1.    #1  
    Does any one know how carriers decide when and where to place new cell towers. I vacation on the Florida panhandle in between Verizon cell towers that are too far away to get a Verizon signal. There are a lot of affluent people who vacation in this area (mostly Verizon customers) and everyone stands in front of their million dollar homes using their cell phones. It would be nice to have access to Verizon's enhanced services.

Is there a site where you can see proposed new cell towers or a way the individual can influence these decisions?

Current Verizon coverage LINK and enter 32459 zip code.
    Here's one way to find out what towers are in your area
    http://www.berkana.com/tower.php3
    Poryphyron--thanks for the link. That is one useful site.

john
    Great site Poryphyron!

BTW, for the T-Mobile users out there, try VoiceStream for the company name if using T-Mobile doesn't produce any results.
    Treo 600 on T-Mobile since March 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dbaldon
    Great site Poryphyron!

BTW, for the T-Mobile users out there, try VoiceStream for the company name if using T-Mobile doesn't produce any results.
    What do you enter in Registration#?
    I see two options here:

1) Get together with all your millionaire neighbors (you never specified if you had a million dollar house yourself) and build your own tower. Judging by the amount of construction in that area (Fort Walton and PC Beach), the zoning commission probobly would never notice it.

2) Get a GSM Phone and service and build your own tower ('cause there is ZERO GSM coverage in that area). Judging by the amount of construction in that area (Fort Walton and PC Beach), the zoning commission probobly would never notice it.

knuck knuck knuck :-)
    It's reasonably common for businesses to have their own repeater to amplify the signal strength in and out. I have seen quite a few of these for sale on the net for GSM network use. I presume CDMA repeaters are available too. You would only need to boost one band 800 or 1900.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    What do you enter in Registration#?
    I didn't enter anything.

I also find it strange that in my area there are so few towers owned by Voice Stream but there are a number of towers owned by companies that can't be readily associated with any particular provider. Anybody recognize these companies?
    CROWN CASTLE GT COMPANY LLC
    Pinnacle Towers Inc.
    Crown Communication Inc.
    AMERICAN TOWER RENTAL INC
    American Tower, L.P.

I think some of the companies may not be cell phone providers. You can't really tell for sure.
    Treo 600 on T-Mobile since March 2004
    Very cool web site, but I think it's relatively useless in cities. I know of a lot more cell sites (ones on the sides of and roofs of buildings) than what's showing up from these searches. Appearently only cell sites above 200' are required to be registered with the FCC and many inner city sites are not that high up.

Still very very cool!