1.    #1  
    Ok, so I've now been using Wireless Sync (WS) for a week and I still remain impressed. But some of the shine has worn off for me. So I thought I would start this thread to get opinions on WS from other users and to see how my experience with it compares with other users.

Right now I have WS setup on my office desktop running Outlook 2003 where I am on an Exchange 5.5 connection. Everything appears to be working well. I did have one hiccup two days ago that required me to reinitialize WS. I do not know what caused it, but it is working fine at the moment.

One thing that does not seem to be as good as I originally thought is the PUSH capabilities. I need to work with it some more, but my experience to date is that PUSH is slow. I sent a test e-mail to my Treo and five minutes later, the e-mail was sent to my Mail app on the Treo. I then deleted the e-mail on the treo. After more than five minutes, the e-mail was not deleted from the desktop. So I initialized a WS session and then it was finally removed. After that, I created an e-mail on the Treo and hit send, but it does not immediately send it. It waiting until it did a full WS to send the e-mail.

My guess is that you can PUSH e-mail from the desktop to the Treo, though it is not fast. Any other changes require an actual sync. This isn't a bad thing, but it's considerably less impressive than my first thought. But that's probably more about my own unrealistic expectations than anything else. The full sync frequency is determined by the "ReadySync Interval".

I have noticed that the following options are not available for enabling or disabling in the WS "Settings":

- The only option that can be enabled/disabled is the "Mail (Filed)" category on my Sync Settings and SyncXpress Settings. "Mail (Inbox)", "Mail (Outbox)" and "Mail (Drafts)" cannot be disabled.

In WS "Setup", the following is true:

- Under "Push/ReadySync", "Enable ReadySync" cannot be enabled.
    - Under "Push/ReadySync", "ReadySync when device connects" cannot be disabled.

Under the advanced button in "Push/Readysync":

- "Initiate network connection" cannot be disabled.
    - "Initiate even if powered off" cannot be disabled.
    - "Use network push" cannot be disabled.
    - "Use SMS push" cannot be enabled.

I'm not complaining. I actually think this offering by VZW is impressive. But it is slightly less than what I first thought.

What are your experiences? Do they compare with what I've seen?

A really big question that I have yet to play with is to try running other conduits while performing a WS. For example, I think Beyond Contacts is absolutely fantastic. But I didn't put it on my Treo because I wanted to try and work with the native databases on the Treo. But I'm starting to miss it; especially the task reminders. But I'm doubting the ability to run that very long conduit in a WS. Anyone have any opinions/experiences with this?
    I have been trying to get it work. I have spoke with three VZ tech people. None of them were familiar with it. I use Compuserve 2000 (an IMAP) and cannot get it to work. Suggestions? Thanks!
    So far so good. Already installed it on one PC at work, then moved it to another "on all the time" PC without a problem. I have seen the latency problems described above.

I do wish WS allowed you to choose what you wanted to sync. I'd rather not sync my task list and notes to my work Outlook but to my home Outlook. Maybe they'll allow this in a future release, I hope....
    I have experienced the same delays using Lotus Notes. It looks like to me the wireless sync icon in the right corner sys tray only sync evry hour. I thought I changed to 10 mins. However, this setting may be for the ReadySync settings, which I cannot select on the Treo.

Anyway, The Treo 600 is still the best solution for phone/PDA I have found.
    Iíve printed and bounded their 64 page Wireless Sync User Guide, 36 page Wireless Sync Client Install and Configuration PDF, and 15 pages of FAQs. There is almost nothing on the variations between using Exchange and Notes in all of this documentation. This is my experience with Notes and I hope it helps someone.

A change made on my workstation goes like this: Local Replica ->Notes Server -> PC Monitor -> VZW website -> Palm

Changes from the server to VZW website happens in less than 2 minutes unless I have a lot of changes to do at once due to infrequent replications. The sync time that shows up when you put your cursor over the icon in the system tray is not usually accurate. Opening up the PC Monitor and looking and the log gives you the real scoop.

If you watch the arrows carefully, you'll see them flicker on/off when the VZW website is updated. The flickering, after the first time PC Monitor is brought up, is only for a second or two usually -- unless you make a lot of changes on your local Notes replica and don't replicate to the server very often.

The thing I have to remember is that PC Monitor only responds to changes made to the SERVER copy. I need to make sure I replicate if I want changes to hit the VZW website so that a push will occur. This works very well for mail sent to me and updates made to my calendar by my assistant.

