1.    #1  
    The subject says it all. I realize the phone isn't in anyone's hands yet, but is anyone thinking about doing it? I hacked three Sprint units, with minimal trouble, over to VZW. My corp verizon rep told me NOT to count on seeing the T650 till at least next summer, the earliest.

Thoughts...
    I sure am thinking about it... I just have to come up with the cash to make the purchase first. Oh, and they have to start shipping...
    Keep me posted! Might be very interested also.... I have not done it but wouldn't mind in trying it out.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Will it still work on VZW network? Would you be able to download all of the roam features/updates through *228? When you did the esn change, would you tell the rep that you were switching to another Treo? If it works, that would be awesome, but to spend $500 + and have it not work, that would be a nightmare.
    If you keep all your original settings, and IF you can convert everything back to a pristine state, then you can sign up for Sprint and cancel within "x" number of days if it doesn't work.
    Actually, I am going to hold off as long as I can since I can't stand the thought of not having insurance for it.
    Same here, I'll hold off until the second day of release.

The only concern is either having a $600 brick or having Sprint as my carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by syzygy
    I sure am thinking about it... I just have to come up with the cash to make the purchase first. Oh, and they have to start shipping...
    I remember considering following your footsteps when you did it with the Treo 600 but was hesitant to spend the money for a fully UNsubsidized Treo 600.

But I have one of the Treo Road Shows certificates from when I attended and so I will say that if you're up to it, I might be convinced in joining you as a willing guinea pig. Since the price is only $350 and I don't believe they are requiring a contact, it might be worth considering.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Steve -

A few things:

1) VZW requires a contract for everything and anything you do on their network.

2) ESN changes automatically renew your account for one year so if you change from the 600 to the 650, you will have renewed your contract for an additional year.

3) I don't see how you will get VZW's system to recognize the 650's ESN as a Sprint 650 ESN will not be authorized to light up on VZW's system in all likelihood. Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't see how these devices can be used until VZW authorizes the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    2) ESN changes automatically renew your account for one year so if you change from the 600 to the 650, you will have renewed your contract for an additional year.
    That is not my experience. I've changed ESNs several times -- not phone replacements -- over the last 3 years and my contract date never changed.
    ambtreo,

I agree with Beryl on this one, I have switched ESN's on Verizon's network and there is no automatic renewal.

With respect to them denying the ESN from being registered since it is a Sprint phone, well, I can't say with 100% authority that it will work. But I have not seen any statement with 100% authority that it will NOT work. There have been rumors that they will refuse a non-VZW ESN. But I've read enough instances of people getting non-VZW phones (not just T600's, but T608's as well) registered on VZW that this might be worth it to me.
    When I registered my 600 on verizon's network, I did it via the web. There was no contract renewal, and it didn't check to see if it was a verizon phone or not. I think when I called to get my express network (data) turned on they mentioned that it wasn't a verizon ESN and that they couldn't tell what kind of phone it was, and I just told them it was a smartphone (or a palm-phone) and the rep was like, oh, okay, and moved on...
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Well then, good luck to all - VZW should just be selling the 650's at the same time as sprint anyway. FYI - I have not seen any posts to this effect, but my rep at Earthlink has told me that they will be selling 650's in the next few months. Earthlink last month started to offer BB 7750's as a VZW reseller for both voice and data. This is definitely true as I just purchased 2 7750's for my company. When you look at the data coverage maps, it is exactly the same as VZW's. This reminds me of when Worldcom resold VZW. There might be alot more flexibility with respect to how the 650 can interact with the VZW network, including the time to market. I could definitely see Earthlink selling 650's on VZW's network b4 VZW does :-)