1.    #1  
    Hi all, I just got my Treo 600 today and got it activated on my VZW account. I have a question about accessing the internet with it. I have MOU on my account so I should be able to access the 1X data network using my mins. To do this I can just go in to PREFS and turn on the data when I want and disconnect when I'm done? Using this method will I get in to trouble with the data chatter that I've been reading about.

Thanks, Mike
    You can manually disconnect through Blazer, too, but that works. BatteryDr ($5) will automatically disconnect you when your Treo powers off, if you forget. I figure it's cheap insurance as I'm bound to forget sooner or later
    Be careful using that MOU on your account with VZW. There is a possibility that you will occur data charges on your bill. If you are not paying the unlimited PDA Smart phone plan for 44.99 on your account it will eventually become an issue.
    Get Battery Doctor and Treo Helper. These programs ensure the data connection is closed (unless you use Chatter which is another story).
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies! I'll try those programs. I also see on PalmGear.com Treo Connection Manager. Is this any good or are the ones suggested better? I don't plan to access the internet alot with the treo maybe a few mins a month to look up a few numbers from superpages.com. If I find my self using it heavy I'll add Unlimited Data to my plan. I have no need to check my e-mail on the go...

Thanks again, Mike
    I know there are tons of posts about the unlimited data plan versus MOU on VZW's network but I can't seem to find one common answer. In general, if I go to a MOU plan, will the data transfer be slower than with an unlimited data plan?

Thanks.
    No, it will be the same speed.
    I'm not sure why all these people get these ridiculous bills. I had a sprint treo on my verizon account for 3-4 months and never got a bad bill. All it takes is common sense to disconnect the net every time your done with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin3
    I'm not sure why all these people get these ridiculous bills. I had a sprint treo on my verizon account for 3-4 months and never got a bad bill. All it takes is common sense to disconnect the net every time your done with it.
    I can't say for sure since I don't have one but I think people have tried that and it STILL talks on the network.
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin3
    All it takes is common sense to disconnect the net every time your done with it.
    ... And some common sense to check your minutes through the month. If your "Peak" minutes are skyrocketing and you KNOW that you haven't talked a whole lot, then a light bulb should be going off above your head.

I'm going to order my Treo here in about a month. I used to work for VZW CS and I'm so scared to add the "Unlimited Data" plan just because I'm skeptical to see if it'll actually be added. I will most-likely call and check about 4 times to MAKE SURE that it's there. Even then, I will check my minutes through the month to make sure my Treo usage is being deducted from the data plan and not eating my daytime minutes. It's a little extreme, I know, but it's better than getting a 900 dollar cell phone bill.

After a couple months, I'll be able to relax

Billy G.