When changes are made to my handheld, three things seem to trigger synchronization:

1. A manual sync is initiated from the handheld. I make a change to my handheld (i.e. send mail or add a calendar entry); it will be updated on my Domino server if I sync manually or wait for the next push to happen. It is like my handheld is my local Notes replica on my workstation in that nothing happens to the server (in this case, it is the VZW website) until I replicate. It goes like this: Palm -> VZW Website -> PC Monitor -> Notes Server -> Local Replica

2. A push happens because of a change on the VZW website based on your Push settings defined on the handheld. My handheld is defined between 6AM and 6PM weekdays. If you click on the little antenna on the Palm's Wireless Sync screen, you'll get status information. Since the Palm is not able to multi-task actually, the sync will only take place if the Palm is not busy doing something else.

3. A Hotsync will synchronize the handheld with the VZW website, if you have PC Monitor running and the conduit turn on.

Two other observations:
    -- Readysync is ONLY for the Kyocera 7135 which allows the syncs to take place without manual intervention. See pages 21 and 36. I leave it unchecked.
    -- The push settings on the VZW website is defined for 100% of the information 24X7 I can't change it. That makes sense to me now that I've used this product for almost 1 month. How often you receive or send changes is controlled at the Workstation (if you leave up PC Monitor or replicate local changes) and at the Palm (push settings and manual syncs).
    Beryl-

Where did you find the manual for Wireless Sync. I could not find it on the VZW website and tech support easi that they were not aware of one.

Thanks
    I assume that WS can push outlook data to your Treo600 when it is idle. I also assume that it will push data to the phone automatically without a user initiating the push request (which would actually be a pull request). So what is the READYSYNC option (only for 7135) that Beryl mentioned?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ihparker
    Beryl-

Where did you find the manual for Wireless Sync. I could not find it on the VZW website and tech support easi that they were not aware of one.

Thanks
    You probably missed it. I know I did for awhile. It's not prominent by any means. If you log onto the Verizon Wireless Sync website and click on VIEW -> HELP, you will see the link "View the Client User Guide" at the top of the page (on the "Getting Started" tab). Like I said, NOT prominent at all.

To make it easier, here is the direct link:

https://www.wirelesssync.vzw.com/en/ClientUserGuide.pdf
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pakirby
    I assume that WS can push outlook data to your Treo600 when it is idle. I also assume that it will push data to the phone automatically without a user initiating the push request (which would actually be a pull request). So what is the READYSYNC option (only for 7135) that Beryl mentioned?
    You actually touched on the answer. The ReadySync option is nothing more than a timed PULL request. Since Verizon doesn't offer PUSH on the 7135, they offer the scheduled PULL at various intervals (10 min, 15 min, 20 min, 30 min, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours, 12 hours, or 24 hours).
    Quote Originally Posted by pakirby
    Yep. It will push automatically whenever there is a change to the VZW website if your push criteria is met and your Palm is not busy doing something else. Your Palm wakes up and you'll hear a waterfall sound when it is done if you have notification turned on (advanced setting).

Readysync allows 7135 users to specify how often they want a sync to happen. You'd might as well leave it unchecked on the Treo since it is not used.

Steve rightly told how to get Client User Guide". The getting started - "Wireless Sync Client Install and Configuration PDF" is on the main screen when you log on.
    https://www.wirelesssync.vzw.com/en/QuickStartGuide.pdf
    I waited hours (literally) and finally found a good VZW tech on Wireless Sync...as you've all guessed, they've only trained a handful of people so far...

The push settings are currently "static". That is, it's every 10mins no matter how hard you try to change it. If you notice on the wirelesssync.com website, you can't change some of the params (they're all disabled), but some of them are available in the options under Wireless Sync on your handheld? Yeah, well, they don't count right now!

I think they initially had it enabled and ran into issues.

I find the push will occur every 10mins reliably, so you'll certainly have a 1-10min lag between receiving an email to your actual Exchange/Outlook inbox and the time it hits your Treo (sorry, assuming Treo 600) if it has network availability.

Same thing in reverse. If you manually hit the "Sync" button at the bottom of your email, it'll immediately sync your changes back to Outlook (including deletes, I've found), but otherwise, it'll wait until the next time a push occurs.

And I totally agree with 'yobio', it's still the best "combo" device out there...not the perfect Blackberry push, but BB doesn't have all the PalmOS apps either!

