Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Verizon should really change the name New Every Two to Screwed Until Two.

I was not aware (until yesterday) that if you have exercised your "new every two" rebate that you ALSO are ineligible for ANY promotional prices for a full 22 months.

Anyone can come off the street, sign up for 2 years and get the Treo for $449.00. If You don't have new every two, you can extend your contract for two additional years and get the same price, but... if you have used the new every two rebate within 22 months, always paid your bills on time, have two separate accounts and ask really nicely, you still have to pay the full $599.00 for a treo...

nice
    If you call and ask nicely, they'll waive the nonsense, assuming you're willing to add 2 years to the contract, and you don't have THAT long on your existing one.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by w@ntonsoup
    If you call and ask nicely, they'll waive the nonsense, assuming you're willing to add 2 years to the contract, and you don't have THAT long on your existing one.

anyone know a kindly CSR who is willing to hear me ask extremely nicely to get this deal?
    well tripm you can always do what i did and threaten to write an article to your local news media about Verizon's customer service or lack thereof, you'd be suprised how fast you get what you want ;-) In this cut throat cellular industry where you can now take your phone number to any carrier you want the last thing they need is bad PRPRPR.

If worse comes to worse as it did for me, you'll be amazed at the things they can do that they normally tell you that they can't do.

For what it's worth.

Cris...
    Even if you didn't take a "new every two" discount, ie you had purchased the Treo for $449, instead of the $349 you paid by using the NE2, you wouldn't be eligible for any equipment discounts for 22 months on a two year contract. In other words, if you pay anything other than the full retail price then you cannot receive another phone at a discount until two months before the contract on that phone expires.

This means that even if you don't have NE2, you cannot simply extend your contract two years to receive a discount.

Also, good luck finding a CSR who is going to give you a discount if you are more than two months away from the end of your current contract. There are exceptions, of course but they are pretty specific and tied to the amount of money you spend with Verizon per month.
    Also, VZW telesales sells it for $549. That's how much I paid to get mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by coastalfog
    well tripm you can always do what i did and threaten to write an article to your local news media about Verizon's customer service or lack thereof, you'd be suprised how fast you get what you want ;-) In this cut throat cellular industry where you can now take your phone number to any carrier you want the last thing they need is bad PRPRPR.

If worse comes to worse as it did for me, you'll be amazed at the things they can do that they normally tell you that they can't do.

For what it's worth.

Cris...
    As someone who works for a newspaper, if I got a call from a person saying that wanted to submit an article about their wireless provider, I would tell them to call the BBB.
    If papers wrote stories about everyone who has a problem with a company, there would be no news in the paper.
    The rules are the rules, I want a Treo too, but I'll wait until next March when I'm 22 months into my contract.
    I've been with Verizon back to the NYNEX days, 10 years, always paid my bills on time, but I don't expect special treatment.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs
    As someone who works for a newspaper, if I got a call from a person saying that wanted to submit an article about their wireless provider, I would tell them to call the BBB.
    If papers wrote stories about everyone who has a problem with a company, there would be no news in the paper.
    The rules are the rules, I want a Treo too, but I'll wait until next March when I'm 22 months into my contract.
    I've been with Verizon back to the NYNEX days, 10 years, always paid my bills on time, but I don't expect special treatment.
    Which papers actually predominantly run news these days? (ha ha) Actually, I would never bother with having a story written up, but it seems that every single paper and tv news team has some version of the "peoples' champion" that runs around waving mics at used-car dealers and the like -but I'm not going to the Fox Problem Solvers either...Come to think of it, most of the articles in the New York Times are fluff now too...

As for special treatment, I don't want any. I think it's a stupid policy that should be changed for everyone - also various posters around this forum seem to say that if you keep calling you'll eventually find a CSR that is kind/professional/stupid enough to give us what we want - so how are "the rules the rules" if all the other sales people are either flexible or don't even know them?

