1.    #1  
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/forum...ad.php?t=50862

TreoCentral.com >> Discussion >> Service Providers >> Sprint PCS and Verizon
    Cure for wrong network time. Sprint Treo600 with Network Time Enabled

Register | FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Cure for wrong network time. Sprint Treo600 with Network Time Enabled

Burkhardi

Treo: Treo600
    Provider: Sprint
    Cure for wrong network time. Sprint Treo600 with Network Time Enabled #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symptom: You launch the "City Time" app and you get an error asking to change your "home" city, due to wrong Time Zone.

For those select few that get the wrong time setting (the time display will show the correct time, it's the embedded data (GMT offset (AKA Time Zone) and DST) that is wrong) when you select "Enable Local Network Time" in the OE "Prefs" app, I found the issue.

After many, many phone calls to Sprint and post's here, as well as troubleshooting with other towns like Dallas, Houston, San Antionio, San Marcus and San Degio Califoriona, I got to the bottom of it.............

THE SOLUTION: Call Vision support (877-228-2257) and tell them that you have an issue with the Local Network Time in the local towers. Tell them that it reads correct, but the embeded data, like Time Zone and Daylight Saving Time is wrong. Due to this, you have issues running applications that use that info, like the "City Time" application. Make sure they note the following in the trouble ticket "The "DAY-LT" setting, in the towers, via "BTS CALL PROCESSING" have the wrong TIME ZONE selected".

Now once this IS fixed, you need to keep the wrong time info selected and the Enable Local Network Time NOT SELECTED, then turn Wireless mode off, then on. Ofter that, then select the Enable Local Network Time, then to check, unselect it, and you should see the correct time then.

Hope this is helpful to someone, man what a task, Matt Burkhard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Burkhardi : 03-25-2004 at 09:48 PM.
    03-24-2004, 02:08 PM

Burkhardi
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Burkhardi
    Send email to Burkhardi
    Find More Posts by Burkhardi
    Add Burkhardi to Your Buddy List

Minsc

Re: Cure for wrong network time. Sprint Treo600 with Network Time Enabled #2

Awesome work Burkardi!! This is one of those annoying little bugs that would be great to have fixed. So what's the ultimate problem? Is it something with the towers/network that Sprint "fixes?"

I plan to call that Vision tech number tonight. I"ll let you know how it goes.
    03-25-2004, 08:44 PM

Minsc
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Minsc
    Find More Posts by Minsc
    Add Minsc to Your Buddy List

Burkhardi

Re: Cure for wrong network time. Sprint Treo600 with Network Time Enabled #3

THanks... Yes, It's a local setting (per city) and they have to do each tower. The Tech said that they run a script to change the time and I guess this is how they do all the towers in that local area (city).

As I said before, only the towers by my house was fixed at first, due to the tech testing and troubleshooting. He said that the rest should be done. Yesterday, if I travled across town, it would be wrong again (not the time, just the GMT off set) and then correct when I got back home. Today, it seems more areas are working correctly, if not all. Any other users in Austin out there?

And yes, it's a Sprint deal, not your hardware. If you are having the same issues as I was, then changing the DAY-LT setting (in the tower) will fix it.

Keep us informed on your progress, Matt
    03-25-2004, 09:47 PM

Burkhardi
    View Public Profile
    Send email to Burkhardi

christo1970

Treo: 600
    Re: Cure for wrong network time. Sprint Treo600 with Network Time Enabled #4

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    THanks... Yes, It's a local setting (per city) and they have to do each tower. The Tech said that they run a script to change the time and I guess this is how they do all the towers in that local area (city).

As I said before, only the towers by my house was fixed at first, due to the tech testing and troubleshooting. He said that the rest should be done. Yesterday, if I travled across town, it would be wrong again (not the time, just the GMT off set) and then correct when I got back home. Today, it seems more areas are working correctly, if not all. Any other users in Austin out there?

And yes, it's a Sprint deal, not your hardware. If you are having the same issues as I was, then changing the DAY-LT setting (in the tower) will fix it.

Keep us informed on your progress, Matt

Im in North Austin and mines still acting up. Do I need to call and report this also for Austin (wouldn't hurt i guess)?

Chris

"Re-Defeat Bush"

Like Father, Like Son
    One Term, and your Done
    03-25-2004, 11:08 PM

christo1970
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to christo1970
    Find More Posts by christo1970
    Add christo1970 to Your Buddy List

cash70

Treo: Treo 600
    Provider: Sprint PCS
    Re: Cure for wrong network time. Sprint Treo600 with Network Time Enabled #5

Thanks! Will do so today.

cash70

Nokia 5170/Palm III (1999-2002) > Kyocera 6035 (2002-2003) > Treo 600 (2003 and counting)
    03-26-2004, 04:15 AM

cash70
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to cash70
    Send email to cash70
    Find More Posts by cash70
    Add cash70 to Your Buddy List

Burkhardi

Re: Cure for wrong network time. Sprint Treo600 with Network Time Enabled #6

Quote:
    Originally Posted by christo1970
    Im in North Austin and mines still acting up. Do I need to call and report this also for Austin (wouldn't hurt i guess)?

