Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I've used Tmobile for voice through work for the past few months and have found the voice
    coverage, where I travel, is comparable to my Verizon service. So I thought I would try the data
    service for the Treo600. I've had it for a couple of days and have 14 total days to return it
    if I want to. I may try Verizon for 15 days also before making a final decision.

I plan on using the data alot. Browsing, IM, Outlook email behind firewall, POP3 account,
    streaming music. So far on Tmobile the email and IM has been ok. The Browsing is a little slow
    and the streaming music buffers alot, even with low bandwidth Treobit's links.

I've run the speed tests and find I get about 39kbps. I've read that VZ/Sprint users tend to get around
    100Kbps.

They way I see it here are the pros/cons;

VZ Pro: Faster Data speeds, Wireless Sync, Good network in Northeast, $100 NE2 discount.

VZ Con: No internation use-CDMA, Unlimited Data plan PRICE!!

Tmo Pro: Unlimited Data plan price!, International use.

Tmo Con: Slower Data speed, Wireless syn software at additional cost.

So I guess the questions are this to those who've used a GSM based data service before and are now on Verizon:

-Did you notice a major differnece in download speeds?
    -Do you still get bufferring streaming Shoutcast ?
    -How's the wireless sync compare to the other options.
    (The only one I've found for an individual is Inbox togo wireless)
    -Would you do it again?
    -Is the unlimited data worth the price? If that's the only decision point.

THANKS.
    I have both a CIngular GSM Treo that I use when I travel to Europe and a Verizon Treo that I use when I am in the U.S. I forward my Verizon calls to the Cingular Treo when I need GSM.

Here is my balanced take on the two services:

Signal - GSM does not cut it for me in the U.S. I have tried T-Mobile, ATT and Cingular. The GSM networks are just not as robust Verizon's CDMA service. I find that that my ability to conduct an uniterrupted GSM call while traveling in my car in the Boston area is impossible - I always lose the signal at some point. On the other hand, in Europe the GSM Treo works like a charm on the great GSM networks there. It shows the true potential of a ubiquitous standard in a given area. The US, in my opinion, made a mistake by not dictating the celluar standard. When I am in Europe, people think I am calling from "down the street." When I use a GSM phone to call from NYC, people think I am on Mars. (OK, enough of my soap box).

Battery Life- The CDMA Treos do not hold a candle to the GSM phones. I assume this is because GSM requires less power, but for whatever reason, I can leave my GSM phone on for a week of standby, while my Verizon Treo gets maybe a day. And when you enter data into the equation, you really see how much better the GSM Treo is at battery life. Using VZ Wireless sync, I barely get a work day out of the battery.

Data - VZ is more than twice as fast as the GPRS services from the GSM carriers. It is not only the data speed (80k vs. 40k on average), but the latency as well. The GPRS networks makes web browsing painful; VZ makes it tolerable. There is one very big rub - on the GSM network, if you are using data and a call comes in, your phone rings and the data session is interrupted. On VZ and SPrint's CDMA network, your calls go into VM. This is particularly annoying when you use a wireless datasync product. Often times, I will look at my VZ phone and see I have a voicemail. This truly is a negative for me. Pricewise, VZ is $50 for unlimited data; Cingular was $20 (they may have changed since I signed up.) VZ's free wireless sync product is by far the very best wireless email program I have used. It is the only non-server based product that not only pushes email, but also syncs my calendar and contacts. I love it. I used almost all of the third party software on my GSM treo and they all only sync email.

Voice Quality - When the signal is strong, about the same.

So, on balance, if the US GSM carriers ever get their networks on par with Verizon's, it is a no brainer to use the GSM phone (particularly, if you travel to GSM countries). Until then, it is a difficult choice which depends on how good the GSM network is in your area and whether and where you travel.
    Last edited by ihparker; 08/19/2004 at 09:55 AM.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ihparker
    ...There is one very big rub - on the GSM network, if you are using data and a call comes in, your phone rings and the data session is interrupted. On VZ and SPrint's CDMA network, your calls go into VM.
    This is incorrect, the data session is not "interrupted" with GSM. It goes straight to VM just like it does with CDMA.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Can we clarify this....Using my GSM Treo I am always connected for data..always using Verichat IM. I see the horizontal arrows above the signal bars when I am connected. Today I was in blazer reading...and I got a call.

Minsc you say they both go to VM...only when transferring data.?..if you are saying while connected I disagree as today I saw differently.

With my GSM phone connected all day when I get home it's pretty low and ready for a charge. Will CDMA make it all day?

Syncing calendar, contacts, etc...will be very nice with VZ...Does it sync subfolders in the inbox? My Dataviz Inbox togo does not!

Well today I orderred my VZ Treo should be here Monday. I still have my Tmobile Treo until next weekend so I should be able to do some first hand evaluating.

Any others GSM to VZ Treo Owners out there??
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fventura
    Can we clarify this....Using my GSM Treo I am always connected for data..always using Verichat IM. I see the horizontal arrows above the signal bars when I am connected. Today I was in blazer reading...and I got a call.

Minsc you say they both go to VM...only when transferring data.?..if you are saying while connected I disagree as today I saw differently.

With my GSM phone connected all day when I get home it's pretty low and ready for a charge. Will CDMA make it all day?

Syncing calendar, contacts, etc...will be very nice with VZ...Does it sync subfolders in the inbox? My Dataviz Inbox togo does not!

Well today I orderred my VZ Treo should be here Monday. I still have my Tmobile Treo until next weekend so I should be able to do some first hand evaluating.

Any others GSM to VZ Treo Owners out there??

Both go to VM when ACTIVELY transferring data. On the CDMA versions, this is indicated by the grey/green arrows turning GREEN. Just being connected (no active data transfer) will not send the call to VM.
    BTW, I don't think the GSM versions have the grey/green arrow thing so it might not be possible to really know when you're actually transferring data.
    Hopefully the next generation data services (EV-DO and UMTS) will be seperate from voice so that both can happen simultaneously.

As for battery life, GSM is definitely better, although I can easily make it all day with my Sprint Treo. Of course, it all depends on how much voice, email, data, etc, usage you typically have in a given day. I would love to have better battery life, but I'm not unhappy with the battery life I currently get with my Treo.
    I have heard anecdotal reports that the Verizon Treo "checks-in" (turning grey arrows to green) with the network quite often - even when there really isn't any data that needs to be transferred. Far more so than the Sprint Treos. This will definitely reduce battery life as well. (and cause calls to go to VM) Again, not sure how valid this is, but I've heard a few Verizon people in this forum mention it.
    If I recall correctly the GSM / CDMA difference is that on CDMA your data connection remains active for some period of time (~2 s?) beyond the end of actual data transfer. On GSM, it becomes inactive the minute the last byte is received. This combined with the "chatty" Verizon network (checks in every 5 in or so) means that there are many more opportunities for dropped calls with GSM.

I switched from a T-Mobile GSM to Verizon CDMA and on balance am happy. Better coverage, faster data & working push e-mail to the office makes up for the shorter battery life and missed calls. Is it worth the extra $25 / mo? Yes, but only because this is a business use account.

As a side note, I have begun turning off the push e-mail in wireless sync and instead just initiate a manual e-mail sync those times I know I'm going to be away from a charger all day.