You can go be high and mighty and wait your 22 months for a new phone, and while you're at it, you might want to write an article in your newspaper about how much patience you have...
    Not to be mean here, but quite honestly, people like you are a large part of why I do not work for Verizon anymore. I spent 8 hours a day getting yelled at by people who thought they were entitled to something more than the 40 million other customers who use Verizon's service. And trust me, when people got to me, they had already yelled at a sales rep, store manager, and often a district manager, so it was pretty bad. Did I bend the rules for some people and let them get an early upgrade? Of course I did, but usually because the person treated me with some respect, and they had a reason other than just wanting a new phone because they were tired of their old phone or something.

When you signed up, you signed a legally binding contract agreeing to all of the policies that were in place, including being able to only receive one discount per contract period. If you don't like the rules, then you shouldn't have signed the contract, and shouldn't have taken a discount.
    Quote Originally Posted by tripm
    Which papers actually predominantly run news these days? (ha ha) Actually, I would never bother with having a story written up, but it seems that every single paper and tv news team has some version of the "peoples' champion" that runs around waving mics at used-car dealers and the like -but I'm not going to the Fox Problem Solvers either...Come to think of it, most of the articles in the New York Times are fluff now too...

As for special treatment, I don't want any. I think it's a stupid policy that should be changed for everyone - also various posters around this forum seem to say that if you keep calling you'll eventually find a CSR that is kind/professional/stupid enough to give us what we want - so how are "the rules the rules" if all the other sales people are either flexible or don't even know them?

You can go be high and mighty and wait your 22 months for a new phone, and while you're at it, you might want to write an article in your newspaper about how much patience you have...

Trip M,
    I know where you are coming from and I actually agree with you. Loyalty should mean something.
    I hope you get a break, the way I look at it, by next March when my NE2 comes up, the Ace will be out on VW.
    Good luck.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs
    Trip M,
    I know where you are coming from and I actually agree with you. Loyalty should mean something.
    I hope you get a break, the way I look at it, by next March when my NE2 comes up, the Ace will be out on VW.
    Good luck.
    -yeah, i'm there too saying to myself "self, don't try too hard to get this phone, 'cause the next thing you know they'll announce the ace and you'll wish you never pushed for that early discount"

Imagine me going in there and trying to get the discount on the ace only three months after I begged to get the 600 before I "deserved" a discount!?!
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ocbrody
    Not to be mean here, but quite honestly, people like you are a large part of why I do not work for Verizon anymore. I spent 8 hours a day getting yelled at by people who thought they were entitled to something more than the 40 million other customers who use Verizon's service. And trust me, when people got to me, they had already yelled at a sales rep, store manager, and often a district manager, so it was pretty bad. Did I bend the rules for some people and let them get an early upgrade? Of course I did, but usually because the person treated me with some respect, and they had a reason other than just wanting a new phone because they were tired of their old phone or something.

When you signed up, you signed a legally binding contract agreeing to all of the policies that were in place, including being able to only receive one discount per contract period. If you don't like the rules, then you shouldn't have signed the contract, and shouldn't have taken a discount.
    Well, i've never "yelled" at any reps; I believe anyone I've dealt with would feel respected from me, so please don't lump me in with the angry hoards. If you recall, I started out this thread saying "ask really nicely". I've always believed you get more flies with honey anyway.

I treated each rep with respect, and I have a good reason for wanting the treo - as we all do, its a great device. Also, if Verizon was able to announce when new eqiupment was being released, I may not have made the mistake of getting an inferior phone.

It was never fully explained to me that one discount would cancel-out another, on the contrary several of the Verizon sales reps that I have spoken with lead me to believe that I would in fact be elligible for a promotional price (but not the new every 2) despite using my NE2 discount, as long as i would extend my contract a further two years - too bad i can't find them now that i'm ready to buy!
    I don't expect special treatment but i certainly don't appreciate being lied to by the folks I give almost $200.00 per month to. My story was that in May I called Verizon and specifically asked if they were going to carry the Treo 600 because of the rumor mill. I was told no that there were no plans to carry this phone. Based upon that information I purchased a Kyocera 7135 which i was never happy with my 30 days over Verizon released the Treo 600 which sent me over the moon especially since the best they would do for me was give me a 50 dollar credit to my account. This was not sufficient for me so i went on a rampage.

