Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I called sprint biz accounts to inquire when I would be eligible for a $150 rebate/ contract is about to expire discount. My plan expires in 6/05 and I pay my own bill, but get a volume discount.
    The CSR stated that because I bought my Treo (out of pocket mind you) in OCT, I would be eligible in 8/05 for the $150 discount.
    I requested cancellation to see if I could do better, and the best they could offer was a $75 mail-in rebate.
    I was told that if I bought a new phone ie a 650, then it would be 18 months later from when I did before I got a $150 discount. Is it me or does this sound foolish?
    I essentially get penalized for purchasing a new phone out of pocket.
    So Forum members give me some feedback, I think this is BS, and I should run to cingular, but I would like to know your opinions!
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    Cingular your looking at slower data and not $15 for data either, right?
    what they say seems right to me. you get a discount to bait you to come to Sprint. The fact that they even offer a 18month upgrade rebate is pretty cool IMHO. They could already think your a captive sprint user and not give you any $ off. But they know that you will try to cancel I guess, so they give you the discount, but it's a credit to the account, not a mail in rebate right?
  3.    #3  
    No I believe it was a mail-in rebate. I guess I am a bit peeved because when I wanted the 600 I wan't eligible, as I has just got a Sprint A60 for renewing my contract around 7/03. It previously had always been about 18 mo from when sprint last gave a direct disscount. This is no more
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    I was under the impression that the $150 discount (actually a mail-in rebate) applied to phones bought directly from Sprint, and you had to wait 18 months from your last purchase to qualify. Where you are in your contract is irrelevant.
    I bought my 600 from Handspring when it first came out. I think I had also bought my 300 from Handspring, so I haven't bought a phone from Sprint in a few years, and I am eligible for the rebate. You can check your eligibility at www.sprintrebates.com.
    Zane
    Ok, Now I am a little confused too. the last time I used a Sprint rebate was over two years ago, when the Treo300 was new. When I first became a Sprint Customer. They say I am not eleigable until April 2005. I paid full price (minus the HS rebate which is no from them) for the Treo600 last October. I think that is kinda not fair.I assumed it was from the last time it was used. I thoght for sure I would be able to get the discount. Dang....
    So when I called last year and did a ESN swap, I guess the ESN number flaged it as a new model and restarted the 18month deal. That does not seem very fair IMHO.

Is this what you were getting at jf? Or was it from the last time you got a rebate from them?

edit: It did miss read yours, you have the same issue was me. I thoguht you ment you bought it out of pocket and started a contract then too. It sounds like we are in the same boat, I bought a treo300 2 years agao, started a contract. Bought a new one without any discount or help from Sprint (out of pocket). Since I changed ESN numbers, I am being dinged for doing so. the other phone on the account, which was bought with a Sprint rebate discount at the same time as the Treo300 an get the discount. even thoguht i did cahnge ESN numbers on that account, it was with the same model.

I don't know, kinda up in the ait about this one now....
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 11/02/2004 at 09:24 AM.
    Now I am confused for you both. I did an ESN swap last October (300 to 600) and I am eligible for the rebate. What does the www.sprintrebates.com site say for each of you?
    Zane
    I used the rebate site. Said for my #, I am not, for my wifes. I am. Both #'s were done at the same time. 2 years ago, we opened an account for 2 phones. It says that I can get it in april05 which is 18 monts after I got the treo600. I had the 300 before that.
    Wounder why you can and I can't. Perhaps I'll call?
    Their policy is every 18 months regardless of where you got your phone. Seems backwards to me, and I may end up going elsewhere if I cannot get the discount.
    "Activating a new phone prior to date of eligibility resets your eligibility date to 18 months after your most recent new phone activation " http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popu...NewForYou.html
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 11/02/2004 at 11:34 AM.
    KRamsauer,
    Do you know how to get the Sprint upgrade rebate on a phone bought from someone else?
    I am planning to attend the roadshow in Dallas on Thursday, and will get the coupon for the $349 650. A $150 rebate on top of that would be fantastic!
    Zane
    Look at it another way. After your 18 month wait, you can buy a phone from ANY retailer with any discount offers whatsoever, then call Sprint for an ESN swap and they credit you $150 for your equipment upgrade. So the advantage/disadvantage is on how you look at it.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  11.    #11  
    Burk in your edit you and I are on the same page!
    Can you keep your current plan or will they make you change plans?
    You get to keep your plan.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Their policy is every 18 months regardless of where you got your phone. Seems backwards to me, and I may end up going elsewhere if I cannot get the discount.
    "Activating a new phone prior to date of eligibility resets your eligibility date to 18 months after your most recent new phone activation " http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popu...NewForYou.html
    This must not be entirely true, because according to that, I shouldn't be eligible but the website says I am. I just got my 600 in late June from Amazon without a new contract (I wasn't eligible for the $150 off rebate yet and had $200 in Amazon gift certificates), so I called Sprint and swapped my number from my A500's ESN to the 600's. That was only 4 months ago but www.sprintrebates.com says that I'm eligible for the rebate credit. Now I did not get my phone from Sprint but obviously they knew about the ESN swap, so a simple ESN swap must not trigger it. Or at least it didn't in my case.

