1.    #1  
    Amazon is finally offering the T600 for Verizon. After rebate it is $349. The current rebate offer ends Nov 3, although I assume they will have some other offer after that.

I do want the T650 but it doesn't look like Verizon will have it any time soon. I have found Verizon to have the best coverage. I live near Boston so any company has good coverage there but I will be travelling with work soon and I'm worried that I won't get good coverage on other carriers like Sprint. You have to pay extra to roam from Sprint to Verizon's network and as I understand it that's just for voice and not data. Yes, Sprint's data plans are cheaper but it's not worth it if I can't use data when I travel.

I'm wondering if I should just snag the T600 from Amazon and suck up the higher costs on Verizon to get the better coverage or take a chance with Sprint and only be locked in for one year since I'll probably buy that on Amazon as well.

Hmmmmmm?
    You can pay a couple extra buck a month on sprint to not be locked in for any time period. Its what I did. Ended up canceling, but was nice to have the option for 6 months.
    is that the best option? any DECENT news on when the 650 will come out for verizon? getting an unlocked cdma? a test unit in the corporate chain?
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkopko
    any DECENT news on when the 650 will come out for verizon?
    There is no decent news when the 650 is coming out for Verizon..or Sprint.
    Look, they're going to get it eventually, it may not be until late spring or early summer, but they'll have it.
    Can you wait that long? That's the question. If you need something now, then you have no choice.
    I feel lucky because my contract expires next May and hopefully it will be out at that time.
    i really need a new phone, but i've been waiting months for the 650 to come out for verizon. it seems silly now to go buy a treo 600...

hmmmm...
    You've been waiting for months for the 650 to come out for Verizon? You do know that Verizon only got the 600 three months ago, right?

If you're waiting for Verizon to get the 650, my advice is to get comfortable.
    There is decent news on when the 650 is coming out for Sprint: before the end of this year. Recent corroborations suggest within the next couple of weeks.

There is no decent news on when (or whether) 650 is coming out for Verizon. It is a complete unknown at this point. There is simply...no news.

Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    There is no decent news when the 650 is coming out for Verizon..or Sprint.
    Adam,
    Weigh out the pros and cons. If domestic voice/data coverage and customer service are more important than a better screen, bluetooth, a little more speed, a little better camera, a replaceable battery and better voice/data plans, then you should stick with VZW. I'm not being sarcastic. I used to travel extensively and had to dump my wonderful Sprint plan for VZW because coverage was more important to me.

You might want to wait a bit for Sprint to release the Treo 650 and try it out for a couple of weeks of heavy travel and see how it works for you. All carriers are improving all of the time so Sprint might pleasantly surprise you. If it works, let everyone know. I don't expect Sprint to improve their customer service but if their coverage improves significantly, I might return myself.

If Sprint doesn't work out well, get yourself a Verizon phone and enjoy great data and voice coverage today. In another 6 months, you'll hear the rumors about the Treo 650 on VZW with the EVDO chipset. You'll have another decision to make -- buy an old Treo 650 with high speed wireless support or wait another 3 months for the latest and greatest from other carriers.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    If Sprint doesn't work out well, get yourself a Verizon phone and enjoy great data and voice coverage today. In another 6 months, you'll hear the rumors about the Treo 650 on VZW with the EVDO chipset. You'll have another decision to make -- buy an old Treo 650 with high speed wireless support or wait another 3 months for the latest and greatest from other carriers.
    That's what i'm worried about, if I stick with Verizon it seems like I'll always be waiting for the next device that's being released elsewhere. If I wait for Verizon to get the 650, the 700 will be in testing elsewhere and I'll rather have that. I'm not a gadget snob but if I'm gonna spend the money I might as well get the best available.

I have a plain old phone with Verizon now and the screen is going and I really need a new phone.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    AdamF -

That's the deal with Verizon, they are more concerned with customer service and network quality, then having the fanciest phone. They are focused on growing their net customer base, which means minimizing churn. Having phones that are well tested and work all over your network is a primary means for minimizing churn. As Sprint, AT&T, Cingular and TMo are more oriented towards top line subscriber growth (which hopefully will increase at a rate greater than their churn) their is not as much testing done on new mftrs products. The one thing you can be certain of with Verizon, when a new phone is introduced, it will definitely communicate with the network, be it voice or data.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    AdamF -

That's the deal with Verizon, they are more concerned with customer service and network quality, then having the fanciest phone. They are focused on growing their net customer base, which means minimizing churn. Having phones that are well tested and work all over your network is a primary means for minimizing churn. As Sprint, AT&T, Cingular and TMo are more oriented towards top line subscriber growth (which hopefully will increase at a rate greater than their churn) their is not as much testing done on new mftrs products. The one thing you can be certain of with Verizon, when a new phone is introduced, it will definitely communicate with the network, be it voice or data.
    Yes, I agree with that. I'm thinking based on the fact that I will be travelling, I'd rather have a phone that not only works in general but works wherever I travel. I'll probabaly get the T600 through Verizon and upgrade as they release new phones.

Now, if I buy the T600 with Verizon through Amazon, and something happens with my phone, who would I go through to get it fixed/replaced?
  13.    #13  
    Two things about Amazon:

1. When I tried to buy the T600 it showed me the voice plans but I could not select one. I called Amazon and they said they're still working with Verizon to get it working and he had no idea when it would be working. Not sure why it's up there then.

2. It's only for new customers, I already have a Verizon phone. Hopefully I qualify for the "New Every Two" and get $100 off.