1.    #1  
    I love Sprint's service, the data, the voice, the extra features (like picture mail), etc.

I pay $130 a month now for my cell phone after taxes ($100 plan + taxes and phone insurance). However, my company has a cell phone plan and since I use my cell phone for business (about 66% business) they're willing to pay for my cell phone entirely. Unfortunately, they will only pay if I switch to their Verizon plan.

Now I like Verizon's phone service as well but their data services seem extremely expensive. What do you Verizon owners have for plans?

Additionally, I really wanted to upgrade to the Treo 650, but Verizon isn't going to have it for a while so I guess I'll have to buy a 600 from Verizon and sell my Sprint Treo 600. I guess that means I might be willing to trade or arrange something for a Verizon owner looking to switch to Sprint, but that's not that important to me right now.

Verizon owners or Sprint owners with Verizon knowledge, please help me figure out what I need to do.

Thanks
    if your employer will pay for the service plan, is there any reason you would not get the unlimited data plan? T<
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianV
    I love Sprint's service, the data, the voice, the extra features (like picture mail), etc.

I pay $130 a month now for my cell phone after taxes ($100 plan + taxes and phone insurance). However, my company has a cell phone plan and since I use my cell phone for business (about 66% business) they're willing to pay for my cell phone entirely. Unfortunately, they will only pay if I switch to their Verizon plan.

Now I like Verizon's phone service as well but their data services seem extremely expensive. What do you Verizon owners have for plans?

Additionally, I really wanted to upgrade to the Treo 650, but Verizon isn't going to have it for a while so I guess I'll have to buy a 600 from Verizon and sell my Sprint Treo 600. I guess that means I might be willing to trade or arrange something for a Verizon owner looking to switch to Sprint, but that's not that important to me right now.

Verizon owners or Sprint owners with Verizon knowledge, please help me figure out what I need to do.

Thanks
    There is a post somewhere in here that allows shows you how to use your Sprint 600 (voice and data) on Verizon's Network...
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Brian;
    I have had both and to me Verizon is better.
    If you search this forum you will see that most of the reported problems have been with Sprint phones (as compared to Verizon).
    Maybe it was a trade off for the 9 months wait; maybe the bigger volume of non-Verizon phones; and maybe the learning curve for the manufacturer was at the expense of Att, Tmobile, Cingular, and Sprint. Or maybe Verizon is just better.

I think we all can find something to gripe about with our carriers, as I have been lately, about the insurance carrier Asurion (on another thread). But Verizon will be great especially if you travel alot.
    Good luck and think of this thread as you work with the great CS people at Verizon.
    Curt
    PS I am NOT a verizon employee!!!!
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
    I found that my Verizon Treo has atrocious battery life due to the Wireless Sync and data connection issue. This is a deal breaker. Furthermore, I'm confident that Verizon will be the last carrier to support the Treo 650. I'm considering a move to either Sprint or one of the GSM carriers (I plead ignorance when I say they all appear the same to me). Verizon does not seem to me a consumer friendly service. They are corporate friendly. If your company is supporting Verizon and is willing to pay for the service (voice and data) then it is probably worth it.

For the Treo at the consumer level - I believe it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by curtarmy
    Brian;
    I have had both and to me Verizon is better.
    If you search this forum you will see that most of the reported problems have been with Sprint phones (as compared to Verizon).
    Maybe it was a trade off for the 9 months wait; maybe the bigger volume of non-Verizon phones; and maybe the learning curve for the manufacturer was at the expense of Att, Tmobile, Cingular, and Sprint. Or maybe Verizon is just better.

I think we all can find something to gripe about with our carriers, as I have been lately, about the insurance carrier Asurion (on another thread). But Verizon will be great especially if you travel alot.
    Good luck and think of this thread as you work with the great CS people at Verizon.
    Curt
    PS I am NOT a verizon employee!!!!
    I love my Treo with Sprint service. Working with all four of the major carriers on a daily basis, I can honestly say that I wouldn't consciously switch to VZ. But if my company was paying for everything - and they weren't scrutinizing my personal use - I'd probably make the switch, especially if it was saving me nearly $200 per month.

From a personal/consumer level, though, I have no desire to switch and have nothing but good things to say about Sprint service. Contrary to what curtarmy said above, most of the issues with Treos have been with the GSM carriers - but that is because there are more GSM carriers than CDMA carriers. Everyone has their problems - including Verizon (see the multiple threads about people with $2000 bills for their first month of service)...You hear more problems about the Sprint Treo because it has been around longer than any of the others. Guaranteed you'll continue to hear about issues with all major carriers...