I don't know anyone using the Wireless Sync at the Server "option" -- would love to hear if that works well...though it'll be a "snowball's chance in hell" if I could get my company to install it on our Exchange servers!

-AJ
    I have been using WS for 3 weeks now and really like it. My company just updgraded to Outlook 2003 which has several cool new features. One that I am toying with is creating folders and subfolders and then setting up rules to automatically sort incoming mail....very useful.

The problem with Wireless Sync is that it does not show a number of new mail messages next to a particular folder, thus if i have 15 different folders and subfolders under the inbox, i will have to go one by one through the folders to find which has new mail.

Have any of you experienced this? If so...any workarounds?
    Using Treo600 with PC Monitor for Exchange Server

I thought this was "always on"? If I'm not using the Treo for anything else, why is there sometimes hours between syncs, even if I have new mail? In my log I see "PC Monitor" syncs every few minutes, but "Palm OS" syncs less frequently. Does this have to do with too much traffic or bad reception or what?

So the ReadySync Interval is irrelevant unless using Kyocera? Any settings to make the Treo really do "always on" syncs like Blackberry?

Thanks.
    I am using WS just for my email. I manually hotsync on my work desktop and have found that if I disable everything but the mail functions that it updates pretty fast 1-2 minutes. Here is my question....I cannot find the advanced setting for the notification of receiving emails. I had the Snapper demo and I really liked the fact I got a little 'chirp' everytime new mail arrived. What am I missing? Thanks, otherwise WS seems like a nice 'free' solution for VZW Treo users.
    Quote Originally Posted by RavMan
    I cannot find the advanced setting for the notification of receiving emails.
    You can get notified when it syncs the emails:
    Menu- Push/ReadySync-Advanced-Notification of data received
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Did this get answered? If so I didn't understand....

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC
    A really big question that I have yet to play with is to try running other conduits while performing a WS. For example, I think Beyond Contacts is absolutely fantastic. But I didn't put it on my Treo because I wanted to try and work with the native databases on the Treo. But I'm starting to miss it; especially the task reminders. But I'm doubting the ability to run that very long conduit in a WS. Anyone have any opinions/experiences with this?

I inititally installed WS to the default email app and now would like to try snapper and/or chatter....how's that done...

Do I just install snapper and somehow set it to the default email app?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by fventura
    I inititally installed WS to the default email app and now would like to try snapper and/or chatter....how's that done...

Do I just install snapper and somehow set it to the default email app?
    Yes, you can simply install SnapperMail and go to PREFERENCES -> Buttons and select Snappermail as the default program to lauch when you press the "Mail" icon (second icon from right on the T600).

There's nothing to stop you from using both programs (or more for that matter).
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    How does Intellisync know which mail program to sync with......
  19.    #19  
    Well, there are technically two Intellisync's you could be talking about. The first one could be the standard Intellisync package that some people purchase to sync their handheld when it is on the cradle. If you are referring to this application, then you should know that all it does is run the various conduits for each application. If your mail program has a conduit, it will syncronize that application with your desktop. Snappermail does not have a conduit (at least not the version I've used). So you really wouldn't worry about it in that instance. It's retrieves e-mail wirelessly and it leaves it in its own program. There is no syncronization with that application. An example of a mail app that did use it's own conduit was the old Palm mail app. That was designed to sync the mail on your desktop mail application with your handheld. It was not what one would consider a robust application. I believe VersaMail uses it's own conduit, but I don't have any direct experience with VersaMail. Other might want to chime in on their experiences with it and Wireless Sync.

The second Intellisync package that you might be referring to is the Wireless Sync feature that Verizon provides. This Intellisync application is defaulted to only sync with the Wireless Sync Mail application. There is an option to "share database with another conduit (slower)", but I have not tried that myself and do not know of its benefits and/or limitations. Even in that case, you cannot disable the WS Mail app, you can only share the database it uses (apparently).
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC
    The second Intellisync package that you might be referring to is the Wireless Sync feature that Verizon provides. This Intellisync application is defaulted to only sync with the Wireless Sync Mail application. There is an option to "share database with another conduit (slower)", but I have not tried that myself and do not know of its benefits and/or limitations. Even in that case, you cannot disable the WS Mail app, you can only share the database it uses (apparently).
    This is the one I meant Steve. Thanks for the clarification. I was hoping I could use a more feature rich email client with WS.