Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by theswami

Speak with another customer service person and get it straight BEFORE your bill comes.
    Believe me, swami, I've tried! Anybody got any suggestions? VZW tells me that they can't view call detail before the billing period ends, which is the only way they could sort through and determine whether I'm right - anybody got a counterexample to establish otherwise?

On HowardForums I had another subscriber post a reply that suggests the same thing is happening to him. So I wonder if there will be a bit of an uproar as people's first billing cycles on the Treo end.

I'll let you know by the 11th or 12th!
    I have the same problem where the minutes on my account are way more than my actual voice usage, and they gave me the same answer ... it will split out on your bill and you should be OK.. I said record this call because I will not pay for excess minutes.
    BTW your Treo keeps track of minutes phone screen / menu/views/call log/ enter/highlite totals and enter. Shows minutes in home, roam and total plus KB sent, received, and total. This will be helpfull if there is an argument on the first few bills.
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
  3. djc
    Just a side note for all to remember:

Verizon has THREE different billing systems, still leftover from the pre merger days. People on different billing systems may experience different results with all of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by curtarmy
    BTW your Treo keeps track of minutes phone screen / menu/views/call log/ enter/highlite totals and enter. Shows minutes in home, roam and total plus KB sent, received, and total. This will be helpfull if there is an argument on the first few bills.
    True, that's helpful, provided you reset it every month. My other problem is that my current Treo replaced a defective one I had for a week. Didn't keep the totals for that unit. And also, strangely, my current Treo doesn't show any Kb usage, despite that I'm using data constantly. Hmmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    You have to be VERY disciplined about disconnecting from the Data Network (through the Blazer menu, or through Preferences / Network / Disconnect), after EVERY time you use a program that uses the data network (any IM program, any browser, programs like Directory Assistance, etc.).

You guys are going to end up being very annoyed at your phone, when it's really Verizon's fault! Unless there's a way to set the Treo to disconnect after X number of minutes of "data standby" - I don't know if this feature exists (don't need it w/ Sprint).
    To correct this problem download a program called Connection Manager. It's a great utility to have to protect your self from using valuable Peak Minutes. You can set this program to disconnect from the web if your in standby for 30 seconds 1 minute 5 min 1 hour etc. I' know this sucks it happened to me with my Treo with Verizon. I'm waiting for my bill to genarate and I made and arangement to have customer service call me on August 16 to review my bill and credit me for those Data calls. SirNite^Y2k
    Quote Originally Posted by kenr28782
    I have the unlimited data plan on my Treo with VZW, and never considered doing otherwise, as much data as I'm using.

I too noticed my peak minute balance go through the roof as soon as I started using the Treo. Customer service is clueless on this point - either they insist that I've really used nearly 4000 minutes in the last couple weeks (to which I have to contain myself from yelling "bull----") or they concede that #MIN and "My Account" online are not capable of breaking out voice airtime from data. I suspect the latter is correct, and I find that horrendously unacceptable.

Is anyone else subscribing to Unlimited Data and noticing the same phenomenon? Have you received any reassuring words from anyone at VZW that they understand this problem? I'm going to be hundreds in the hole if the next bill is as messed up as I expect it to be.
    I have had the exact same experience. Just got the Treo on Thursday, went online and saw more than 300 minutes. I called Customer Service (for about the 4th time since I got this thing -- Verizon implementation has been a mess for this thing!) and got transfered to the data team to be told that they can't split out the voice and data minutes. She told me -- don't worry, they will be separated out in the bill -- and I told her that my issue was I had no way to accurately track my usage (ridiculous, I think). Her response -- go exchange for a Blackberry. Sigh, somehow I'm determined to keep this thing....
    Quote Originally Posted by jett254
    I have had the exact same experience. ... I had no way to accurately track my usage (ridiculous, I think). Her response -- go exchange for a Blackberry. Sigh, somehow I'm determined to keep this thing....
    It's reassuring (at least to me!) to know that I am not the only one observing this behavior.

If they do not fix this problem and segregate the voice/data minutes, my fallback is going to be that I religiously reset the counters on the Treo at the beginning of each billing period, and track the minutes that way ("Phone"->"Call Log"->"Totals").

The implication of your customer service call is that Blackberry users do not have this problem! Is that correct?!?!?
    Browsing the Treo600 section of VZ's site, and clicking on the 'plans' link- I get the following page (see below):

Clearly, one of the plans listed for the Treo (Nat. Access) states- "Offers monthly airtime allowance for both Internet access and domestic calls"
    "600 minutes for voice calls & data sessions"

This is new in the last few days. When I checked it last week, the only plans to come up via the Treo600 link were the 5mb and unlim Data-Only plans.

