1.    #1  
    I'm trying to sell my Sprint Treo 600 on Ebay and someone interested in bidding has posed a question to me. They want me to give them the ESN of the phone to make sure it's clear.
    Are there possible negatives to giving this information out?
    Should I beware of providing this or just go ahead and give it?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I don't think there's much that a person could do with you ESN.

Just to give you a buyer's perspective, I would never buy a phone from a stranger w/out seeing if the ESN is clean. I recently was shopping for a Sanyo 4900 on Ebay. Of the 5 different sellers I contacted, 4 of them had "disabled" ESN's. In other words, had I bought any of those phones, I would NOT have been able to activate them. In all 4 cases, it wasn't because the phones were stolen, it was because the previous owner had a delinquent account.
    I wouldn't give your ESN away. It just sounds fishy. I don't know if they can do anything with it. If they know how to "make sure it's clear" there may be other things they can do (like program it into a phone and ring up some bills).
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the advice. Not sure what I'm going to do.
    I agree with Minsc, give it to people who are interested. There is nothing they can do with it except check to see if they will be able to use the phone with their carrier. This is a legit request.
    I just sold my Treo and had the same question posed to me. I told the potential buyer that I would provide the number if he won the auction before he paid for the item. But he didn't win so it didn't matter anyway.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I wouldn't give your ESN away. It just sounds fishy. I don't know if they can do anything with it. If they know how to "make sure it's clear" there may be other things they can do (like program it into a phone and ring up some bills).
    If you call Sprint, they will run a check on any ESN for you. Phones can't be cloned like they could in the old days with analog handsets.
    Don't give out the ESN. They can activate that phone on their account (Even w/o having the phone in hand). They could then report it stolen, then you're SOL.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoClones
    Don't give out the ESN. They can activate that phone on their account (Even w/o having the phone in hand). They could then report it stolen, then you're SOL.
    How?? If the phone is active on your account already, then it can't be activated on someone else's account. Simply not possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    How?? If the phone is active on your account already, then it can't be activated on someone else's account. Simply not possible.
    If he is selling it there is probably a good chance it isn't active on his account.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoClones
    Valid concern but if Primate has supporting documentation as the owner of the device, the stolen report will prove to be false. I think the risk of losing a sale is greater.
    They don't have to say it's stolen. They can say lost, dropped in the lake etc. Then you have a 600.00 paper weight.