Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, after an involuntary two week hiatus from Wireless Sync, I thought it might be amusing to show why *sometimes* it's good to not ask too many questions!

It started when I called up VZW Tech support and asked if there was any way that I could *disable* the pushing of any data OTHER than e-mail via WS. I was considering using Beyond Contacts for my Contacts, Calendar, Memo, and ToDo functionality and to use the VZW Mail application for e-mail. I wanted to know if there was a way that I could access the currently greyed out options on the WS website under SETUP --> PUSH. My concern was that if everything continued to be pushed, I would get nothing but duplicates. I thought, "Hey, maybe I, as a user, can't do it, but maybe they can." And so begins a big, very BIG.... uh oh....

The VZW level 2 tech that I was speaking with was pleasant and tried to answer my question. Eventually, she determined that there was a second server that you could be switched to that would finally enable this functionality. YES! This is what I needed. "Switch me please", I said. But she couldn't. She needed to escalate me to a level 3 tech. OooooK.

Level 3 VZW tech looks and says "Sounds new to me, but the Level 2 tech IS referencing some internal memo. But I have to call Intellisync to have them do this." So she calls Intellisync and gets voicemail. But she says they normally answer calls within 15 minutes.....

10 days later, after installing and uninstalling this thing about 20 times, my patience is wearing thin....

Then finally Intellisync gets into the picture. Here are the facts.

* There is NO magical second server with more functionality.
    * You CANNOT get access to the PUSH settings. According to the Intellisync rep, if enough people asked VZW to make this option available, maybe they would tell Intellisync to enable it. But as of now, NOPE. Why VZW wants these options made unavailable is beyond me.
    * Yes, there are two websites, www.wirelesssync.vzw.com and www2.wirelesssync.vzw.com but they are simply loadbalanced according to the Intellisync tech. There is no unique functionality in one versus the other.
    * Verizon techs have almost NO control to gets into the WS innards. Almost everything that represents an actual problem requires the intervention of Intellisync. Verizon techs can really only handle user problems. It's not their fault, it's not their application.
    * Intellisync staff ARE helpful, but getting to them can be a little difficult. Most calls eventually get returned on a next day basis from what I have seen.

In the end, Intellisync needed to reset my account, and, as has been posted elsewhere, instructed me on deleting both the PC Monitor software (which I had done), deleting the leftover folders and data after the uninstall (which I had done), deleting the registy entries (which I had NOT done) and uninstalling the app from the Treo (which I had done). The reset was the most important item.

So after two weeks (admittedly I was out of the country for 4 days, so it was BAD but not THAT bad) I am back to.... yep, you guess it.... exactly where I started!!

Why am I not more angry? Because it's a learning process with this stuff. I work in IT. I know it can be a mess.

I still have some outstanding questions. Hopefully the Intellisync rep answers them. If he does, I'll pass on the word. I told him about the forum here and I strongly urged him to monitor the group and maybe register under a dummy name and drop some helpful advice from time to time. He did look at the site when I mentioned that his name was already posted on here on another thread . That much I know for sure. Hopefully he does stop in and post.

So yeah, curiousity is a great thing..... but only sometimes.....
    Steve,
    Thanks for sharing all of that. You've prevented me from attempting to get more functionality by asking to be moved to the www2 server. I will put in my request for more WS options to be opened up to us.

None of the other email solutions mentioned on this forum and others seem to provide as much as WS without requiring me to get my IT org involved. Given the size of my company, adding support for wireless software will be like passing a congressional act.

The only option I have is a BB which is not a good one for me. I've been using Palm devices since 1997 and depend on tons of software which will never be available on a BB. Getting a BB would just mean carrying around multiple devices.

Again, thanks for saving me some time and aggravation!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Steve -

I just got set up on VZW's wireless sync today - to put things mildly, it has been a learning experience. I have three questions for you:

1) One thing that i have learned is that the PUSH functionality, which I would like to be on 24/7, and from viewing the greyed out PUSH section in Acct SET UP, it should be on. However, I have received 4 emails after 10pm this evening, none of which were PUSHed to my treo - my last PUSH email was at 9:47pm. This leads me to believe that I can only receive PUSH emails b/w 6am - 10pm EST, which means that I will have to SYNC constantly when I am on the left coast after 7PM PST. So should I contact Intellisync to see if they can enable 24/7 PUSH to my Treo?

