1.    #1  
    In hoping that the Verizon Treo 6** is EV-DO compatable.... No love for Beantown thought :-(

From Gizmodo.com

Verizon has announced that its EV-DO high-speed wireless network will be expanded from its current three city market on the 27th to include Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore, Kansas City (<3), LA, Miami, Milwaukee, New York (yay!), Philly, Tampa, and West Palm Beach. This is extremely good news... sort of.

EV-DO is super-fast - basically the best wireless high-speed option we have in the US at the moment - but Verizon currently only offers the service via a PCMCIA PC Card for laptops; not a single cell phone supports the network. That's somewhat understandable, as the best way to utilize the 300 - 500kbps download rate (more like 100 -150 in real world situations) of the EV-DO networks is to use a laptop, but what about smartphones (or people with laptops without PCMCIA)? It seems a shame that all that juicy bandwidth is out there for the subscribing to, but there isn't a practical way for many of us to use it (and if I'm going to pay $80 a month extra, then I certainly want to be able to use that bandwidth on every device I own).

Also, if it's anything like it is here in Manhattan, if you already have one of the EV-DO PCMCIA cards from Verizon, you might already be able to connect to the networks.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    GThe Treo 600 is NOT EV DO compatible device. Sorry!!!!
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzydiver
    GThe Treo 600 is NOT EV DO compatible device. Sorry!!!!
    No kidding? you don't say?

I know this, ever heard of something called the Treo 650? It is possable that it will be EV DO compatible.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I know Verizon support staff is likely from somewhere in India. but why would one of the "data group" people make a big deal about EV-DO when I was one the phone with a Treo problem?
  5. GIR
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    No kidding? you don't say?

I know this, ever heard of something called the Treo 650? It is possable that it will be EV DO compatible.
    Nope. Well, not according to the VZW data support engineer I spoke to earlier. I was on with them getting a replacement for my ailing T600 and figured I'd ask what VZW's plans were for the 650. His response was that the 600 was selling very well, and the only reason to roll out the 650 would be support for their new Broadband Access service. Currently the 650 doesn't include capability for the required chipset, so no VZW T650.
    Peter - "oh my god, its better then i tought, an audi, im getting a car!"
    Brian - "uh peter. theres a 't' there, that says audit"
    Peter - "no brian, its a foriegn car, the 't' is silent, SWEET, im getting an audi"
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I just got off the phjone with my biz rep. They are testing the 650 with the new chipset for the highspeed national roll out.

Earliest we will see the 650 is Summer 2005.

I hate waiting...
    Quote Originally Posted by JawsNJ
    They are testing the 650 with the new chipset for the highspeed national roll out.

Earliest we will see the 650 is Summer 2005.

I hate waiting...
    I believe this rumor and it is what I predicted.

VZW always comes out with older technology with a spin attractive enough to retain their business customers. Just like they came out with the Treo 600 -- late -- with a Wireless Sync product that rivals BB. By summer, SPCS and Cingular will be leaking their YE2005 plans for a Palm Smartphone with more memory, WiFi, and EVDO support.