Global Posts
    492 Global Posts

Well, if there was an icon for eating my words, that would be appropriate. I have made numerous posts with respect to my "journey's" utilizing the VZW WS product. When it works, it provides real time syncing of your address book, date book, inbox, drafts, and sent mail. When it works, your sync's happen in approx. 1-5 minutes dependent on the capacity utilization of the VZW/Intellisync servers (Intellisync is a private company that VZW has outsourced 100% of the server operations/maintenance/software of VZW's branded Wireless Sync middleware application). When it works, you get a fancy "Intellisync" window that shows you all the sync's that should be occuring b/w your PC desktop, VZW WS server and your handheld. When it works, you can track all of this activity through a very detailed activity log. Lastly, when it works, VZW gives you access to a "web mail" view of the WS server.

Well, when it works, it works great...however, it rarely, rarely works I have spent countless hours on the phone with VZW tech support (3 steps up the food chain with the highest tech support personnel), two people at Intellisync, and they have all been polite and thorough in their attempts to identify the problems that I have discussed with them, which are as follows:

The VZW Wireless Sync product rarely, if at all, syncs. I have had sent mails that have resided in the WS outbox for almost 24 hrs! I have had messages sit in the WS inbox for 12 hours, even though I am in a Network Push status with 3 bars + of coverage. And to top it off, anytime I make a change to a contact or to my datebook, the sync's occur within 5 seconds
    As a business user, this product does not work. You cannot rely on it to send or receive emails, which is the core application for any wireless email product. So I will eat crow, and take whatever duly earned abuse that I deserve for switching my position mid-stream.

However, there is a happy conclusion to this story...and it is called CHATTER I downloaded the Chatter trial yesterday, worked with my IT group to open the apprpropriate ports on my server's firewall (we use MS Exchange Server/Outlook 2003) and after we had inputted the correct IMAP server names, user names and passwords, I suddenly had an email/software product that thoroughly exceeded all of my expectations. You have INSTANTANEOUS PUSH syncs with your Inbox. You have almost instant (1-2 minutes) syncs with your Outbox. You can also sync drafts and choosed up to a total of 8 online folders to sync with your Treo and Outlook. There is no middleware, no software to load on your pc, and no 3rd party to act as an intermediary to house all of your data. What you get is an astonishingly quick and effective access to your email. For me, using this on the VZW data network means that I will have the best coverage throughout the US, and most importantly in the NE US (where I live). And you also get Marc Blank, who is quick and thorough to answer your emails and/or posts. Marc is constantly updating Chatter and is open to critiques, which he uses as the source for improvements and new revisions for Chatter. I immediately registered Chatter for $25. If your emails is working out of a Microsoft Exchange Server environment (and if you are friendly with your IT Staff) this is by far the best product for you to use to drive email to your Treo (other than spending $1,000 + per annum for Good software).

So my story end's happily - I have the access I want (real time) to all of my email, I have the coverage I need, and I have an entrepreneur who is continuing to upgrade the software. The folks at PalmOne should look at how well Marc has designed his product - the only areas that they will probably improve upon by utilizing MS Active Exchange is with respect to dates and contacts, which Chatter does not currently support. Now I can thoroughly enjoy my Treo, and I am a better user for having gone through the trials and tribulations of trying to help the country's largest carrier role out what is currently a beta version of software on a national basis.
    Ambtreo,

I have also been struggling with VZW WS. Not the the degree you have but struggling all the same. It is very frustrating when emails are delayed inbound or outbound. This solution is "kinda good" at best and in the corporate world that equates to BAD!. Unfortunately I am not in a position to utilize Chatter as Our Domino Servers only support Blackberry. So, I WAIT for the BB solution to be released for the Palm OS and Pray that it is the solution I am desperately hoping it to be. Until then I will drudgingly work my way thru this WS "Kinda" solution.
    Cheers.
    ITA w/mbehringer. I'm in the same situation regarding my corporate email servers. My IT organization would laugh in my face and have me taken away if I suggested they open ports to support Chatter.

I do agree that when VZW WS works, it does so very, very well. My biggest problem is ensuring my workstation maintains a connection to the corporate server. Most of the time, it will remain connected but when I leave town on business trips, there is no one to re-establish the connection when it drops.

Hopefully the BB solution for the Palm will be a more reliable alternative.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Beryl,

I hear you loud and clear on the "port" issues and given the size of your organization, that may very well be an unwise risk for them to take. As our organization is not that big, and Chatter will not be offered to many other users, our IT team is comfortable with the risks and we have come up with a number of different measures to deal with any risks corresponding to having an IMAP port open. I am sure that a BB solution will work fine once it is introduced, but if I am correctly remembering the press release it will require a subscription to Blackberry.net, which might not be able to handle your VZW Treo. The good news is that all these syncing issues will get better b/w Blackberry and the Palm integration with MS Active Sync.

MBehringer,

Hopefully the VZW WS solution will improve for you - good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    I am sure that a BB solution will work fine once it is introduced, but if I am correctly remembering the press release it will require a subscription to Blackberry.net, which might not be able to handle your VZW Treo. The good news is that all these syncing issues will get better b/w Blackberry and the Palm integration with MS Active Sync.

I missed that subcription part in the press release. Well, I will gladly pay a reasonable subscription price if I can get BlackBerry reliability/connectivity on my Treo.
    I hope the BB solution will be available soon.
    Cheers