2) As a seasoned BB user, I was overwhelmed by the additional funcionality offered by the Treo and switched. Another dissapointment is that I can't view SENT emails after they are SYNC'd out of the Outbox in the Intellisync mail client. Can I add a SENT mail folder (seems like the answer is NO as the Outbox needs to be deleted in order to sync the Sent email back to my Server (Outlook-Exchange) thru Wireless Sync) to the Mail Folders on the Intellisync Treo mail client?

3) Lastly, can sent emails be PUSHed out of the Treo utilizing Intellisync? It is a pain in the neck to have to SYNC everytime you want an email to be sent.

Thanks for your insight.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Steve,
    Thanks for sharing all of that. You've prevented me from attempting to get more functionality by asking to be moved to the www2 server. I will put in my request for more WS options to be opened up to us.
    Yeah, I doubt we will see results from this, but I am doing the same thing as you.

None of the other email solutions mentioned on this forum and others seem to provide as much as WS without requiring me to get my IT org involved. Given the size of my company, adding support for wireless software will be like passing a congressional act.
    You and me both and I actually work for the government!!! Ok, it's only the City, but still!!!!

The only option I have is a BB which is not a good one for me. I've been using Palm devices since 1997 and depend on tons of software which will never be available on a BB. Getting a BB would just mean carrying around multiple devices.

Again, thanks for saving me some time and aggravation!
    You're welcome! I agree with you as well. I have fought to keep things as simple as possible at work. I can have any cellphone I want (I run the wireless group), but it's simply been easier to use my own phone. Now I have to finally start carrying a Nextel, which I had for awhile and gave back (can't stand that DC feature; I swear they wait until you're in the bathroom to use it). Plus we're about to start pushing the BBs out. I'm gonna need a bandolier for all this stuff. All I want it my Treo. But nooooo........
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    Steve -

I just got set up on VZW's wireless sync today - to put things mildly, it has been a learning experience. I have three questions for you:

1) One thing that i have learned is that the PUSH functionality, which I would like to be on 24/7, and from viewing the greyed out PUSH section in Acct SET UP, it should be on. However, I have received 4 emails after 10pm this evening, none of which were PUSHed to my treo - my last PUSH email was at 9:47pm. This leads me to believe that I can only receive PUSH emails b/w 6am - 10pm EST, which means that I will have to SYNC constantly when I am on the left coast after 7PM PST. So should I contact Intellisync to see if they can enable 24/7 PUSH to my Treo?
    I won't lie to you, I'm not sure that anyone knows with certainty on any of this. You would think that it would be easy to get a straight answer that is accurate. But it's not. I would suggest called VZW tech support and asking them.

2) As a seasoned BB user, I was overwhelmed by the additional funcionality offered by the Treo and switched. Another dissapointment is that I can't view SENT emails after they are SYNC'd out of the Outbox in the Intellisync mail client. Can I add a SENT mail folder (seems like the answer is NO as the Outbox needs to be deleted in order to sync the Sent email back to my Server (Outlook-Exchange) thru Wireless Sync) to the Mail Folders on the Intellisync Treo mail client?
    The only way that I can think of that would do what you want is if you CC: yourself on every e-mail and make a separate folder that receives all of your CC: mail. That's the only way I can think of that will work the way you want.

3) Lastly, can sent emails be PUSHed out of the Treo utilizing Intellisync? It is a pain in the neck to have to SYNC everytime you want an email to be sent.

Thanks for your insight.
    Again, I'm not too sure. I think it is *supposed* to send immediately, but there's no consistency on when it sends. I may call Verizon myself on this one and see if I can get an answer.

Good luck.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    After reading your post a second time, I think my initial answer was wrong.... You are making reference to the settings on the website. But did you enable 24/7 push on the Treo?

Go to the Wireless Sync (WS) application; select SETUP --> Push/ReadSync. Under "Limit push/ReadySync Time Window", select either weekdays or weekends as you prefer. Then select the time period you wish it to work at. in this case, I would select 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM.

That SHOULD work, but hey, this stuff is anything BUT a science!
    Hi Steve,

It would be great if you could post the steps you took to cleanup your pc? I am in that situation now and it would save contacting Isync. Especially interested in the registry / files deleted. I have had the account reset several times but really need to do the clean install routine I think.