I'm not complaining, I was planning on using my wife's $150 rebate to get the 650, now it looks like I won't have to go through her ordering a new phone through Telesales, swapping her number to the new ESN, waiting for it to get delivered, and then swapping my number to the 650 and then swapping her number to a different phone.

And you do have to change your plan when you get the $150 rebate if you're currently not paying $35 a month or don't have a Vision package when you purchase the 650. This would've applied to me as my wife isn't paying $35 and doesn't have a Vision-enabled phone, therefore doesn't have a Vision plan. That wouldn't apply to anyone with a Treo unless you were gonna do what I was planning on doing.
    Unfortunatly the policy is that you have to have the same phone activated for 18months to qualify for a rebate. If you change ESNs then the clock starts over. If you get a warrenty swap (or lockline) they will make an exception but if you change phones regardless of weather it cost sprint a dime the clock restarts. Is if fair? Does it make sence of course not, but that is the policy. You also have to sign up for a new two year contract to get the 150. You can keep the same plan.

I understand that there is a new plan that you can sign up for that allows a rebate every 18 months (you can buy new phones with out restarting the 18 months) but you have to sign up for it, (with a new two year contract) and the clock starts from when you sign up!

In the case below the website must be in accurate and I suggest that you check very carefully before you buy that phone and send in for a rebate.

Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    This must not be entirely true, because according to that, I shouldn't be eligible but the website says I am. I just got my 600 in late June from Amazon without a new contract (I wasn't eligible for the $150 off rebate yet and had $200 in Amazon gift certificates), so I called Sprint and swapped my number from my A500's ESN to the 600's. That was only 4 months ago but www.sprintrebates.com says that I'm eligible for the rebate credit. Now I did not get my phone from Sprint but obviously they knew about the ESN swap, so a simple ESN swap must not trigger it. Or at least it didn't in my case.

I'm not complaining, I was planning on using my wife's $150 rebate to get the 650, now it looks like I won't have to go through her ordering a new phone through Telesales, swapping her number to the new ESN, waiting for it to get delivered, and then swapping my number to the 650 and then swapping her number to a different phone.

And you do have to change your plan when you get the $150 rebate if you're currently not paying $35 a month or don't have a Vision package when you purchase the 650. This would've applied to me as my wife isn't paying $35 and doesn't have a Vision-enabled phone, therefore doesn't have a Vision plan. That wouldn't apply to anyone with a Treo unless you were gonna do what I was planning on doing.
    Last edited by mbrenner; 11/05/2004 at 11:50 PM. Reason: forgot a paragraph
    My experience has been the same as jmill72x. I did an ESN swap last October or November (300 to 600) and the Sprint rebate site says I am eligible for the rebate. I bought my son a new phone with activation in July, 2003, and he is not eligible until December.
    Zane
    ESN swap for the same model, or a different one?
  18.    #18  
    maybe I'll call and protest this, because I am getting railroaded
    burkhardi,

My ESN swap was an upgrade from the 300 to the 600. I had bought the 600 from Handspring. I don't remember where I bought the 300. I don't think I was eligible for any rebates when I switched to the 600.

Zane
    I replaced my defective Treo600 with a new one (under a replacement contract with BestBuy) in May after purchasing it from BestBuy in November. I just checked the Sprint Rebate website and it says I am not eligible for a rebate until November 05.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast