Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    Hey all,

GREAT work on this!

I've made my cable, fired up Bitpim, got my MSL,...

...now I just need the Kyocera Chameleon software.
    The regular Kyocera 3.2 build 7 did not recognize the phone. Existing links here have expired.

Any help???

Please??

Thanks in advance.
    I've got every thing setup except a working PST...

Can someone please e it to me...
    Or give me a d/l location...

If needed, I can host for a day or two...

Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali-V
    I've got every thing setup except a working PST...

Can someone please e it to me...
    Or give me a d/l location...

If needed, I can host for a day or two...

Thanks!!
    Check your PM.

drxacto
    Hey Kalex new to the Treo world and this website since one of clients is requiring that I have one. I also sent you an email... I currently have a LG VX 6000 on Verizon and came across this website, and also this "Verizoning" which is amazing. I am in northern, NJ about 25 miles west of NYC and would love some help getting the Treo 650 to work on the Verizon network since I am definitely not as technically saavy as most of you guys here and have no desire to change to Sprint. Any help would be greatly appreciated... What is your schedule like?

dgershman
    Wonder if there will be a way to rip the ROM off a Verizon Treo 650 (whenever they're released) and put it on a "Verizoned" Sprint Treo.
    If you need the PST PM me...
    The link will be good for a day or so...

Thanks All...
    I'll take you up on that!

Consider yourself PM'd
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    Yeah, got that one...first one up everest and all...so be it, and the others? Just copycating? First one in there neighborhood? I thoroughly respect the geek factor, just wondering if there were any reasons close to practical...
    Verizon has the best coverage in the area of the U.S I travel and work. I have used Sprint and AT&T both miserable regarding coverage. I have a 2 year Verizon contract through my employer with 18 months left. Treo 650 is by far the most sophisticated best smartphone on the market. Hands down no one even comes close.. My company makes software for pdas and smartphones and we get all the models in testing before they are commercially available. Most have terrible form factors, weak keyboards, etc... It has nothing to do with being a geek. It has to do with real users wanting to take business advantage of the best tools on the market when it is convenient for them. Verizon historically moves at glacial speed regarding new devices but their network coverage is superior to other carriers at least where I live. I don't want to monkey with my phone as I could turn the whole thing to stone but, waiting 12 months for Verizon to deliver is unacceptable.
    Hi,

I'd like to also put in a request for a link to the Kyocera Chameleon PST software.

pat
    I've got my 650, all the needed software, my #19 cable and I'm planning to use the USB cable that came with the 650 for the plug (after moving around the contacts). My only problem is that I left my soldering iron at home! Argh! Now it won't be until tonight that I get this thing hacked and up and working on Verizon. I'm so antsy to get going with this thing that I'll probably have it filled up with pictures by the time I finally get it activated!
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Mines, Would you be willing to do this conversion for a "consulting fee"?
    Also, I have a powerbook/Mac.. will this work?
    I am on the verizon network with my family now, if I buy a 650 from P1, can I just use my current verizon phone account? How do I ADD internet/web services? Please contact me if you can help. I haven't purchased anything yet, but have to make a decision SOON about service. If this is too difficult, I may end up switching my family over to Sprint (reluctantly) when my account is up for renewal in a FEW WEEKS!

Thanks in advance for all the help and great advice!
    JYewMD@GMail.com

Quote Originally Posted by mines
    Hi guys, I summarized your questionnaires.

1) Why we do ?
    Because we don't know when verizon release Treo 650. If you really love Verizon Network and Treo 650, you can chage Sprint Treo 650 to Verizon.

2) What is different Sprint Version and Verizon Version of Treo 650?
    PalmOne only makes 2 versions of Treo 650. One is GSM Network (Cingula, T-Mobile, and AT&T) and the other is CDMA network (Verizon and Sprint). It means Sprint version and Verizon version are same hardware. Only different is ROM. Actually the version of PalmOS are same, PalmOne just ships changing of default setting of network and application. The major differents are MMS (multi-media messaging system). Due to of different protocol between Verizon and sprint, they can't send or received picture mail and ringtons. So, if you convert sprint phone to verizon, you cannot send picture message or rington.

3) So, Picture Message does not run ?
    No, but you can send a picture mail thru default mail application (Versa Mail).

4) How can I purchase Treo 650 without Sprint plan?
    Directly from palmone.com. Sure, it's expensive.

5) Can I have Verizon Account ?
    Well, I'm not sure, but most people said you do. Because Verizon does not allow to actiave non-verizon phone on their system. However verizon can change esn for existing customer.

6) How I can actiave non-verizon phone?
    Non-Verizon phone must have 000000 MSL key and Verizon PRL. And visit verizon store or call verizon customer center and explain, explain, explain very very very well.

7) What is PRL and MSL ?
    PRL stands for "Preferred Roaming List", and MSL for "Master Subsidy Lock".
    PRL contains channel information for connecting carrier's network. MSL is 6 digits number for preventing to change internet information of phone. Each sprint phone have different MSL codes, but all verizon phones have 000000 MSL key. For changing MSL and PRL, you need Kyocera PST however Kyocera PST requires original MSL code. To read original MSL, BitPim software is required.

8) Can I use express network? Web Browsing?
    Sure, but you must understand verizon's express network plan. There are several plans for using express network.

9) Can I use verizon's wireless sync ?
    Sure. but be careful! without express network plan, you might get thousands bill.

10) Ok, What do I do for Treo 650?

i) Buy Treo 650 without Sprint Plan.
    ii) Make Treo 650 Serial Cable or Buy it.
    iii) You need BitPim software, Kyocera PST and Verizon PRL file.
    iv) Program your Treo 650 (Change PRL and MSL)
    v) Avtivate on Verizon
    I'm getting pretty frustrated. I keep getting the same error message from BitPim that keswick was getting: "Other CDMA Phone on COM3: The phone is not responding while transitioning mode from none to brew."

I've tried all kinds of stuff trying to get it to work. I've gone into the Device Manager and set the COM3 port to 115200, I've turned passthrough mode on and off and on again in every possible combination of plugging/unplugging/replugging the cable. I've quit BitPim, pulled the cable out, put the cable back in, etc.

Anyone have any other suggestions for me? I made my cable myself using the #19 cable from Radio Shack (the sales guy was very rude to me, even made me give my name and address claiming that they've had "fraud" on these USB cables) and the USB sync cable that came with my 650. I wasn't planning to use the OEM cable anyway since I want to do all of my syncing through BlueTooth. I've checked the continuity of the contacts and they're all fine. I've got Tx from the cable going to Rx on the Treo and vice versa. I used the bare wire for the ground on pin 8.

Please help!
    Ok, I've had some success. I just kept trying everything over and over and finally BitPim worked. Now the problem is that I guess I've got the wrong version of the Kyocera software. Can somebody help me out?

Thanks,

Cool Cat
    I've had a little bit more success. I used the Qualcomm PST that's linked to earlier in this thread and I was able to change the banner to read "Verizon" and the second six digit number from 162271 to 000000 but the MSL, the first number, is still the way it was. I confirmed this using BitPim. I'm worried about poking around with this Qualcomm software too much because I don't want to royally screw up my phone and it doesn't work the same as the Chameleon that mines used, so his instructions don't help much. It would be great if I could get a copy of that PST!
    Until then, I'll keep searching, and waiting, and trying to get it right!

Cool Cat
    Well, I think I got it done, but I'm not sure. I went back into the Qualcomm PST and figured out where the MSL was, so I changed it to all zeroes, but then after I clicked on "Write to phone" it did its thing and then gave me an error that the phone wasn't responding. Now I'm back to the same old error when "transitioning mode from none to brew". I've tried using BitPim and the PST but neither can reestablish a connection. I'm hoping that the write was successful and that whatever happened to my connection happened after the fact. I'm thinking that the connection is flakey for some reason, I can't understand why because the cable that I made is solid enough and the solder joints are tight and clean. I guess I'm going to just keep futzing with it to try to get it to connect again. I went to Verizon's web site hoping to be able to change my ESN but it denied me every time I tried. I guess I'll have to call in the morning. If I can get them to switch the ESN then I'll be able to test the phone even if I can't get it to connect to BitPim or the PST again.