This seems good news to those who have/want a VZ Treo w/o a data plan?

Here is the link:
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...etPlanOverview

Here is the pasted page:

Choose from our selection of calling plans

Calling Plan Types Rate Area Additional
    Rate Info Recommended Plan

PDA/Smartphone
    Browse the Internet with your PDA or Smartphone.

Plans offer NationalAccess airtime allowance to browse Internet using web browser on PDA or Smartphone. Voice & other data usage charged separately. Coverage Map Voice/other data usage--
    Home Airtime Rate Area: $0.25

Domestic roaming: $0.69 $49.99
    Unlimited access within NationalAccess service area

----

Unlimited NationalAccess and BroadbandAccess
    Use the wireless Internet for hours at a time.

Get unlimited NationalAccess and BroadbandAccess for your wireless data needs. Other data usage charged separately. Coverage Map Other data usage--
    Domestic roaming: $0.69 $79.99
    Unlimited NationalAccess & BroadbandAccess for wireless data

----

NationalAccess

Browse the Internet, access email at speeds up to 144 kbps. Offers monthly airtime allowance for both Internet access and domestic calls. No long distance or roaming charges. Coverage Map
    $75.00
    600 minutes for voice calls & data sessions

----

NationalAccess Megabyte
    Pay for the amount of data you use.

Ideal if your data usage is constant. NationalAccess data allowances start at 20 MB. Other data usage charged separately. Coverage Map Other data usage--

Domestic roaming: $0.69 $59.99
    60MB of data to browse Internet

----

BlackBerry® Solution
    An Internet/Data plan for your BlackBerry device.

Get quick, easy access to email, contacts, calendar and task list while on the go within the NationalAccess service area. BlackBerry handheld device required. Voice and other data usage charged separately. Coverage Map
    NationalAccess: $0 - .008/KB
    Voice: $0.25 home area $0.69 roaming $49.99
    NationalAccess

Browse the Internet, access email at speeds up to 144 kbps. Offers monthly airtime allowance for both Internet access and domestic calls. No long distance or roaming charges. Coverage Map
    $75.00
    600 minutes for voice calls & data sessions
    It's nice to see Verizon provide an alternative, but it's a poor one in my opinion.

Right now, I'm paying $40 a month for 400 minutes (America's Choice). It's more than adequate for my phone usage, with some left over for the little bit of web use I do. Sure I could use more browsing time, but for the $75 they want, I could spend $10 more and add the unlimited data plan onto my account and get unlimited, rather than coming out of my minutes.

And last time I checked, NA didn't come with free nights & weekends, and probably no In Network either. That's definitely a deal-killer even if I was interested in the plan.
    I just called a Verizon Support rep and asked specifically about this, since I'm a little worried about the prospect of having a bill for over a thousand bucks.

He said that data on the Treo can use calling plan minutes (so there's no need to sign up for a data plan), and when the data connection is in standby (gray arrows), it's not using up minutes. He didn't sound like he was guessing any of this or making it up, either.

So I'm going to hold them to this answer when my bill comes, and not worry about disconnecting the data connection after every time I use data features.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbasjsb
    PDA/Smartphone
    Browse the Internet with your PDA or Smartphone.

Plans offer NationalAccess airtime allowance to browse Internet using web browser on PDA or Smartphone. Voice & other data usage charged separately. Coverage Map Voice/other data usage--

Domestic roaming: $0.69 $49.99
    You don't need the $79.99 plan. This is really all you need for unlimited data access with our Treo 600. The price is $44.99 if you have the right voice plan (don't remember the $$ limit).

It is still pricey, IMO. #646 breaks it down pretty well for me with 2 messages: voice and data. As a result, the unlimited plan is my best bet since I use Wireless Sync and hook it up as a modem. In less than one week I've used about 30 MB and very few voice minutes thanks to crappy reception and In-Network calls.
    I'm in the same boat as most folks here but I've got a good comparison case. I've used the Kyocera 7135 for a while and just switched to the Treo 600.

I love the thing and I use it a small amount more than the Kyocera. BUT, no difference in the applications I'm actually using or how I'm using them. I'm doing nothing different but suddenly I'm now $500 over my normal bill after 1 week. I only found out by accident.

The folks at the Verizon store refused to beleive I'm not suddenly making a lot of voice calls ("duuh, the computer sez so, you must be a liar").

