1.    #1  
    After I bought my Treo, my boss was so jealous that he ran right out and bought one too. I have Sprint, and he has Cingular. I can't stand it that he will be standing right next to me, and his Treo is happily flashing its green light, he receives his e-mail, phone rings, etc. Mine, on the other hand, has the "no-signal" orange light glowing. This happens all over the place. We can be together in meetings in various places throughout our workplace (it can range from within a hospital to other buildings), and he has service on Cingular while my Sprint is useless. I have called Sprint several times, and they have no answer for me. Just that "sometimes you're in a bad area." Anyone else notice that Sprint doesn't have as good coverage as Cingular? I'm thinking of switching carriers, but then I'll need to switch Treos too, right?
    Where are you located? That might have something to do with it.
  3.    #3  
    I'm about 15-20 miles north of Boston. There are plenty of towers around. In fact, today I was in my office and a computer repairman came in. His phone rang, he answered it, everything worked for him. He has Verizon. My phone gets no signal AT ALL in my building.
    Jean
    Quote Originally Posted by jachang
    After I bought my Treo, my boss was so jealous that he ran right out and bought one too. I have Sprint, and he has Cingular. I can't stand it that he will be standing right next to me, and his Treo is happily flashing its green light, he receives his e-mail, phone rings, etc. Mine, on the other hand, has the "no-signal" orange light glowing. This happens all over the place. We can be together in meetings in various places throughout our workplace (it can range from within a hospital to other buildings), and he has service on Cingular while my Sprint is useless. I have called Sprint several times, and they have no answer for me. Just that "sometimes you're in a bad area." Anyone else notice that Sprint doesn't have as good coverage as Cingular? I'm thinking of switching carriers, but then I'll need to switch Treos too, right?
    This is exactly why I switched from Sprint (7 yrs) to Cingular two weeks ago.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by lb505
    This is exactly why I switched from Sprint (7 yrs) to Cingular two weeks ago.
    Laurie,
    Do you find any other differences? Does Cingular have anything comparable to Business Connection?
    Jean
    I believe there are other apps out there that do what Business Connection does. Someone else will have to chime in and help you though because BC was all I used. Cingular does not offer an application like BC.

I have found that the sound quality is far superior on Cingular. I never realized how muffled phone calls were on Sprint until we started to use Cingular. I think I probably got more bang for my buck from Sprint but what good does that do if I get no signal at home?

And for the record, I thought Sprint was great other than a poor signal at my house.
    Does anyone in the Northern NJ or NYC area feel good about Cingular or Sprint??
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Does anyone in the Northern NJ or NYC area feel good about Cingular or Sprint??
    BEST service for this area is Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallardo
    BEST service for this area is Verizon
    But they project Verizon to get the 650 in late 2005

I was hoping to get one that had pretty good phone service and fair data service plans with a new 650 and contract.
    The only two carriers that really have great coverage is verizon and cingular now that they are taking att over next week. ATT will have sites that should fill in the holes they have in some cities, plus att's network is way ahead of cingular with edge. ATT is nationwide and cingular is still building,but now that they have att why build now
    If you were Apple, what service provider would you partner with and why?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lb505
    I believe there are other apps out there that do what Business Connection does. Someone else will have to chime in and help you though because BC was all I used. Cingular does not offer an application like BC.

I have found that the sound quality is far superior on Cingular. I never realized how muffled phone calls were on Sprint until we started to use Cingular. I think I probably got more bang for my buck from Sprint but what good does that do if I get no signal at home?

And for the record, I thought Sprint was great other than a poor signal at my house.
    Muffled phone calls?? Using what phone? In a quiet room GSM has a very slight edge in sound quality. (not clearer, just a different tonal quality that is nicer sounding) But in a noisy background I'll take CDMA any day for sound quality. (this is coming from experience BTW, not just idle chat )
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Muffled phone calls?? Using what phone? In a quiet room GSM has a very slight edge in sound quality. (not clearer, just a different tonal quality that is nicer sounding) But in a noisy background I'll take CDMA any day for sound quality. (this is coming from experience BTW, not just idle chat )
    Sprint phones in the past two years: Treo 600, Sanyo 8100, Sanyo 4900, Hitachi P300, Samsung A500, Sanyo 4700, Audiovox 9155 (?)

Cingular has more than a slight edge in sound quality. Calls are louder and clearer by far with Cingular. This is coming from experience, BTW. I had Sprint for over 6 years. I still have one line left with Sprint just in case they get better here but I'm not counting on that. I'm very happy with Cingular now.
    I have Sprint and its just the opposite. I have signal and all the cingular users are SOL.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    must be the area you're in... everywhere I've used my Sprint Treo it's been clear as a bell.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    But they project Verizon to get the 650 in late 2005
    Perhaps but I'm guessing that VZW's 650 will support EVDO though. I was checking out their FAQs and they stated that Wireless Sync only works with NationalAccess phones and would support EVDO Smartphones when they became available.

VZW is late on introducing phones but they tend to introduce a feature that makes business users happy -- like Wireless Sync and the Treo 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Perhaps but I'm guessing that VZW's 650 will support EVDO though. I was checking out their FAQs and they stated that Wireless Sync only works with NationalAccess phones and would support EVDO Smartphones when they became available.

VZW is late on introducing phones but they tend to introduce a feature that makes business users happy -- like Wireless Sync and the Treo 600.
    I doubt that. They didn't release a Treo 600 with new hardware features and they most probably will not release a 650 with new hardware features in 9-12 months.

Wireless Sync is all software enhancements that was an added feature from Verizon, and even that from what I have read is sometimes buggy.

Verizon is(if) going to release a 650 that is basically the same exact piece of hardware you will be finding from Sprint with revised software.

Verizon also makes a lot of $$ selling their PC5220 solution and I really don't think they are going to rush to offer EVDO on the 650....
    How is Cingular/ATT doing with the TDMA->GSM conversion?