Well, it looks like I'm the only one up here anyway, so I'm going to bed!

Cool Cat
    Success! Using the Qualcomm PST I was successfully able to reprogram my 650 and get it activated on Verizon! It took three calls this morning, but I got it done. The first lady told me I had to call an automated system because I used my New Every Two to get a new phone and extend my contract. The number she gave me didn't work so I called back, that lady took my ESN and transferred me directly into the automated system and told me she'd stay on the line. Well, the automated thing hung up on me and she wasn't there anymore so I called back again! This lady told me that the second lady had indeed entered the ESN so she just had me do the *228 and we did a couple of test calls! WAAAAHOOOOOOOOO!!!! I'm so thrilled that I actually did this! I used the wrong connector (hacked apart my OEM 650 plug), the wrong software (Qualcomm instead of Kyocera Chameleon) AND I did it all on my PowerBook running OS X! I used Virtual PC to run Windows XP Pro for all of the phone programming software! It can be done! Thanks to everyone here who documented everything that they did, especially mines who figured all of this out in the first place!

Now I'm just kicking myself because I forgot to bring the 650 CD with me to work today so even though I'm up and running with it as a phone I'll have to wait until tonight to start syncing it. Oh well, at least the hard part is over!

Thanks everyone!

Cool Cat
    Cool Cat,
    I am so psych'd for you!
    Great job. I am impressed.
    Glad we are now in the "Verizonized" 650 club together.
    Happy new year!
    ~'kito
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    EXCELLENT!! I'm very encouraged by your success CoolCat! Especially..
    with being able to do this on your MAC!! I have VPC as well, but it
    turns my G4 into a bit of a slug, but at least I know it's possible!
    Now, all I have to do is get the 650 and Mines' cable! How do I add
    the Verizon web/internet service to my existing BASIC mobile service?
    I'm assuming I keep my current phone and service and just follow Mines
    and your directions to switch over the ESN on my Sprint 650 phone..
    which I guess I'll get at Palm1 or Amazon. What does PST mean again?
    I don't recall seeing anything in Mines' directions about Qualcomm
    PST?

Are there ANY downsides to doing this conversion of sprint 650 to the
    Verizon network? I know there are some disabled fancy MSM
    messaging, but otherwise... everything else is same or better with
    the 650-verizon combo? Ok.. thanks for all the great posts!
    -J

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Cat
    Success! Using the Qualcomm PST I was successfully able to reprogram my 650 and get it activated on Verizon! It took three calls this morning, but I got it done. The first lady told me I had to call an automated system because I used my New Every Two to get a new phone and extend my contract. The number she gave me didn't work so I called back, that lady took my ESN and transferred me directly into the automated system and told me she'd stay on the line. Well, the automated thing hung up on me and she wasn't there anymore so I called back again! This lady told me that the second lady had indeed entered the ESN so she just had me do the *228 and we did a couple of test calls! WAAAAHOOOOOOOOO!!!! I'm so thrilled that I actually did this! I used the wrong connector (hacked apart my OEM 650 plug), the wrong software (Qualcomm instead of Kyocera Chameleon) AND I did it all on my PowerBook running OS X! I used Virtual PC to run Windows XP Pro for all of the phone programming software! It can be done! Thanks to everyone here who documented everything that they did, especially mines who figured all of this out in the first place!

Now I'm just kicking myself because I forgot to bring the 650 CD with me to work today so even though I'm up and running with it as a phone I'll have to wait until tonight to start syncing it. Oh well, at least the hard part is over!

Thanks everyone!

Cool Cat
    Has anyone tried taking the MSM-related application files from a Verizon Treo 600 and load them onto a Verizoned Treo 650?
    what color is ground for link to 8 pin on t5 connector?