The guy at Verizon PDA whatsit support cited the wireless email sync check every n minutes thing -- that I don't even have installed on the phone -- as the reason and wanted me to toss them an extra $40/month for unlimited data.

Anyway, I called to cancel the service for all 3 lines which I've had for a while with them and that was when they said they'd look further into it. I don't expect a positive resolution on this but they were at least nice about it finally. I'm supposed to hear back from somebody higher up the food chain by Tuesday.

I suspect this will end with them crediting my account for this and me going elsewhere for service. Dunno where, they've sucked the least of any phone cpy I've dealt with.
    I finally got my bill from VZW and it did count thousands of data minutes toward peak usage (nothwithstanding the unlimited data feature) - check out ...

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=426175

... if you want the rundown on what eventually happened.
    Well, they "looked into it" but no useful outcome. They're crediting my account ($950) for the usage and I 'm sending the Treo back.

The tech folks are truly convinced that the thing wakes up and checks email (like a Blackberry)--even though I don't have wireless sync installed.

They don't want to understand the actual problem. Far simpler to force people onto a data plan.
    Last edited by reedwade; 08/19/2004 at 04:19 PM.
    Well, I'm having the same problem that a lot of other people are having - hundreds, no thousands of minutes are being used up. If you don't actively "disconnect" the browser, the minutes continue to be used. After talking to CS at Verizon, they want me to take the phone to a store to have the techs confirm there isn't a problem with the phone before they will credit the usage. I installed wireless sync, but now I want to uninstall it so that they don't say that's what has been using the minutes up and it's not Verizon's fault. How can I uninstall wireless sync from the Treo?
    I suggest you call VZW. They can walk you through getting rid of the software you installed using their site.
    I am on the unlimited data plan for 45 dollars a month, and a 40 dollar calling plan. On my online usage it separates out data from minutes. In about 10 days with light web browsing on small sites, I have used 6 mb.
    My voice minutes appear inline with what I have been billed for in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by reedwade
    Well, they "looked into it" but no useful outcome. They're crediting my account ($950) for the usage and I 'm sending the Treo back.

The tech folks are truly convinced that the thing wakes up and checks email (like a Blackberry)--even though I don't have wireless sync installed.

They don't want to understand the actual problem. Far simpler to force people onto a data plan.
    No kidding. I was on the phone with them for 45 minutes explaining to them what I had seen here, and:

1) you'd think it was the first time any of them had heard of this
    2) I must've been asked 3 times whether I wanted to be on an unlimited data plan even after I said 'no, thanks' and that I was aware *now* that I needed to actively disconnect the browser or turn off the wireless service, since apparently 'standby' means 'using your minutes'. :P

What I've been told is that they can't adjust the billing until the next billing cycle...Sept 12th, and that I'd get billed for the minutes, but then the customer billing person I talked to is going to adjust it, call me, and give me the adjusted amount. Nobody I've talked to seems to be able to access any call info for the current month.

The tech I talked to said that with these phones they should only be on PDA plans. Personally, I don't want to pay extra for unlimited data; I just wanted to be aware to begin with that the gray arrows meant I was still connected and still being billed for minutes.

PS. Re: needing a data plan...My husband had called Verizon before we bought the phone to specifically ask if we needed a different plan for the Treo 600, and also whether transferring service to it would extend our contract. We were told we would *not* need another plan for web browsing and that the contract would not be extended...then when I activated the phone, the first thing they did was extend the contract out to 2 years from that date. I spent quite a bit of time straightening that out and only incidentally found out about the 'standby' minutes usage while I was wrapping up that issue today. So far as I can figure, Verizon is either incredibly incompetent or a bunch of thieves intentionally trying to bait and switch you at every turn.
    Last edited by peepe; 08/23/2004 at 05:08 PM.
    here's a link to a pdaphonehome discussion on this subject,

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...&highlight=qnc

(how to set up QNC about 3 posts down)

this, theoretically, should get one the same functionality that was available on the 7135, that is: getting a data connection at 14.4 speed that uses your minutes. This allows you to do simple things like check your email without raping you with a 50 buck internet package.

slow as hell, but cheap

mind you, that this does nothing for the "failure to disconnect" problem. watch out for that. I do know, if you happen to be on the wrong side of this problem, that some very large credits are being handed out to customers.

I am so bloody irritated that the Treo is crippled - & I work for VZW

hope this helps, if anyone knows conclusively that it won't work, please post a reply.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123