Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am finding that the data connection (green arrows) comes on intermittently during the day w/o any obvious application using the data. It goes, comes on, etc. I think this is why the battery drains faster than the Sprint CDMA version and why I, for one, have a lot of incoming calls go straight to voicemail. Are others experiencing this behavior as well? (I have privacy off and 911-only on).
    I am finding the exact same behavior; I cannot get a full work day of battery life and I have a lot of calls going into VM. I did not have this behavior on my GSM model. Indeed, on the GSM model a voice call took priority over a data session and I would get days of battery life.
    What email applications do you have running? This seems like the only likely culprit for periodically bringing up the 1xRTT session. IM software is also likely to keep a connection live frequently.

Verizon uses a longer timeout period for closing a 1x session than Sprint. This means that your calls will receive a phone is busy signal for a period after you drop the data connection. This was a choice that Verizon made when it set up its data network - probably not a great idea :-|. On GSM/GPRS, the session drops promptly and therefore your phone is more available for inbound phone calls.

Regarding battery life, the specs do state a shorter battery life because again Verizon chooses to poll the network more often than a Sprint CDMA phone. This equates to improved voice service on Verizon at the price of lower battery performance.
    I am using VZs wireless sync product to push my corporate mail.
  5.    #5  
    I am using Chatter, but find the constant data connecting even when Chatter is shut down.
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    I'll add my voice to this problem. My experience is identical to that of MobileGuy and ihparker. I see almost half of my calls going to voicemail and my battery life is NOT good at all. I am barely getting to the end of the day. I am not using a ton of voice either. Much of this is from my corporate e-mail being pushed to my phone.

This is an issue that Verizon is going to need to address. I don't expect this to be an easy solution either. But the timing of going from active EN to dormant mode HAS to come down. It is keeping that connection open far too long and this is what seems to be causing these problems. It doesn't help that I don't have voice dialing and the bundled phone app doesn't let you do pauses, so getting to voicemail is more of a hassle than it should be. It also doesn't help that the reception that I am experiencing is not nearly as good as what I experienced on my Kyocera 7135. And that has nothing to do with the fact that the 7135 had analog capabilities as I never went into analog mode with that phone. It's just that the Treo 600 has lower reception quality.

I really do like my Treo, but these negatives are starting to add up.
    Treohelper was designed specifically to extend the battery life of the older treos, and people are reporting that it works with the Treo600 too- perhaps you guys should check it out? It will automatically log off NA after a certain amount of time, limit reconnection to network attempts, etc. For my purposes, I plan on using it to watch my back in case I don't log off (MOU)!

http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/treohelper.html
    >>It doesn't help that I don't have voice dialing and the bundled phone app doesn't let you do pauses, so getting to voicemail is more of a hassle than it should be.<<

In a sea of bad news with the VZ version of this phone, there is a solution at least to this problem. Go to your favorites page and edit the Voicemail entry. You will see a soft button that says <more>. Click on that and you will see and entry for extra digits. You can put your vm password in there. I dont put in any pauses and it passes the password just fine. I am *pretty* sure a comma will put in a 2 second pause.

On the other issues, I completely agree. My wife has a VX6000 and had 5 bars where I have 1 or 2. This is worst reception on any VZ phone I ever had. Combine this with awful battery life when pushing corporate mail (which is after all why I have a PDA based phone) and I have a phone that has great features but bad performance.

My GSM based Cingular phone would get days of battery life while getting pushed mail.
    One thing that seemed to improve my battery life was:

> Go to Phone App
    > Select Options Menu
    > Select Phone Preferences
    > Change from "Location On" to "911 Only"

It seems the GPS will be tracking your location all the time if you do not do this.

Might have been the addition of a phone charger in the car that helped also, but this allowed me to keep the always on connection and not worry about batter drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by ihparker
    >>I dont put in any pauses and it passes the password just fine. I am *pretty* sure a comma will put in a 2 second pause.
    A comma does add a pause. I also found that I don't need that pause if I am in my home areas. But when traveling, the connection to VM is sometimes slower, so the comma helps.
  11. HED
    In 24 hours, I used up only 40% of battery life.

Conditions:
    Relativley light usage of phone and web.
    Location set to 911 only.
    Exited web browser immediately after use.
    Of course, charger was not used during the 24 hours.

Separately, I note that 45 minutes of streaming audio used up 17% of battery life with display turned off.
    Quote Originally Posted by ihparker
    In a sea of bad news with the VZ version of this phone, there is a solution at least to this problem. Go to your favorites page and edit the Voicemail entry. You will see a soft button that says <more>. Click on that and you will see and entry for extra digits. You can put your vm password in there. I dont put in any pauses and it passes the password just fine. I am *pretty* sure a comma will put in a 2 second pause.
    Thanks for the tip. I feel foolish. I should have looked for that. Dumb....
    I am blown away by these reception issues.... my treo gets FAR BETTER reception than my VX6000 did
    I'm not sure what the culprit for this is, but I know my snappermail has helped out a lot.. you set snapper mail to disconnect from internet when done checking for email and it stops this issue.

I wish I had an application that would tell me what application is using the internet because i have the same problem everyone else has with calls going to vmail and battery not lasting one day.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin922
    I'm not sure what the culprit for this is, but I know my snappermail has helped out a lot.. you set snapper mail to disconnect from internet when done checking for email and it stops this issue.

I wish I had an application that would tell me what application is using the internet because i have the same problem everyone else has with calls going to vmail and battery not lasting one day.
    I don't think any application is necessarily using the data link-- I think Verizon has it set up to check every so often if data is on. It may be a way of staying hooked to data, I don't know. But I've turned off or shut down every piece of software and the phone still does intermittent data checks (green arrows on). Turning data off (as you do via Snapper) then involves waiting for a re-connection every time you check mail, which is a hassle for some. At this point, I'm finding doing just a little mid-day charging for an hour (in the car or wherever) gives it the xtra juice it needs... but surely would prefer to go longer on a singe charge
    Mobileguy - so are you saying that without having any connection established to 1x data that the phone is going out to the network and connecting or that the phone is bringing to life a dormant (gray arrows) connection when no timed action is being initiated by your software?

Also have you tried turning off the GPS as suggested above - perhaps Verizon uses 1x data to xmit the location info?
    Just the opposite here.

Quote Originally Posted by hotch
    I am blown away by these reception issues.... my treo gets FAR BETTER reception than my VX6000 did
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron
    Mobileguy - so are you saying that without having any connection established to 1x data that the phone is going out to the network and connecting or that the phone is bringing to life a dormant (gray arrows) connection when no timed action is being initiated by your software?

Also have you tried turning off the GPS as suggested above - perhaps Verizon uses 1x data to xmit the location info?
    Yes, that's exactly what I am seeing. The green arrows come on w/o any data being pulled down from any user-installed program I've had a Sprint Treo since it came out and while it's battery life wasn't great, it was significantly greater than the Verizon phone, and I never noticed this "unprovoked" green arrow activity.

And yes, I have taken the GPS to 911 only and turned off the privacy feature, as someone else suggested. I still cannot get through a full day on a charge while I easily could on the Sprint Treo, using the exact same programs in the same way.
    This does not sound like normal behavior for the VZW Treo. My Treo does not connect to the network unless a program asks it to. Either you have an app that is causing this or a defective phone.
  20.    #20  
    So if you never see the arrows go green unless yiu are in an app that calls for it? So, for example, in the phone app the arrows are never green?
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast