This is my first post here, so I'll try to make it something that will benefit other members. I should be getting my Treo in the mail today. Anyway, keep reading if you're considering a Treo 600 from Verizon.

I've been a Verizon customer for about a year and a half with a 2 year contract. I had a plain vanilla Samsung phone that broke, and like an ***** I didn't get the replacement insurance. So I was looking at either buying a new phone at full retail price, or switching to another carrier and paying the early termination fee. Another consideration was that my boss really wanted me to have a PDA phone so I could do email on the road.

With these requirements in mind, it seemed like if I stuck with Verizon, my only real choice would be to pay full retail for either a new Treo (around $550). I called VZW and tried to get them to give me a Treo on promotion if I agreed to a new 2-year contract, but they wouldn't budge. It was either buy a new phone at full retail or nothing. They stated flat out that there was no other option.

So I decided to pay the termination fee ($175), switch to TMobile, and get the Blackberry 7100T, which was about $200 after rebates. That came to $375, which was still a lot less than the VZW solution.

So I get the BB home, and I get zero reception in my house. With my old VZW phone, I used to get perfect reception, at least 2 bars at all times, usually more. Luckily I was still in the TMobile cancellation period, so I get out of that deal (which went pretty smoothly, I must say) and switch over to AT&T with their new AudioVox 5600. The thing is small and light, runs Windows Mobile 2003 and Windows Media 10, and only costs $150. Again, I get zero reception in my house! I couldn't believe it!

It seems like VZW is the only service provider that works in my house. Rather than mess around with Cingular or Sprint, I just called VZW back and asked them if I could come back. Here's the good news:

1. They waived my early termination fee because I returned to them within 30 days.
2. They gave me a Treo 600 for $350 with a new 2 year plan! Remember, if I had just stayed with them and never left, they wouldn't have agreed to do this! They would have made me pay full price for the Treo!

So, if you are in a situation like I was, it might be worth the hassle to cancel your VZW, switch to another carrier, immediately cancel with the other carrier, and switch back to VZW! Sounds crazy, but it might just be the best way to get a good deal!

Anyway, I should be getting my new Treo via FedEx today. I hope to be an active member of these boards. Hope my little story helps someone!

matts