phone I should say that I'm attempting to activate to make sure that it is possible?
    3) If I don't have a data plan can I access the Web easily?
    4) And if I access the Web or e-mail without a data plan how will I be charged with regard to minutes? (1min = 1 kb??)

I apologize if these are very novice questions, I'm just very excited to join the wonderful world of VZN t650 users but haven't been able to find answers to any of these questions.

Thanks in advance.
    I bought 2 SPRINT treo 650's and modded them for Verizon. One is mine and the other is available for anyone who wants to buy it - just pay for shipping and tax.

Thanks

Eric
    chopinsetude@mac.com

I have references.
    Quote Originally Posted by audieric
    I bought 2 SPRINT treo 650's and modded them for Verizon. One is mine and the other is available for anyone who wants to buy it - just pay for shipping and tax.
    just shipping and tax. Damn! That's gotta be under $50 bucks! I'll buy it.

Oooh, I guess you would want me to pay for the treo too.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    how much ?
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by audieric

Thanks

Eric
    chopinsetude@mac.com

I have references.
    Just curious... where'd you buy the sprint 650s and how much were they?
    I'm trying to find a good deal on one so I can get it modified to VZN.
    Thanks!!
    Anybody have a cable and software for the conversion? Anybody in northeast Ohio that would be willing to help?

Bueller? Bueller?

Anyone?
    Thank you to all the folks that have obviously spent a great deal of time putting together a tremendous amount of information, selflessly. I had been debating whether to go with Sprint in order to move up to the 650 or stay with Verizon. When I found this site, I was thrilled! The best of both worlds, great coverage with the best technology! Yeah! So thanks for the hard work and quality information everyone has provided.

It took me 1/2 day to buy the T650, cables etc, make the cable and complete the programing and activation. It worked! OMG!

The reason I say all this is because I'm not an engineer, I never soldered before and I don't understand "why" the steps were done, but I was still able to verizonize my T650 with very little effort. If you're hesitant about doing this, I say go for it! It's a great learning process and makes you appreciate the T650 even more!

Finally, I was able to activate the ESN over the phone with VZW CS, but they only identified the audiovox 9100 (or something like that). As a result, the CS person wouldn't add the Nationwide Access data plan to my account. She said the phone didn't meet the requirements. Soooo....I politely said thanks and ran up to my local VZW store and after speaking nicely to the service person, they added the plan without hesitation. The only question was "how'd you do that?"....My suggestion is to activate the ESN on the phone, then go to the VZW store to add the plan if you have any problems....

Thanks again!!!
    I just purchased a 650 from Palm which contains the Sprint software. The techs at verizon tried to program and told me I needed a 6 digit manual program code (I assume is the MSL) in order for them to program to Verizon. Sprint obviously wouldn't give me this information. I have discovered that ##786# gets me in to read info about the phone but I can't figure out the MSL to let Verizon program it. I talked to a former Sprint tech who said their phones used either 000000 or 123456 but now they are randomly assigned. Do I just need this 6 digit code and Verizon can take it from there? The Verizon techs are willing to program the phone knowing it is a Sprint phone, because it uses CDMA. I there anyone out there near central Ohio that can do what is necessary to get this program ready for the Verizon system???This is really frustrating!!!!! HELP!!!
    Last edited by penelope; 02/14/2005 at 10:40 PM. Reason: add to
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    penelope. Each sprint phone has its own MSL. Verizon MSLs are all 000000. so before you can program the 650 with verizon PRLs, you need to get the codes. the way to get the codes is via serial cable (which has to be made) and using BitPim software which will show you what the code is. I have a 650 on verizon and its been running fine for over a month now.
    Anyone have a cable already made I can purchase? The software I can download online, right? I'm a little nervous about doing this. I'm afraid I'll mess something up!! Actually, anyone live anywhere near Ohio? I will happily pay someone with a cable and the software!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    let me get this straight, VZW will to the reprogram for you if you get teh MSL?
    anyone else head of this?
    Pene I sent you a private message. Regards, Nadeem
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    i hope whatever you guys are secreting about can be told if it pertains to vzw doing the programming for you
    Unfortunately, when a Verizon Wireless Employee says that they will assist in programming it for you, what they are really saying is that they might:

1] Assist you in activating the ESN on their network.
    2] Dial *228 for you to do the initial programming.

What the won't do is find the Sprint MSL on the phone and change it to 000000. Like kalex said, you need a cable and BitPim to do that. He would know, he converted my Treo 650!
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    ok gotcha...still looking for that magic person willing to do the upgrade for a nominal fee
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    you can buy the cable from "mines" or "shadowmite" on these boards. if you want to make a cable -go to shadowmite.com for instructions (or do a search on these boards cause it's also in here too). THe instructions to convert a sprint t650 to verizon is also on this forum and also on shadowmite.com

THe people on this forum are also very helpful.

I didn't have a cable, ordered one and in a manner of a couple of hours after receiving my cable, I was on my Verizon network. I've downloaded the patches for bluetooth and the removal of apps I don't need. I've added voicedialer, launcherX, vindingo, advango, pocketunes, and datebk so far. So much nicer than carrying a pda and cell phone I don't have a data plan, just internet access and 100 text messages. when I'm on the internet, it uses my voice minutes. I'm not on the internet all the time so this plan works for me.
    I know that Mines will do the upgrade. He had done mine. I have done four for my family, and will be happy to do it for you. I got the cable from Mines. I will not charge you anything, but suggest that you send Mines a thank you payment once your phone is completed by me. This is just a token to thank Mines for being so helpful to the Treo Community.
    I want to thank everyone for their posts that have enabled me to get this far. I'm not sure what to do next. I made the cable, hooked it up and the pass thru is enabled (##3424). I'm running Bitpim while connected through COM5 which I verified by switching ports. I'm still getting that the phone is not responding while transitioning mode from none to brew. In the log it states that it timed out waiting for 7e, no response to setting QCDMG mode and no response to setting AT+GMM mode. Does anyone have any idea what's going on and what I should do next?
    Has anyone tried PalmOne's serial adapter yet?

http://web.palmone.com/products/Prod...4641&cat=20018

(Did a search -- couldn't find any reference to it except Tuctboh's post.)

I wondering if you can reach the bootloader through it?
    Dave
  20. dnt
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Anyone in the san jose area need help with transforming thier treo 650 to verizon let me know. YOu can spring for lunch. =) Shouldn't take more than 5 mins. If you want I even have a used treo 650 already verizonized for sale.