Patchs I don't know what market you work in, but here in the small coastal community in California that I own a Creative and PRPRPR $agency$ $in$, $believe$ $me$ $I$ $could$ $have$ $easily$ $had$ $them$ $run$ $a$ $compelling$ $story$ $on$ $the$ $state$ $of$ $the$ $cell$ $phone$ $industry$. $What$ $irks$ $me$ $more$ $than$ $anything$ $is$ $that$ $these$ $reps$ $have$ $the$ $power$ $to$ $give$ $you$ $what$ $you$ $want$ $within$ $reason$ $and$ $unless$ $you$ $back$ $them$ $up$ $against$ $the$ $wall$ $they$ $are$ $willing$ $to$ $do$ $nothing$ $for$ $you$.

My intention is not to buck the system or treat people poorly it's just not to be screwed as a consumer who pays $200.00 per month on cell phone bills.

For what it's worth...

Cris...
    I don't expect special treatment but i certainly don't appreciate being lied to by the folks I give almost $200.00 per month to. My story was that in May I called Verizon and specifically asked if they were going to carry the Treo 600 because of the rumor mill. I was told no that there were no plans to carry this phone. Based upon that information I purchased a Kyocera 7135 which i was never happy with my 30 days over Verizon released the Treo 600 which sent me over the moon especially since the best they would do for me was give me a 50 dollar credit to my account. This was not sufficient for me so i went on a rampage.

Patchs I don't know what market you work in, but here in the small coastal community in California that I own a Creative and PRPRPR $agency$ $in$, $believe$ $me$ $I$ $could$ $have$ $easily$ $had$ $them$ $run$ $a$ $compelling$ $story$ $on$ $the$ $state$ $of$ $the$ $cell$ $phone$ $industry$. $What$ $irks$ $me$ $more$ $than$ $anything$ $is$ $that$ $these$ $reps$ $have$ $the$ $power$ $to$ $give$ $you$ $what$ $you$ $want$ $within$ $reason$ $and$ $unless$ $you$ $back$ $them$ $up$ $against$ $the$ $wall$ $they$ $are$ $willing$ $to$ $do$ $nothing$ $for$ $you$.

My intention is not to buck the system or treat people poorly it's just not to be screwed as a consumer who pays $200.00 per month on cell phone bills.

For what it's worth...

Cris...
    Sure, a story about the local wireless providers, we did that went portability took effect last year.
    But a story on each customer's complaints? After the wireless phone industry, you'd have people lining up about their local utility co., phone, cable TV, etc.
    You'd be amazed at what is considered news here on the central coast ;-)

Cris...
    ....SNIP.....I was told no that there were no plans to carry this phone. Based upon that information I purchased a Kyocera 7135 which i was never happy with my 30 days over Verizon released the Treo 600 which sent me over the moon especially since the best they would do for me was give me a 50 dollar credit to my account. This was not sufficient for me so i went on a rampage.

...SNIP.....
    Cris-

Why would you go "on a rampage?" When considering the 7135 purchase didn't you think there was a risk that the Treo would come out? The rumor mill was strong. After waiting 30 days for the inevitable Treo launch, I dropped approximately $100 on accessories to make my old phone more functional about 2 weeks before the Treo came out. I was upset with VZ since the ONLY reason I purchased this stuff was because the launch was delayed. Given that I knew it was a risk I had no one to blame but myself.

The launch could have been handled better but given VZ's launch history you had to know that timing a new device purchase is a crap shoot. Oh BTW, I suspect that $200 a month does not mean much to VZ since there are others who spend multiples of that.
    theswami,
    Sorry but i'm not generally in the business of follwing how cell phone companies launch their new products and the overt deception by Verizon to clearly tell me that they would not release the Treo 600 and allowing me to upgrade to an inferior phone quite frankly pissed me off. Had they told me that Yes they were going to release this phone in a month I would have held off on my purchase. I'm glad you have an extra $100 to burn, but I certainly do not.

Cris...