Chris

Chris,
    Where in N. Austin. I am at Pamer and Mo-Pac and it's fine (now). I am at work today down on Ben White and 35 and it's not correct here. I will call again today, I don't know if they have not gotten around to doing all the towers yet, if they are just going to wait a week till DST starts or what?
    At least it's fixed at my house, and we now know were the issue lies and what the setting is called. However, I travle around Austin so much, I need the town to be fixed, not just my house.
    Matt

Cash70 Let us know how it goes..
    03-26-2004, 12:59 PM

Burkhardi
    View Public Profile
    Send email to Burkhardi

Minsc

Re: Cure for wrong network time. Sprint Treo600 with Network Time Enabled #7

Burkardi, I called Sprint today and talked to a tech who was VERY impressed that I knew all of this specific detail regarding this issue. Of course I gave props to you... He said that this is a known issue, and opened a trouble ticket for me. He told me that a technician would call me within a few days to discuss the problem further and give me a time estimate on the solution.

Here's the weird thing: The tech called me this afternoon. He said that I need to go to a Sprint store to have my Treo "udpated" with a software patch. I was very skeptical, and prodded him further on this. He assured me that the issue was with the software, not the towers. (he said the towers only broadcast date/time info, not timezones)
    I plan to call my local Sprint store, but am fully expecting them to have absolutely no clue as to what I'm talking about. I have updated my Treo with the "sms fix" a month ago, and that's the only software patch that I'm aware of for the Sprint version of the Treo.
    any thoughts on this? The tech guy I talked to "seemed" intelligent...??
    03-26-2004, 01:49 PM

Minsc
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Minsc
    Find More Posts by Minsc
    Add Minsc to Your Buddy List

christo1970

Treo: 600
    Re: Cure for wrong network time. Sprint Treo600 with Network Time Enabled #8

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Minsc
    Burkardi, I called Sprint today and talked to a tech who was VERY impressed that I knew all of this specific detail regarding this issue. Of course I gave props to you... He said that this is a known issue, and opened a trouble ticket for me. He told me that a technician would call me within a few days to discuss the problem further and give me a time estimate on the solution.

Here's the weird thing: The tech called me this afternoon. He said that I need to go to a Sprint store to have my Treo "udpated" with a software patch. I was very skeptical, and prodded him further on this. He assured me that the issue was with the software, not the towers. (he said the towers only broadcast date/time info, not timezones)
    I plan to call my local Sprint store, but am fully expecting them to have absolutely no clue as to what I'm talking about. I have updated my Treo with the "sms fix" a month ago, and that's the only software patch that I'm aware of for the Sprint version of the Treo.
    any thoughts on this? The tech guy I talked to "seemed" intelligent...??

When I went to tell the Sprint store about the problem, they did do some sort of update (did nothing) and the problem persisted.

Matt - I'm near 35/Rundberg area and work at Howard/35. Neither seem to work for me. I'm gonna try it around Fry's this weekend.....

"Re-Defeat Bush"

Like Father, Like Son
    One Term, and your Done
    03-26-2004, 06:11 PM

christo1970
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to christo1970
    Find More Posts by christo1970
    Add christo1970 to Your Buddy List

Burkhardi

Re: Cure for wrong network time. Sprint Treo600 with Network Time Enabled #9

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Minsc
    Burkardi, I called Sprint today and talked to a tech who was VERY impressed that I knew all of this specific detail regarding this issue. Of course I gave props to you...

Thanks

Quote:

I have to say he is wrong. The reason is that I could/can go to other cities and it works just dandy. I too thought it may be a global deal and not a local deal, but when other cities work fine, excpet your hometown and they are with in 3hrs of each other, it makes you wonder. Not to mention that the tech that helped me had mine reading the correct time (GMT offset and DST setting) within 2hrs and he never touched my Treo. Unless you have a different issue, then the issue is not your phone.

What you are discribing is what I ran into, people that don't really understand it, or think that it can't be wrong.THat is why I aksed the tech for the info so poeple (like you and Chris) could give them a quote that the local tower tech then could read and understand. Best of luck to you and please keep us posted! Matt
    03-26-2004, 06:18 PM

Burkhardi
    View Public Profile
    Send email to Burkhardi

Burkhardi

all this time to no avial...Matt
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 11/01/2004 at 10:27 AM.
  2.    #2  
    Update 11/01/04
    it's fixed in Austin Texas as of 10:00am

Minsc, I just got a call from the local Sprint guy in Austin, Texas. He told me that they fixed the issue and that it's city wide this time, not just my tower at my house like last year. To make sure, I cycled the radio on my treo and then de-selected the 'Enable Local network Time' and sure enough, it's 'USA(mountain) and Daylight Saving is off (like it should be).

GOTTA LOVE IT!!

So I told him about you. There is no ticket to referance since I called him directly. however he said this needs to be on the ticket..

"this info must be given to a 'Switch Tech' the techs that service and maintain the towers and switchs. The 'Daylight Setting' must be false for the fall and 'true' for the spring.The DayLT setting is not false in the BTS call processing. It needs to be changed to false and then check the time zone"

I would call Sprint service again, tell them this. HAVE THEM REPEAT IT BACK TO YOU. GIve them a brief overview so they understand why we are so critical. I would even encurage them to call you. Give the person that is doing the ticket your cell number and ask them to have a local tech call you. Remeber, it was not untill a Sprint Tech CAME TO MY HOUSE, that they understood. Be nice and friendly to them when you call to (not saying your not), you get further it seems, and it was not them that set it wrong anyway

Let me know if you can't get an satisfaction. If you can't I'll call my contact again, give him your ticket number and see if you can set yout local guys stright.

This should NOT have to be this hard!!!

Once you get a quailfied person, they will understnad 100%.

NOTE: it seems that the ONLY Sprint phone effected by this issue is the Treo600. All others, even the Treo300 don't use this setting. Only the Treo600 and even then, if you never use the City Time app, don't use the ELNT or don't care you will never know. Thant makes a VERY VERY SMALL user base. That might be why they are so lost?

Keep me posted!

Best of luck my friend!! Matt