Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    **Sorry for reposting**

I need to decide soon!

Here's my situation.. I'm in Los Angeles, probably moving to San Diego soon. I have basic mobile service with verizon, and it seems ok. I looked at Sprint, and the calling plans are about the same as verizon, but UNLIMITED INTERNET on Sprint is only $15/mo (PCS Vision Professional).. but UNLIMITED INTERNET on Verizon is $45-50/mo (Network+Wireless Sync). Unless I'm missing something, Verizon internet seems much more expensive than Sprint. Are they not equivalent?

Why are do so many people prefer verizon?! I've never tried Sprint, so I am hoping for some real-life feedback. I have friends who have Sprint, and a few who have the Treo 600 and 650, and they all seem to say everything works fine. Anyone have sprint in the Los Angeles/San Diego area? How's the call coverage? Dropped calls? Internet? etc..

Also, has anyone heard about an audiovox coming out soon that is a pda/phone like the Treo, but will have broadband high-speed internet?

I just don't know if I feel comfortable enough paying more for a sprint 650 and converting it to verizon (& voiding my warranty) and possibly screwing it up and ending up with a $599 kick-***-looking paperweight.

Basically.. IS IT WORTH THE RISK??

My contract is up soon with verizon, and I can just get the 650 on the Sprint network, and then I'd have support (sort of... I know they kind of suck at Sprint). Any thoughts?

THIS GROUP IS GREAT!!! THANKS EVERYONE!!!
    -UT
    well, the brown turns out works as ground...able to use qua instead of kyocera (kyocera did not recognize my phone), but got the steps, now stuck at activating thru vz...i have read thru your suggestions, but i guess, i don'w have that charm...not sure what to do at this point...
    Quote Originally Posted by ATHENS001
    well, the brown turns out works as ground...able to use qua instead of kyocera (kyocera did not recognize my phone), but got the steps, now stuck at activating thru vz...i have read thru your suggestions, but i guess, i don'w have that charm...not sure what to do at this point...
    Go to the store and have them do it. They gave me a run-around on the phone but at the store their computers accepted it with no problems.
    it worked...thanks all...
    Hi All,

Anyone in LA that wants to rent or sell a cable today? I am feeling generous with myself and I want it now!!! hehehehe

Please let me know.

J.
    kicking my self for not updating rom (using shadowmite) prior to vz the treo!...anyone has any experience with this?...i know the directions says to reprogram the phone back (msl..etct) but is it as easy as just plugging those number that i changed or is it something else?
    thanks`
    Posting this from my 650!

I've got Express Network working, which is what I'm using right now, but I'm having trouble with QNC. I was actually surprised to find that EN works since I don't have it on my plan anymore. I'm actually a little worried that I may be racking up mega-charges for using it without a plan. Anyway, I'd really just like to get QNC working. I've followed the directions that were given for the 600 conversion, which is basically the same setup as what was on my 7135, but I can't get a connection. Has anyone got a QNC connection on their Verizonified 650? I'd love to hear how you did it!

Cool Cat
    Hi,
    Does anyone know where I can download Kyocera Chameleon software?

I already made the cable, I try using the Kyocera PST version 3.2, but it doesn't allow me to manually selected a plug-in.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGeek
    I will be updating my instructions, with pictures, tomorrow. Sorry so late but we are all over the place this Christmas. I will update everything at..

http://free.angeltowns.com/derekthegeek/
    No pressure, but, when will you be updating your cable construction instructions. I am in need of a little more graphical instructions and the format you have started looks like the help I need. Thanks in advance.
    Hi,
    I don't need the Chamelon software anymore. I got the phone work with Quilcom PST software,

Thanks... especially to Mines for coming up with this Gig.
    Hi Guys,

I have been following this thread and am very amaze at what is going on with this hack. As a newbee, I'm very tempted to get out and shell out the 599 for the phone and do this. I currently use the treo 600 and like it alot.

My question is regarding bluetooth. With the hack, is there any disruption in the bluetooth use? Will bluetooth DUN work as well?

Also, can someone email or post a current link to the PST Chameleon software?

Thanks alot and keep up the awesome work! Thanks Mines and everyone else for contributing.

imbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by bbear523
    No pressure, but, when will you be updating your cable construction instructions. I am in need of a little more graphical instructions and the format you have started looks like the help I need. Thanks in advance.
    I have instructions on my site as well:
    www.shadowmite.com/650serial.html photos are from mines original post #27.
  13.    #273  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    I have instructions on my site as well:
    www.shadowmite.com/650serial.html photos are from mines original post #27.
    Thanks shadowmite...

and I will post about switching to verizon without kyocera pst.

Happy New Year!
    Quote Originally Posted by pcables.com
    There is a website on which one can buy serial cables for the Treo 650. The website is:

www.pcables.com
    Always a good source if you don't mind paying extra for the name brand... Mines and I both can supply these for less or you can make them yourselves (which I heavily recommend as you will learn more about our hobby then paying someone else to do it)... Hint Hint...
    Quick question about verizon's IP network -

I went to the Verizon store yesterday, wondering about billing because I've been using EN to browse (without a data plan). They said they couldn't give me my exact data usage because the billing month isn't over yet. They said I could check it myself on my phone by dialing #DATA. This doesn't work, but ##DATA gives a wierd looking sprint user-id/password screen (titled 'Data' - I assume this has something to do with Sprint Vision...). What's up with this? Should I just ignore it?

More importantly, do any of you guys have a clear idea of what's happening when I use EN? My old Kyocera 6035 simply used minutes when I browsed...
    I think they switched it on us unknowingly.
    My 7135 just used talktime minutes too. Then I got the 650 and after a week (of fun on my new gadget) I called just in case and was told that so far I had racked up $78 worth of data charges and the month wasn't over yet!!! I said, "What data charges? It uses my talk time minutes and they said, "No it doesn't."!!!!

So now I am paying $45 extra a month to have unlimited data because they have me paranoid that my data might not disconnect (like in VeriChat or other apps) and I'd end up with a $2,700 bill like someone else here!

Then I said, well for the $45 data plan, that's "Express Network", right, so it should be at a much faster data rate, right? and they said, "no, just the normal dial up rate".!!!

Incidentally there is a $79.00 a month unlimited highspeed data plan, and I would love highspeed, because Blazer 4.0 (and others) seems VERY slow to me, but I can't justify paying $80 just for data before even making any voice calls!

Didn't it used to be data used up our talk minutes and if you wanted, you could spend $45 (or something) for "Express Network" which was unlimited and faster?

I think we all got hoodwinked. Aaaargh.
    ~'kito
    Could someone please re-post or PM Chameleon? Thank you all! Much appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by pcables.com
    There is a website on which one can buy serial cables for the Treo 650. The website is:

www.pcables.com
    Hi shadowmite. There are 2 versions of the cable for the T650 at this site. Is it the one batteries or without?

Thanks a bunch!
    shadowmite or mines, can I get either one of you to make me a cable. willing to pay for it. let me know.
    Anyone with the newer PST tool, please PM me a link... Thanks.