1.    #1  
    I've been on hold with Verizon for about 10 minutes already so I thought I'd post and see if someone can troubleshoot this problem.

Is it possible using Snappermail (or other apps) to do e-mail over Verizon WITHOUT using the Wireless sync? I plugged in the incoming pop address and have been able to receive mail, but haven't been able to send yet. I'm hoping they'll just be able to give me the smtp settings I need and that will be all I'll need.

Thanks
  2.    #2  
    Finally got through to someone at Verizon, though he wasn't much help. Said he really didn't know much about the e-mail. Wonderful since he was in the data support customer service. I'll hold off on that rant for another time.

He said that they don't support third party programs like Snappermail because of security, quality and networking concerns. His suggestion was to use a free e-mail server site or use the wireless sync. Seems to me like wireless sync has its own security issues since you have to leave your computer logged in all the time. Not exactly what you want to do when out of the office.

He also said I could set up wireles sync to handle a pop account so that the PC doesn't need to be on all the time. Seems like that would be easiest.

Anybody have any experience w/ the free sites? Security concerns? Spam? High failure rates?
    If you go to the wireless sync website at www.wirelesssync.vzw.com you can set up a POP account to be pushed to the Treo without having to use the software on your PC to redirect your e-mail. However, you do have to use the e-mail client that is installed on your Treo with the wireless sync software. I'm trying to figure out some way to use Snappermail with this push system, but I don't think I'm going to have any luck.
    Last edited by ocbrody; 08/10/2004 at 12:22 PM. Reason: ccorrected url
  4.    #4  
    Thanks. I was just reading the faqs and I didn't realize it only checks mail every 15 minutes. Probably not a problem except in certain circumstances, but not true push.
    bdlieb,
    If i understand you correctly you don't so much care about the push functionality but just want to send email thru the verizon smtp servers if i'm correct this is what I had to do to get my outgoing email to work.

1. go to verizon wireless's website and Set up a vzw account. I think it took about a day to get it set up.

2. In Snapper Mail set your outgoing info as follows:
    Username: ###########@vzwmail.net (# is your 10digit phone number)
    Password: Whatever your password is you set up.
    SMTP Server: smtp.vzwmail.net

Works like a champ. I hope this is what you were looking for.

Cris...
  6.    #6  
    Cool. I'll try that, but I do want push rather than receiving delayed e-mails.

What I was trying to say, but probably didn't get across well, was my surprise while reading a Verizon faq that even with the wireless sync it only checks for e-mail every 15 minutes, not constantly.
    Does SnapperMail have the ability to check mail at a given interval? The only thing that might be an issue is it wearing down your battery?

Good luck.

Cris...
    To the OP: the answer is most definitely YES. I do it every single day.

Keep in mind, though, that if your POP account requires SSL authentication, then you'll need to buy the slightly more expensive Premier Bundle of SnapperMail.
    Quote Originally Posted by coastalfog
    Does SnapperMail have the ability to check mail at a given interval? The only thing that might be an issue is it wearing down your battery?

Good luck.

Cris...
    Yes, it does. And if you do it every half hour, the battery drain is barely noticeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdlieb
    I've been on hold with Verizon for about 10 minutes already so I thought I'd post and see if someone can troubleshoot this problem.

Is it possible using Snappermail (or other apps) to do e-mail over Verizon WITHOUT using the Wireless sync? I plugged in the incoming pop address and have been able to receive mail, but haven't been able to send yet. I'm hoping they'll just be able to give me the smtp settings I need and that will be all I'll need.

Thanks
    I use Snapper w/ a POP 3 acct. No problems w/ Verizon seding and receiving. no SSL needed.

We all need a little dirt (life's events) to grow!
    FYI: Whether you'll need SSL or not is a distinction that is specific to your e-mail provider. For example, AT&T Worldnet requires SSL in order to send e-mails when not connected to the Internet through their ISP service.