You are correct about the VZ techs, nice guys but not empowered in any way to really help fix things.

Thanks,

Rick
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC
    [/i]After reading your post a second time, I think my initial answer was wrong.... You are making reference to the settings on the website. But did you enable 24/7 push on the Treo?

Go to the Wireless Sync (WS) application; select SETUP --> Push/ReadSync. Under "Limit push/ReadySync Time Window", select either weekdays or weekends as you prefer. Then select the time period you wish it to work at. in this case, I would select 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM.

That SHOULD work, but hey, this stuff is anything BUT a science!
    Steve -

Thanks for getting back to me - I made the change that you suggested and it appears to work (I set it for 12am - 12am per the VZW faq's, but all is well so far).

I have also discovered random latency on PUSHed emails and I think this is a VZW server capacity issue for the following reasons:

1) VZW has a tool in the account set up where you can get a log of the VZW Wireless Sync server (Setup>Account>View Activity Log)

2) My Outlook is sending received messages instantly to the VZW Wireless Sync server - I have reviewed over 50 different emails in which this occured. VZW call this a "PC Monitor...Sync via:Client Push Sync"

3) The time b/w the PC Monitor Sync and the PUSH to my Treo ("Palm OS...Connection Type: Wireless (Network push)" varies from as much as 30 minutes to less than a minute.

4) It seems that the greatest Latency takes place b/w 9am - 5pm, although I have experienced PUSH's that have taken a minute or two during this time period

5) Outside of the 9am - 5pm window, most of the PUSH's are 2 minutes or less.

6) I spoke to VZW data tech support, and they said it was an issue with the signal strength on my handheld. Although I understand that the network must know that handheld is authorizing it for pushes, this didn't seem like it was the entire answer so...

7) I emailed Intellisync tech support, who verified that PUSH's are network generated by VZW and latency on the PUSH was a VZW network issue.

Thus, it appears that during high traffic periods, even if you have a strong signal, PUSH's may be delayed in arrival (not 1-2 minutes).

Even with this, I am still very happy with the product - it works as well as the BB, and the TREO functionality (web, attachment viewing, user functionality) and VZW coverage make this the winning solution in my view.

Also, I didn't know how to lookup CONTACTS without a stylus which is a key part of BB solution, but I figured it out:

1) Open the new email (doesn't matter if it's new, forward, or reply)
    2) Move the cursor to either the TO, CC or BCC line
    3) Hit the MENU button on the Treo keyboard and arrow down to LOOKUP - then hit the enter button.

Now I can add email addresses with much speed.
  9.    #9  
    ambtreo,

That was an AWESOME response. Thanks.

I have been trying to check the responsiveness of the push, but I am only recently getting my act together on it. I haven't really checked the WS logs thoroughly yet.

Like you, I have been seeing VERY quick response times after 5 PM EST. I was at work late last night and was getting e-mails that hit my desk and were transmitted to the Treo in ~50 seconds. So it can be very good. But it's not consistent.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by richstevens
    It would be great if you could post the steps you took to cleanup your pc? I am in that situation now and it would save contacting Isync. Especially interested in the registry / files deleted. I have had the account reset several times but really need to do the clean install routine I think.
    Here are the steps I took.

1] Uninstall the PC Monitor software from your desktop through the Control Panel.
    2] After it is finished uninstalling the application, go to c:\Program Files and delete the folder labeled Wireless Sync.
    3] Then go to c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data and delete the folder labeled SyncClient.
    4] Select RUN from the Start Menu and run REGEDIT.

BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU DELETE IN HERE!!

5] Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-->SOFTWARE and delete the key for SYNCHROLOGIC
    6] Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER-->SOFTWARE and delete the key for SYNCHROLOGIC (If it is there, it wasn't on mine).
    7] On your Treo, delete the two Wireless Sync apps. They are both labeled "Wireless Sync".

Then reinstall both PC Monitor on your PC and Wireless Sync on you Treo and you *should* be all set to go!

Good luck!
    excellent post. i have been working in this for months. i agree with treo vs. blackberry. i really hope vzw tightens up the network issues.
    Great posts. You've saved a lot of people a lot of time. My nearly 8 hour experience with VZW resulting in doing most of what you needed to do, Steve. If you don't do a clean install, you'll have problems. Unfortunately, it is not obvious when the install goes bad because often you'll see no error codes.

Also, I've noticed that their infrastructure is often the culprit and not the software on the Treo and/or the PC. Just waiting until the next day can be the difference between syncing and not syncing.
    After several weeks of the same hassle, we have decided to trash the Wireless sync product and implement the Good Technologies solution. It works like a champ the first time and hasn't missed a beat.
    Just as a note, for personal use, I did install for a trial the DataViz wireless inbox software. Worked perfect on first install! Negatives are it is limited to inbox only, no folders and no calendar or contacts. Also, the push to their server is timed at 15 minute interval.

But at least their software installed and worked on the first attempt.

As we speak, I followed the clean install steps from above but still waiting at the infamous account initialization screen forever......

If I could get a different product that did the same as this one I would swap in a heartbeat.

Rick
    My first initialization took forever. I just left it until it finished over night. It might have been the network though since the support guy thought so. Subsequent initializations took only a few minutes until I made a significant change: synchronizing the Lotus Notes addressbook. That took over 2 hours the first time. I turned that off since I didn't like the results.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by fultont
    After several weeks of the same hassle, we have decided to trash the Wireless sync product and implement the Good Technologies solution. It works like a champ the first time and hasn't missed a beat.
    Well, although I have never used Good, from everything I have read on it, I think I would switch to it in a moment if it were an option. I would be surprised that anyone who had the ability to choose between Good and Wireless Sync would choose WS. WS is a desktop option, which is almost always a weaker solution than a server based system. So I would expect that you will be very pleased with Good.

But I think that Wireless Sync, while imperfect, is still the only realistic option for most people that own a Treo. Few individuals have the ability to influence their IT departments to implement a solution like Good. So WS remains the next best option.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by richstevens
    Just as a note, for personal use, I did install for a trial the DataViz wireless inbox software. Worked perfect on first install! Negatives are it is limited to inbox only, no folders and no calendar or contacts. Also, the push to their server is timed at 15 minute interval.

But at least their software installed and worked on the first attempt.
    Sorry to hear that you are having so many problems with WS. I also was curious about the Inbox to Go Wireless from Dataviz. In fact, I called Dataviz and asked about whether or not they were looking at a more significant retooling of Beyond Contacts and Inbox to Go Wireless to allow for full wireless syncing ala WS. Unfortunately, the response I got was not promising. The rep I spoke with said it was something that they had discussed internally but that had not even done a rough sketch of what it would look like, but it had being discussed.

So WS looks like it's as good as it gets for now.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fultont
    Fultont -

I have spoken to Good, the problem is we have an organization with less than 5 users, and the minimum they are willing to accept for a license is $1,200 per annum (annual license fee). Compared to $0 for VZW Wireless Sync, the economics don't compare. With respect to the Good install, the PalmOne website doesn't indicate that Good supports VZW. Can you verify that all you had to do was install the Good server on a separate computer from your server, link the appropriate users via your Outlook Exchange configuration (or Lotus, etc...) and install the relevant Good email client to the hand held to start receiving emails to your VZW Treo's? Also, I would imagine that you did not install the VZW wireless sync as well.

If your Good installation is working as I described above, then I agree that would be an optimal solution to VZW as you would just be using VZW as the wireless conduit to transmit messages from your Good server. You also probably have full time IMAP functionality (ie. you can file and access all sub-folders and corresponding emails). In that case, congrats to you.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    ambtreo,

I have been trying to check the responsiveness of the push, but I am only recently getting my act together on it. I haven't really checked the WS logs thoroughly yet.

Like you, I have been seeing VERY quick response times after 5 PM EST. I was at work late last night and was getting e-mails that hit my desk and were transmitted to the Treo in ~50 seconds. So it can be very good. But it's not consistent.
    On the update front, I am pleased to report that all my emails this AM have PUSHed with 1 minute 30 sec's!

I can live with this vs. an all encompassing Good solution as I am really only looking for Inbox syncing. I delete what I don't need and I am set. Also, VZW syncs wireless Inbox, Contacts, Calendar, and Drafts, all for $0. The BB desktop client syncs nothing. The VZW WS solution is a great solution for any SOHO, like ours.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    ambtreo,

Steve -

If you keep you open the VZW WS user log and keep it minimized during the day, just pop up the window and refresh a couple minutes after you get your incoming emails. This is a good way to track first hand the timing of the PUSH's.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast