Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so get this, I get my bill and it was something out of those new T-Mobile Commercials - I get my e-mail notice from Verizon and I click on the hyperlink to look at my bill...first thing I see...

$950 !!!

I threw up on my laptop and after cleaning it off, I looked deeper into the minutes used and, apparently, they have me down the I used 20,000 minutes this month...that's twenty thousand...I am no rocket scientist (I know we have a few reading these forums), but are there even 20,000 minutes in a month (yes, I know there are, but please...).

So a little more digging finds out that "apparently" I surfed everyday on my new treo, for a minimum of 100 minutes...including a nice whopping 640 minute surf that started at 4:30 AM - in the mean time, I started making calls around 7 AM...so my no Sh** Sherlock mind started turning and I realized that one can't surf and talk at the same time on this wonderful device.

Next thing I do is call Verizon...hold on for 9 minutes...I'm patient because I can't wait to hear this one...the nice customer service rep told me that I don't have an unlimited plan (not true, I know for a fact that I added that service when I ordered the phone), then I explained that I cannot make a data call and a phone call at the same time. She was quick and told me that, "these Treo phones do a lot of Network serching, so you will see long data calls on your bill." I responded, "really...hmmm...that's real interesting...I do a lot of soul searching and I really can't charge my friends for this service, but believe me, you'll love the stuff I can think of in a good long soul search, how about I bill you guys during those times and re-coup my minutes in an even trade ?" She didn't go for it, but she did tell me that if I had unlimited data minutes, I wouldn't have been billed. Great, we're back to square one and I am talking to one of the Greatest Thinkers in the Western Hemisphere...

I assured my little Nietzsche that I was unaware of this Phantom Menace Data Call Syndrome and assured her, I never saw one of these Phantom calls, but she assured me that they do indeed happen and I wouldn't see them. I check raised her (poker term and I wasn't bluffing) that I know my Radio was off on some of these certain nights and days because I shut the radio off at work and most nights...so how can this happen...she re-raised me (more poker) and said..."it just does."

Ok, she outplayed me and holds all the cards..."What about my bill?"

"Ok, we'll put you on the unlimited data plan and I will give you a credit."

Ok, well, no arguement from me and she told me to check my bill in 72 hours for the credit...this is going to be the longest 72 hours of my life...eh..probably not considering that I waited since October for Verizon to finish their "testing."

Anyway, just sharing my day, my head didn't explode like in the Movie Scanners, but I did want to know if anyone experienced the same issue that I went through on Verizon on this beutiful Monday ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePimpDaddy
    my little Nietzsche
    There's your problem right there -- Nietzsche was bonkers.

I'm happy to hear that your situation worked out (or is working out).
    oh wow man...and thats USD...well im glad to see that you are getting a credit

how much credit you getting?
  4.    #4  
    My little Nietzsche couldn't share with me yet what my credit will be...I will stand nothing less than full Datacall credit.
  5.    #5  
    Damn I always get Nietzsche and Van Gohg confused...WAIT...he went bonkers too !!!

DAMMIT !!!
    I would be concerned for another reason. If your Treo is establishing these long data sessions, that means that you are not able to get incoming calls! To me that would be a huge negative. That makes for a lot of missed calls! (I know that it is possible to initiate a call and have a data connecction active at the same time.)
  7.    #7  
    Jeff...you're right...I mean...EUREKA !!!

I've been getting a hell of a lot of missed calls during this month and I get the Voicemail notification pretty instantly after someone calls. Only problem is, Treo doesn't say "drop the data call to make a phone call" when I do call in for my voicemail - usually it would display that message.

But, I think we're onto something here...hmmm...Verizon, can you hear me now !?!?!?
    you're taking your anger out on the a CSR who had nothing to do with the errors on your plan.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

- Friedrich Nietzsche, presumably after talking to Verizon customer service.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    you're taking your anger out on the a CSR who had nothing to do with the errors on your plan.
    You're right, but I don't like it when people make stuff up (maybe in this case, my little sunshine was given this info and shame on the person who gave it to her).

I just don't understand that if my Treo is making "Phantom" data calls, why doesn't the Orange Light ever come on during this time or how can they claim I am making a call when my radio is off ?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tangible
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

- Friedrich Nietzsche, presumably after talking to Verizon customer service.
    I laughed so hard that my side hurts...good one !!!
    or as Jim Lahey from Trailer Park Boys said "He who stares into the abyss realises that there's nothing staring back at him - the Abyss - the $hit abyss"
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    Jeff...you're right...I mean...EUREKA !!!

I've been getting a hell of a lot of missed calls during this month and I get the Voicemail notification pretty instantly after someone calls. Only problem is, Treo doesn't say "drop the data call to make a phone call" when I do call in for my voicemail - usually it would display that message.

But, I think we're onto something here...hmmm...Verizon, can you hear me now !?!?!?
    Here is a data point for you. I am a Sprint customer and to my knowledge, my phone does not initiate a data connection by itself. The only time a data connection is made is when I have told it to make one. The only exceptions to this statement is with my 2 email programs (the standard Palm Email and Sprint Business Connection). The standard utility is a polling program that will initiate a connection every x minutes/hours. The BC program is from SEVEN and I have it configured for push. So a connection will get established at will based on a remote server. Other than those 2 software programs, my treo is silent on the data network. There is a configuration in Preferences for control of the data network (at least on my SPCS phone).

Preferences->Network Then hit the menu key and scroll to Options->Preferences. Here I have the option to control these behaviors:

- Connect to the data network whenever wireless mode is powered on
    - Ask before connecting to the Internet

Don't know if Verizon offers these options or if you have tried them already. But if not, they may be a place for you to help control your carriers data behavior.

Jeff
  14.    #14  
    Thanks Jeff, but Verizon Phones have this preference locked...I also have set my Snapper Mail to get e-mail only when I request it...
    Here's a quick solution for your problem! DROP VERIZON!

But seriously though, Sprints unlimited vision plans a cheaper and I've never had any 'automatic data connection' problems that many Verizon users have reported. If Sprint's coverage is decent where you live, I think you might wanna consider switching...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Thanks Jeff, but Verizon Phones have this preference locked...I also have set my Snapper Mail to get e-mail only when I request it...
    Boy that sucks!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Here's a quick solution for your problem! DROP VERIZON!

But seriously though, Sprints unlimited vision plans a cheaper and I've never had any 'automatic data connection' problems that many Verizon users have reported. If Sprint's coverage is decent where you live, I think you might wanna consider switching...
    Problem is - I travel too much with my job and I never trusted signal strength to any other carrier besides Verizon...
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Boy that sucks!
    You ain't kidding !!!
    Problem is - I travel too much with my job and I never trusted signal strength to any other carrier besides Verizon...
    You know that Sprint and Verizon share the majority of their networks now. They are the last 2 major CDMA vendors. I too travel extensively and have found the Sprint service equal if not better than the Verizon service. I switched from Verizon to Sprint back in March just to get the Treo. I was a Verizon customer for 12 years and had the same thoughts as you. I have been converted in the last few months.

That's my $.02.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    You know that Sprint and Verizon share the majority of their networks now. They are the last 2 major CDMA vendors. I too travel extensively and have found the Sprint service equal if not better than the Verizon service. I switched from Verizon to Sprint back in March just to get the Treo. I was a Verizon customer for 12 years and had the same thoughts as you. I have been converted in the last few months.

That's my $.02.
    I know I should have (there were rumors of Verizon & Sprint merging too) - especially since I was without a Treo for so long...let's see how VZN handles the Ace...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast