1.    #1  
    I have used a Kyocera 6035 on verizon for 3 years, and have been happy, but wanted thumb typing, and my time matters data base will only sync with palm

So yesterday I upgraded to a trio 600. But I get a different answer about email everytime I ask. Could someone help on the following
    1. when I push the envelope button, I get what looks like email, and when I do a contacts lookup, I can see the email addresses in my contacts. However, verizon says that is not email, it is sms, and is .10 a message.

2. when I go to the palm main screen and go to the web, there is an email program there called mail2pda. but when I try to use, it does not interact with my contacts, and the verizon technical rep on the phone said that (a) the verizon phone doesn't supprt interaction with the contacts, and that I have to cut and paste an email address in, and (b) that they do not support any other email programs, so that he could not tell me whether any program worked as email and interacted with the email addresses in the contact database.

I have national one rate and unlimited data service, but they are saying that the email button is really something that costs 10 cents a message, and if I wanted to send a picture, it will cost .25 cents. My bill is already over $300 a month with the one rate and unlimted data, so this seems crazy. If it was this bad, no one would buy the phone, so what gives.

BaliHai in Dallas
    1. Yes, default for the "envelope" icon is SMS, and the alternate is MMS. You can download a real email program like Eudora or Snapper and reset that button to launch it instead, though. SMS is 2 cents to recieve and 10 cents to send. MMS is more expensive- $.25 and $.40 I believe (haven't ever used MMS.) When you reply to an email address from the SMS menu (as opposed to a cell phone #), MMS is apparently used as the message transport protocol, but appears to only be charged like an SMS message, at $.10 a pop.

2. The Treo doesn't come with an email program for some unimagionable reason! But it's easy enough to get one You can get something with IMAP too, like Chatter, for push mail.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you, and I take it Chatter, or some other palm based email account will access the contacts database that I have synced, like the Kyocera would do?

I use groupwise at the office, running on a Novell based network. With the kyocera and eudora, I have simply forwarded email to an interim pop3 account in the past, and harvested with eudora. But will something push groupwise directly? My IT people say that there is one primary program for push, but it only runs on a windows based network, not a novell based network.
    Email will work with sms and verison. I trouble shot it yesterday and I was able to send and receive email. Before I tell you how, VZW uses text billing for email when you are not sending pics. Get a plan with text messaging and you will be ok for cost.
    You can access both email and text messages from contacts when you access them through sms. Then you can use sms to send them, but first set the sms as the default program for both in preferences for program defaults. To send a text message just simply access the number and type. Email is a bit different. To receive email with VZW you need to hà2
    Email will work with sms and verison. I trouble shot it yesterday and I was able to send and receive email. Before I tell you how, VZW uses text billing for email when you are not sending pics. Get a plan with text messaging and you will be ok for cost.
    You can access both email and text messages numbers from contacts through sms and use sms to send them. First set the sms as the default program for both in preferences for program defaults. To send a text message just simply access the number and type. Email is a bit different...you can only recieve and send a few lines. I am checking out other options.
    Last edited by revhoban; 09/08/2004 at 01:08 AM.
    Sorry if this is not the right thread for this question... When I'm using the messaging application and want to send a text message (SMS or MMS) to an email address, and I start typing the name of one of my contacts, it will only list phone numbers, and not email addresses I know are stored in my contacts. Actually, I noticed that one contact that happens to have an email address in a phone number field actually does show up, but I don't want to have to re-do all my contacts' fields. Being able to include email addresses in a text is helpful when sending something like a photo to many different people when some people have only an email address and not a cell phone number in my contacts. Any way to get the email address listed as an option in the "To" field of a SMS/MMS message? Thanks....
    Quote Originally Posted by jplawdog View Post
    Sorry if this is not the right thread for this question... When I'm using the messaging application and want to send a text message (SMS or MMS) to an email address, and I start typing the name of one of my contacts, it will only list phone numbers, and not email addresses I know are stored in my contacts. Actually, I noticed that one contact that happens to have an email address in a phone number field actually does show up, but I don't want to have to re-do all my contacts' fields. Being able to include email addresses in a text is helpful when sending something like a photo to many different people when some people have only an email address and not a cell phone number in my contacts. Any way to get the email address listed as an option in the "To" field of a SMS/MMS message? Thanks....
    You realize you posted this question in a six year old thread???? No one even knows what kind of phone you have? I suggest that you post the question in an application tread for the proper phone or operating system.

And you would be better off sending an email to a text. I don't think you can send a sms to an email.