1.    #1  
    I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I'm going to France in a week for a business conference and I need some sort of phone; is there anything (web, SMS, IM, phone) that will function on my Treo 600???

I'm going to speculate that the answer is "no," but an experienced answer will be appreciated!!!!
    Like you said you already know the answer

Sprint supports three ways to use service internationnaly. Unfortunately none of them work with the Treo:

GSM:
    Global System for Mobile Communications. Provides roaming throughout most of Europe and parts of Asia, Africa, Australia and the Middle East. This type of roaming requires a Sprint-provided international GSM phone, SIM Card, and PIN. Features are limited to making and receiving calls.

WCDMA:
    Provides roaming in Japan. This type of roaming requires an international WCDMA phone. A SIM Card is required. Features are limited to making and receiving calls.

Sprint PCS:
    International roaming can be accomplished with a Sprint PCS Phone with and without a PIN. North America coverage is available in the United States, Canada, Mexico and U.S. area of Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Additional coverage is available in several islands of the Caribbean, Central and South America, and areas of Asia. A dual-band, digital dual-band, or dual-band/tri-mode Sprint PCS Phone is required. Features include making and receiving calls and access to voicemail.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I'm going to Germany in a couple of weeks. Does this mean that I will not be able to make calls from my Treo 600? I understood it was a quad band -- meaning that it had international coverage.

I recently gave up my Motorola 400 (which I was able to use when in Europe).

If it is workable in Europe -- are there any settings I need to change -- or will it automatically pick up whatever local network is available?

BTW -- I have Cingular.
    As mentioned above, only a few countries use CDMA. If you have a GSM Treo 600, you should be able to roam in Germany. If your phone is unlocked, you can purchase a sim and realize substantial savings.

I'm on my way to Hong Kong so I got an AT&T Treo 600 (30 day trial). I could unlock it using procedures published on mytreo.net and pop in a cheap locally purchased sim. I probably won't do that and just limit my phone usage @ $2.29/minute AT&T roaming rates. The phone goes back before the 30 days is up.

You might want to consider that option if you don't already have a GSM phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGirl
    I'm going to Germany in a couple of weeks. Does this mean that I will not be able to make calls from my Treo 600?
    No, this doesn't mean that at all. We're talking about Sprint here. GSM is completely different and used way more in Asia/Europe.