Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I accidently exposed my Treo 600 to some H2O, and predictably it stop functioning. I call insurance to place a report for a replacement and they inform me that my insurance will be terminated after this claim (being my 2nd in a 12month period) and I will not be able to sign back up for the NEXT 12 months! I am glad my car insurance doesnt adopt this policy! Anyone else ran into this problem?
    I am glad my car insurance doesnt adopt this policy!
    Mine does... After two claims in one year, Farmer's told me to take a hike. (They did wait until the contract was expired, though).
    says that right in Locklines policy. Maybe you should have read it.
    Last edited by Woof; 09/20/2004 at 01:00 PM.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    accidently exposed my Treo 600 to some H2O
    Translation - "I dropped it in the toilet."

I always admire the many different ways people describe dropping their phones in the toilet...

Sorry to hear that lock/line is dropping your policy, but it is in the TOS. Feel lucky that your Treo was covered at all - it isn't with other carriers.
    Last edited by Indicator; 09/20/2004 at 04:45 PM.
    Two replacement Treos .. sounds like a pretty useful policy to me.

Scott
    Another consumer might say: "I'm glad they dropped you. I'm tired of paying for your broken phones."
    The title to this thread is misleading at best. They served up two refurbished Treos-how is that useless? Have you calculated what your costs would have been had you not had insurance? What is the difference in the amount? I'd consider myself lucky, personally.

What car insurance company would keep a driver who was in two accidents in one year for which they were at fault?
    Your homeowners insurance would drop you too.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I have not had any problems. But I am very happy to pay $4.00 per month. In the event of an accident the alternative would give me a major headache.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    you get 2 phones a year..it's explicitly stated in the policy..good thing you had it when you had accidents.
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
    Time to stop playing Solitaire while doing your "business"?
  12. kks
    This is not that big of a deal. Nearly the same thing happened to me. I lost my insurance and then I was thrown in my pool with my phone in my pocket. You are still covered by Sprint for parts/etc. because it is a replacement phone. I let the phone dry out and then I took it in and told them the screen wouldnt turn on and the battery wouldn't hold a charge. They replaced it there free of charge with a brand new one, NOT a reconditioned phone. It actually worked better for me then when I had insurance. BTW: You can check your insurance policies with your homeowner's insurance company, many times they can or already do cover these things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vipermad
    Time to stop playing Solitaire while doing your "business"?
    OOH! Busted!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kks
    TI lost my insurance and then I was thrown in my pool with my phone in my pocket. You are still covered by Sprint for parts/etc. because it is a replacement phone. I let the phone dry out and then I took it in and told them the screen wouldnt turn on and the battery wouldn't hold a charge. They replaced it there free of charge with a brand new one, NOT a reconditioned phone.
    In the insurance industry this is called "fraud" and is illegal. Now I realize that you didn't throw yourself in the pool, but the phone didn't fail of its own accord. It was, more or less, damage caused by the user or circumstances that the user put him/herself in. Most phones have a means of notifying the service tech if it was submerged in water. Even the cheap phones. My guess is that they didn't bother checking on that before giving you a new one. So you got lucky. Not everyone will be as fortunate, which is why lock/line is a good deal.

That said, folks who milk the system - as you did - make devices and insurance costs go up for the rest of us.
    and we wonder why our insurance rates keep going up
  16. kks
    Yeah, but how many of you have returned your phones because the screen had a spot on it, or the keys were hard to push. Mine would have been covered under insurance had I not been given two defective phones, that Sprint gave me the run around on, forcing me to. All I was trying to advocate was the benefit of the Insurance and Replacement plan, and that parts are then covered by Sprint. If they didn't test the phone for water and were supposed to; not my problem. I own 3 Treo 600's on different phone numbers. I feel I have made my contribution to Palm1/Handspring and certainly in what I pay to Sprint. Your insurance rates go up because there are many people who I've heard replace their phones for cosmetic reasons, they want a new one, they plan to sell, etc. My deal with Sprint covered parts, mine screen wouldn't turn on and the battery no longer held a charge. I hope you never run into the same issues with any of your phones.
    While I'm sorry to hear that you were given two defective phones, not even owning 3 devices jusitifies fraud. Period. You can make proclamations and justifications to placate your own mind, but it is still fraud.
    I admit it has been a while since I have read the Lockline TOS.... I knew that you could only file 2 claims within a 12 month period.... but I thought that you could sign back up within 12 months of your FIRST replacement, not your second. I guess I am wrong?
  19.    #19  
    The insurance industry hardly gets any sympathy from me, considering how they rip us consumers off on a regular basis. I must say I overlooked the policy, but it still doesnt justify how useless it is to drop the insurance, especially when you have people on 1 and 2 year contracts. Can you honestly tell me it takes $400-$600 to send the insured customer a REFURBISHED Treo 600, when most of those refurbished phones took lest than the cost to refurbish cosmetic damages? Those phones were already paid for in most cases. So cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it! That is what insurance is for! How many people would have to put in claims ($35 deductible covers the shipping) within a 2 year period at $4 per month for that company to lose profitability?
    I would think the state of FLA has cost the insurance companies any profits they may see for a while !

So, a new or refurb phone cost you $83 for your own stupidity, I hear no sympathy here for you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast