1.    #1  
    When it comes to buying the Sprint 650 are there any rebates for anything for someone who already has Sprint service, or will I have to shell out the full $600?

This topic has been discussed thoroughly in the Treo 650 forums/threads. Sprint is offering a $150 discount or rebate (I've heard accounts of instant discounts and others have said mail-in-rebates that take 5-6 weeks) for those existing customers who wish to upgrade their phone to a T650 as long as their existing phone and number have been active for longer then 18 months. Doesn't matter apparantly how long you've been a Sprint customer; only that you have the number and hardware that you wish to upgrade for longer then 18 months. Completely short-sighted in my opinion. This fact is making me hold off on a T650 purchase because I bought my T600 last October and would have to wait until May to be "elidgible" for the existing-customer discount. Bull****e if you ask me. So I'll wait it out and see what juicy tidbits of pda's and pocket pc's that Verizon comes up with.....to be continued.
  3.    #3  
    My wife and I have had Sprint for about 6 months

But my wife just came up with a cool idea:

Get rid of one of our phones and I can sign up on a separate account with Sprint and get the rebate. Does that sound to you like it'll work or are we forgetting something...

I suppose there's the activation fee, but it's still probably worth it.
    Oh, and I don't know yet if there's a penalty for getting rid of one of our phones - we're currently signed up on a 2 year contract.

Thanks for your info.
    You probably will have the cancellation fee ($150) which would negate any discount you'd get as a "new customer."

I understand Sprint has a Retaining department which is like an intensive-customer-service department for those clients threatening to leave for another carrier. I'm almost tempted to call those folks and tell them that I've been a SprintPCS customer for about 5+ years and that if they can't give me a lousy $150 discount for another 6 months then they can go pound sand and I'll find another service that has better reception near my home anyway (we're a little uptight here in Boston and anger comes naturally).
  5.    #5  
    I totally understand. You should try it! I'd love to hear what happens.

All the best!
    I just ordered my 650 yesterday and after haggling at length with Customer Service I got a comperable discount to the rebate.

In my situation, I completed my 1-year contract about 2 months ago but had another 4 months for their 18-month upgrade rule to take effect. After I argued at length that my position is no different than a new customer because I could quit and rejoin the same day and get the cheaper rate and the only difference would be that I'd need a new number. I also never mentioned the 650 explicitly so I could use the argument that I could leave Sprint altogether and go to another vendor and get the same cheaper rate there. I told them that a comperable discount was the minimum that I would accept to stay.

In the end he gave me half the discount (50 instead of 100 - I only wanted a 1 year contract), half off on my next months bill, raised my monthly minutes, lowered my monthly bill by $5, and my evening rate moved up from 9pm to 8am.
    Quote Originally Posted by jharmann
    In the end he gave me half the discount (50 instead of 100 - I only wanted a 1 year contract), half off on my next months bill, raised my monthly minutes, lowered my monthly bill by $5, and my evening rate moved up from 9pm to 8am.

Wow, that's quite a N&W change