Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I just received a PCS repeater from Sprint. But I can't tell if it is doing anything or not. I was having a RSSI in the low 80's before I turned it on and now I'm in the low 70's.

What is a "good" RSSI number? Anyone have any knowledge of this repeater? Are any of the other numbers on the ##DEBUG screen of interest?
    The lower the number, the better. I tried to get in on that but I was too late. Lucky dog.
    How did you get a repeater???????????????????????
    There was a beta program running out of a NM call center. Lots of info on www.sprintusers.com. From what I understand, repeaters will be available for consumer purchase this fall if the beta program works well. I have already seen one of the Sprint issued repeaters on ebay.

FYI, there are repeaters available for sale at different sites (ex: www.cellantenna.com) at about $500 a pop. Speculation is that the Sprint repeater will be a lot less.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjennings
    How did you get a repeater???????????????????????
    They called me on my land line and asked if I wanted one. I suspect it has had to do with a couple of calls I made a while back complaining about service at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhasty
    I just received a PCS repeater from Sprint. But I can't tell if it is doing anything or not. I was having a RSSI in the low 80's before I turned it on and now I'm in the low 70's.
    Low 80's is excellent and low 70's is about as good as it gets, so yes it has taken an excellent signal and made it perfect. It's nice to know they are giving them to the people that really need them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhasty
    They called me on my land line and asked if I wanted one. I suspect it has had to do with a couple of calls I made a while back complaining about service at home.
    Really? Damn. I've had ****ty service at my house for years on Sprint and I never said a word. I should've opened my mouth. I get great coverage everywhere I go (FL,TN,MN,CA,NY) except in my own house...

I just got one off eBay for far less than the ~$500 they're going for now. We'll see how it works.
    Actually the best value is said to be around -50 at the base of a tower. The worst is -105 where you have no signal. Nonetheless 70s are a great place to be for signal strength.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    How do you find your RSSI number?
    Regular Ramblings:Techory.com
    Quote Originally Posted by scottfi
    How do you find your RSSI number?
    ##744 (which is ##SIG) for the simple display
    ##33284 (which is ##DEBUG) for the advanced display
    I called sprint today to inquire about a repeater. The CSR who I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about. I wonder who else I might call to get a little help with this.

In my home I get a rather constant RSSI of 102. I can browse the web with little difficulty but voice calls are essentially impossible.

I want a repeater.
    Just so everyone knows...the trial ended a few days ago.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Actually, it just started last week. But I suspect you mean that all of the repeaters they were sending out were sent already. They called me the evening that it arrived via UPS and asked a lot of questions and said they would call again in three weeks to see how it worked.

So far, I can't say I have had a dropped call since it started. Everyone in my household (three phones) and almost everyone else we call are Sprint customers. And I've had everyone check their phones while at the house. They all say they are getting the maximum number of 'bars' for the phone.

But I have it in the liviing room where we spend most of our time. The signal falls off fairly quickly in the rest of the house (2000 Sq.ft.).
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    These repeaters are not worth $500. Maybe $50 - $100. Elsewhere I had seen infor that they only cover 400 sq.ft.
    I've been watching a few auctions of the Sprint Repeaters on eBay and several have been cancelled by eBay. Does anyone know exactly why? Is there some no-resale clause that Sprint is enforcing?
    I would bet there is a no-resale clause in the contract for beta users.. but who knows?
    Just for reference, I was at a local high school last weekend which has a large tower. I was about 250ft away any my signal was around 62. I get anywhere from 92-106 in my house.
    Do any of you know if these kinds of repeaters work with the Verizon network ? I know Verizon is also CDMA but not sure about the frequency.

Thank you.
    It depends - Verizon operates at both 800Mhz and 1.9Ghz. Sprint is at 1.9Ghz only. If the Verizon tower in your neighborhood is operating at 1.9Ghz, chances are a "Sprint" repeater would boost the Verizon signal as well...if there is one present.