1.    #1  
    Okay, I just had a near-miss with what could have been the biggest cell phone bill of my entire life: let my mistake be your guide.

About 4 weeks ago, I ordered a Treo 600 from Verizon. Because I was porting a number from a different area code (don't ask), I was unable to place the order on the web, and instead had to call Verizon's telephone sales group to complete the order and get my phone.

When talking with the salesdroid, we reviewed the data plans, and I asked for the unlimited data plan. Hey, work's paying.

Yesterday, more out of curiosity than anything else, I logged into verizonwireless.com's customer portal to review my account, and had the shock of my life:

Peak Minutes: 1,894
    Off Peak Minutes: 2,310
    Weekend Minutes: 1,584
    IN-Network Calling Peak: 16
    IN-Network Calling Off Peak: 7
    One very panicked phone call to Verizon's customer support group later, I am told that apparently there is a known problem with the telesales group not being able to activate unlimited data on plans that they sell!

Luckily, the CS person I spoke to was very reasonable about it, and agreed to waive the charges and put my account onto the correct data plan.

The moral of this story: always review your service contract!
  2.    #2  
    Well, perhaps I spoke too soon. 11 days later, and the 5000 minutes are still on my account, I am staring down a bill for $500, and the VZW CS person I spoke to has not returned any of my (multiple) calls.

Given that multiple other people on this board appear to be having exactly the same problem, perhaps the actual moral of this story is: beware of Verizon. For this they took a year to qualify the Treo?
    The level of competence of Verizon's customer service (specifically billing) seems extremely suspect from my recent dealings with them (same issue going on two months now).
    LOL Sorry to laugh guys, but I am always hearing how crappy Sprint cs is and how f''ed billing is and I have never in 8 years had these kinds of problems. I feel for you.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  5.    #5  
    Ugh. Back from a 2 week vacation, during which I was assured by my most recent CS guy that the problem would be cleared up. Ha ha ha: still $500 due on my current statement.

I'm going to rip the next person I talk to sideways, not that it's going to help. Anyone happen to know which regulatory body in New York State one talks to about such things?
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_memory
    Ugh. Back from a 2 week vacation, during which I was assured by my most recent CS guy that the problem would be cleared up. Ha ha ha: still $500 due on my current statement.

I'm going to rip the next person I talk to sideways, not that it's going to help. Anyone happen to know which regulatory body in New York State one talks to about such things?
    Ask to speak with a supervisor, or better yet, go into a Verizon store in your area. Talk with someone in person, get their name, and hold them accountable for taking care of this mess. Get their manager's name, and if they can't take care of you right there and then, find out when they will and come back to talk with them again. I personally would give up dealing with this over the phone. It's hard to hold someone accountable when they won't return your phone calls and leave you in voicemail prison. It's difficult for them to do that to you when you're in their store staring at them. If it were me I'd go into the store, wait for them to make the changes and corrections, and have them show me on their screen that I have the proper codes (find that out here or hofo's first.) I'd request to see the paperwork or general guidelines they have for making the monetary adjustment to my account. Be nice, but be firm.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Talk to the supervisor on the phone, and tell them that if they don't resolve this, you are going to report them to the NY State District Attorney. That will get their attention.