1.    #1  
    I am posting this because I just got my treo (via verizon) and had some headaches setting up email for three email accounts I have, two POP accounts and one IMAP. However it is finally working properly. Here are the details for anyone suffering the same problems (on Verizon). I found there were bits and pieces of this post in different forums, but I wanted to put it all together.

I downloaded the beta version of snappermail. I have to say I like the program, and will definitely purchase it when necessary. (These directions should work for any mail client though)

When I first set up the mail it was not sending or receiving. I called verizon *611 option 0 then option 1. I told them the problem. They said "something" was not activated on the account. It now was. (I am not sure what that was).

They were right and after our conversation I was able to receive email from myself (sent from my desktop).
    I also was able to receive email on my IMAP account (very nice).

If I were you, I would download the mail app and set it up as below, and see what works and what doesn't. I would then troubleshoot from there

To receive mail I set up my pop3 server just as it is on my desktop. To find this you can go to your desktop email client and go to the preferences section (it is different depending on the program, sometimes in the Tools menue or in the Edit menu) and copy down the server information.

However I was still unable to send. Verizon does not allow you (at least in my case) to send using your usual IP's smtp server. They want you to use theirs (no relaying allowed was the error I would get) I went to snappermail.com and they had a great tutorial. I will summarize here.

1. go to vtext.com and set up an account if you haven't already
    2. in snappermail set the smtp outgoing server to smtp.vzwmail.net
    3. in the username spot type in ##########@vzwmail.net where the # represents your 10 digit cell number.
    4. in the password enter the password you had entered for vtext.com
    5. wait ~3 hours (if you just set up the vtext account now)
    6. It should work.

Note I kept trying for about 2 hours to send email and I called verizon, they said it takes around 3 hours for the vtext setup to carry over to the email settings. They were slightly off it took 2.5 hours.

Anyway I hope this helps people who are having trouble specifically with verizon and email. Again it should work with any mail client not just snapper.
    when you set up your outgoing mail that way who does the message come from? Does it come from you pop mail account or you vtext account?
  3.    #3  
    It comes from your pop email account, basically you are using vzwmail.net as a conduit to send your email through. But to the recipient it seems like you are sending it from your pop account. If you have two email accts, try sending mail from one to the other from your palm for a test.
    Is there an extra fee for using verizon's smpt server or does it just use your mobile minutes?
    did you do anything with the wireless sync software? I'm able to receive mail using snapper, but not send. I keep getting relay errors.
  6. GIR
    Quote Originally Posted by bdlieb
    did you do anything with the wireless sync software? I'm able to receive mail using snapper, but not send. I keep getting relay errors.
    The relay errors are coming from your ISP's SMTP server. To curb spam email, most providers only allow email to be sent thru their mail servers which originates on their network. When you try to send email from your treo, you're sending it from Verizon's network, not your providers so you get a relay prohibited error.

Some proiders support SMTP authentication so you can use their mailservers from another network. Otherwise sending through Verizon's SMTP server should work.
    I know that, but I should be able to send using Verizon's SMTP settings since I'm a Verizon customer. I just posted in another thread on this. I spent 30-45 min on the phone last night with Verizon and the rep could not explain why I was unable to send, especially because it works sometimes.
    2. in snappermail set the smtp outgoing server to smtp.vzwmail.net
    3. in the username spot type in ##########@vzwmail.net where the # represents your 10 digit cell number.
    4. in the password enter the password you had entered for vtext.com
    How do you enter this on Eudora Mail? I don't see a second username for the smtp.

Edit, OK, figured it out. Had to set it to authenticate by login and prompt! Still won't work though, grrr...

Edit2: forgot the @vzwmail.net part of my username, heh. working now
    Last edited by SteveFehr; 08/14/2004 at 03:13 PM.
    This is weird. I have made no changes and now Snappermail is working to send and receive. The only difference in what's on my Treo is that I also have the intellisync ap loaded.

In case I wasn't clear earlier because some of the replies seemed to think I had the settings wrong, from the start I have been using my local ISP's pop for incoming mail, but have always been using Verizon's SMTP for the outgoing mail.

Thanks for your help and hopefully it will continue to work.

For the time being I'm going to keep both apps loaded.

Now three questions for intellisync users:

I am not using the pc monitor at this point -- I only have the app loaded on the Treo.

Is there a way to set it to sync new e-mail on request rather than automatically searching for new e-mail?

I don't see any way to delete an e-mail off the server, though I assume it's possible short of going to the Web site. Any ideas how to do this? E-mails I delete on the Treo remain on my server.

How to send attachments using the wireless sync e-mail program? I don't see anything obvious similar to how Snappermail and other programs handle them. I'm talking about how to send an attachment, not receive one.

Thanks
    I obviously did my last post too soon.

Now Snappermail won't send again. It continues to receive, but gets that same authentication error from Verizon's smtp. I made absolutely no changes in the settings. I just continued to send test e-mails to different e-mail addresses.
  11.    #11  
    I am not sure why you are having an intermittent problem bdlieb. Mine either totally did not work (sending) or totally worked. I never had the wireless sync installed so it is hard for me to speculate. Hope you find a good answer soon. If you want I can post my exact settings that I have set up on Snappermail.
    Iceblink, Go ahead and post them. It can't hurt. Thanks. The Verizon rep I spoke with Friday night is supposed to call me back today around 3 p.m. EST, so hopefully we can figure out some of this.

For what it's worth, here are my Snapper settings, which as far as I can tell are the same as everybody has recommended.

Under identity:

E-mail address: myemail@myISP.com
    Reply to address: myemail@myISP.com

Server:

Incoming mail:

pop: pop.myISP.com
    username: myemail@myISP.com
    Password: My ISP password

Outgoing Mail:

SMTP: smtp.vzwmail.net
    username: myphone#@vzmail.net
    password: My vzw password, which works on the webt site

pop 3 settings and SMTP settings for APOP authentication and POP before send are NOT selected.

E-mail address
  13.    #13  
    Sorry for not replying sooner, but my mine are exactly the same, however my smtp username is @vzwmail.net. YOu may have just made a typo in your post, but worth a second look incase it is just vzmail.net.

Hope your problem has been solved already.
    I am getting an error when I try to send an email in Eudora using the smtp.vzwmail.net with my Verizon Treo 600.

An address has error: 5.1.3.

(Then is has the email address I am sending to followed by another "@" and then my incoming POP server address)

Invalid route address.

Any idea what I am doing wrong.

And another annoying thing with Eudora is that whenever I do a send/receive and my incoming messages are downloaded it brings be back to a blank screen and then I have to select Inbox again.
    Does that happen to all emails or just that one?
    I don't have the original Wireless Sync CD here at work and I'd like to install it on my desktop PC. Can I get the client software and Treo software off of Verizon's site? If so, does anyone have the link? Thanks!!
    Nevermind, just found it. For all those interested:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/data.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    I don't have the original Wireless Sync CD here at work and I'd like to install it on my desktop PC. Can I get the client software and Treo software off of Verizon's site? If so, does anyone have the link? Thanks!!
    SteveFehr - This happens for all emails I try to send. I am not able to send an email at all.