That said, I've not had a single issue with my Sprint service in regards to coverage or billing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianV
    What do you Verizon owners have for plans?
    Data plan: Pda/Smartphone Unlim - $44.99
    Voice plan: America's Choice 500 Anytime $49.99
    This includes unlimited in-calling and N&W starting at 9PM. My voice minutes were cut to less than half when I added the data plan and I may reduce it further since most of my employees and colleagues are also on VZW.

I was on Sprint for a few years and they do have far better prices and phone selections so you have my sympathies in that regard. On the brighter side, VZW has better customer service (although they are often arrogant about it) and coverage.

There is no perfect carrier - yet.
    You can "unlock" your current treo to work on Verizon. Unfortunately (having had both Sprint and Verizon) that is the only possitive input I have about making the switch. However, if I could be relieved of the bill there are very carriers that I wouldn't use
  9.    #9  
    I agree VZ has better coverage but I haven't had ANY problems with Sprint so the increased coverage of VZ doesn't have much value to me.

I agree VZ's customer service is more polite but at the same time it seems everytime I call them I get transferred to a different person for every question. For instance, the voice plan sales people don't know data plans and vice-versa. None of them know much about the Treo, etc. It seems the Sprint reps are more well-rounded.

Additionally, I don't know if my company will spring an extra $45 for my data usage as currently know one else uses a Treo except the VP who uses AT&T. Ideally, I'd like my company to just pay my Sprint bill like they pay the VP's AT&T. I think once they learn that the Treo plans aren't very affordable they'll let me do it, as the VP is trying to get all (important) employees using Treo's because they rock.

500 anytime minutes isn't enough for me, I need about 1200. Right now I have 2000 anytime, unlimited data, picture mail, etc for $100. I even have my g/f's phone on the add-a-phone plan for the same $100; I got in when it wasn't an extra $20 to add-a-phone. So if I have to pay the $45 myself and then my g/f has to pay $50 for a plan of her own then there's no real incentive.
    Brian,

I am probably switching to Sprint from VZW, mostly because my company is setting up a corporate Sprint account, and partly because that will give me access to the T650 sooner. Looks like the contract details will be ironed out this week.

I am currently using a Samsung i600 with Windows Mobile 2003. Unless you have your heart set on a Treo and/or the Palm OS, perhaps you would be interested in a trade?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesterink
    Brian,

I am probably switching to Sprint from VZW, mostly because my company is setting up a corporate Sprint account, and partly because that will give me access to the T650 sooner. Looks like the contract details will be ironed out this week.

I am currently using a Samsung i600 with Windows Mobile 2003. Unless you have your heart set on a Treo and/or the Palm OS, perhaps you would be interested in a trade?
    Unfortunately for you I do have my heart set on another Treo. Also, it looks like I am stuck going with VZW, I get $100 / month allowance and our company gets like a 10-15% discount off of plans. I hope I can just get a $55 voice plan and a $45 data plan but since I'll be the only one having a data plan they may think it's unnecessary, which it probably is but I'm a gadget guy.

I know there are plans where you can use your minutes as data, that would be ok too. THe $100 America's Choice plan has 2000 minutes; that'd be enough for my data and voice calls. Can America's Choice be used like that or do I have to get a separate plan?
    I can appreciate that, given that I have my heart set on a Treo as well . I will probably be better off financially anyway if I sell my i600 on eBay (about $350), given that I can get a new T600 for less than 350 as a new corporate account user, and Sprint committed to swap it for a 650 when it arrives (nice!).

Anyway..yes, you CAN use you minutes for data on America's Choice, only with Smartphones. You will have to ask a CS rep to add the EN/MOU feature (Express Network/Minutes Only Usage) to your account, which is free. Most of the times that happens automatically with smartphone accounts.

I agree that VZW's plans are not competitive compared to Sprint. But you WILL get very solid 1X coverage in return, at least that has been my experience. Too bad VZW is soooo slooooow with releasing up-to-date phones, and very annoying that they cripple features - such as Bluetooth file transfer - to generate more MMS & GIN revenue and to avoid tech support calls.
    the i600 has bluetooth???
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    the i600 has bluetooth???
    Uh...no it does not actually, my bad for making it sound that way. I was actually referring to the Moto V710, currently the only Bluetooth capable phone that VZW has to offer. But they crippled it so Bluetooth ONLY works for headsets, NOT for file transfer or modem use. It is quite likely they'll do the same for the T650.

The i600 does not have Bluetooth built-in. But the Windows Mobile 2003 OS does support Bluetooth profiles for headsets, so if some SD card manufacturer would release a Bluetooth SD card with drivers for WM2003, then it would become a possiblity......for Sprint users. Because VZW was already so proactive to remove the Bluetooth features from the OS in their version of the i600.