1.    #1  
    Hey Everyone-

I just picked up a Treo on the advice of a coworker who uses it to stay online when he is out of the office.

I am using VeriChat for IM and SnapperMail for e-mail, both programs work flawlessly.

The problem I have is when I am logged into VeriChat my phone rings as busy. I was hoping this would be an 'always on' data connection and my phone would cut off the data if it rang. I have NO problem being dropped from IM if my phone rings so I can get the call.

Is there anyway to setup my phone to drop the data connection if the phone rings, or did I just spend $300 too much on a phone hoping it would do things it cant?

Please advise.
    CDMA phones (Sprint, Verizon) send voice calls straight to voicemail when actively using data (little green arrows). GSM phones (AT&T, TMobile, Cingular) will interrupt the data stream and let the voice call go through.

I haven't heard of a way to change the behavior of the CDMA phones to make it do what you want it to do...
  3.    #3  
    So i'm pretty much SOL huh? Does the Treo 600 support both GSM and CDMA? Is it possible to take a Sprint Treo 600 and switch it to AT&T/Cingular/TMobile?

Please say yes?
    again, the gsm treo 600 doesn't interrupt the data stream to let a call come through. it simply let's go of the data connection much faster than the cdma version. if you're streaming shoutcast music on ptunes with a gsm, your calls will go to voice mail just like the cdma. however, the cdma arrows stay green about 10 seconds after any data transfer, blocking calls whereas the gsm drops it immediately, which lets calls sneak in a bit better. in verichat, in particular, if you're having a solid conversation of quick responses every 5 seconds, it will be a continuous green arrow affair for the cdma, whereas the gsm will be open for those couple seconds between responses.

something you might want to consider is getting the $5 unlimited sms and using the sms always on option in verichat. that should alleviate your problem when you're logged in to verichat but out of the program.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Loudpocket is correct, GSM does not "interrupt the data stream to let a call come through".
    we'll probably all have to wait until the next generation Treo (or maybe the one after that) is out which will hopefully take advantage of network changes to prevent this. (EV-DO and UMTS)

Regardless, your phone should never "ring as busy" when someone calls while you're transferring data. The call should just go straight to VM. Is that what you meant?
  6.    #6  
    I already have the unlimited SMS for my Sprint plan, no problem there.

It does not ring as busy, it goes straight to VM, sorry for that.

How can I setup VeriChat to use SMS? Will it ALWAYS use SMS or revert back to data when I am in the application chatting?

I think I read somewhere that the first message that comes through is SMS but the rest are data....
  7.    #7  
    I know that I can receive phone calls and get SMS at the same time, as my phone gets alerts for my work ( server monitoring services that we run that send pages out when a server goes down ) and I can get them while I am on the phone.

If there is a way to make VeriChat use 100% SMS ONLY that would be awesome.
    Actually...I can go between Verichat and SMS at the same time. Phone alerts me when messages come in from either source.

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    The way to change it is in the preferences, go into the "always on" preferences. Then you'll have one of two options, either "use data connection for always-on" and "use sms for always on". When you use SMS, you'll have to provide your phone's messaging address (phone#@messaging.sprintpcs.com) and then when you're out of the app, it will alert you to new IM's via a text msg instead of firing up your data connection to alert you. Essentially the way Verichat works is that you connect to a proxy which connects to your messaging servers for you and keeps the connect alive between it (the proxy) and the IM servers. So when you use SMS for always-on, it disconnects verichat from the proxy but the proxy stays connected to the IM servers. Verichat tells the proxy "keep me online and page me when I get a msg, ok?". You then receive an IM, the verichat proxy sends a text msg to your phone, you go to reply to it and then verichat re-connects to the proxy to send the IM back through the chain. Does that make sense?
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cryogenic
    The way to change it is in the preferences, go into the "always on" preferences. Then you'll have one of two options, either "use data connection for always-on" and "use sms for always on". When you use SMS, you'll have to provide your phone's messaging address (phone#@messaging.sprintpcs.com) and then when you're out of the app, it will alert you to new IM's via a text msg instead of firing up your data connection to alert you. Essentially the way Verichat works is that you connect to a proxy which connects to your messaging servers for you and keeps the connect alive between it (the proxy) and the IM servers. So when you use SMS for always-on, it disconnects verichat from the proxy but the proxy stays connected to the IM servers. Verichat tells the proxy "keep me online and page me when I get a msg, ok?". You then receive an IM, the verichat proxy sends a text msg to your phone, you go to reply to it and then verichat re-connects to the proxy to send the IM back through the chain. Does that make sense?
    Dear cryogenic,
    When you say it sends a text message to my phone, do you mean it sends through the built-in SMS application? If it does, do I need to check my SMS for the message? Because if you look in the manual (see attachment below), in standby mode, a pop-up appears (the one in the middle), and it doesn't look like the built-in SMS program. So my question is, does it really use the built-in SMS to send the message or it fires up our data connection to alert us?
    Attached Images Attached Images