Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HED
    Having spent 45 minutes this morning with a very helpful tech rep who took the initiative to figure out how VZ's web access billing works for the Treo, I learned some very interesting things.
    Do you know who you spoke with? I have America's Choice plan and it just flat won't connect to the net. I click CONNECT in the WEB application and nothing happens. No errors, no nothing.
    I got a Verizon Treo600 and had initally added the number to my fiance's Verizon plan for $20 (she has America's Choice 1200 plan) and added the $44.95 unlimited data plan. Data worked fine. After reading some of these posts I called this morning to take off the $44.95 data plan because I thought data service would just use minutes....well now I get "Connecti to Verizon Wireless" and "Signing on" when I try to web-connect but then it goes nowhere "Error:PPP timeout" or "wireless web service now available in this area" error messages...

I guess I need to call back to add data back on.
    I think they just realized that it was allowing America's Choice on line. I believe you need to move to a national access plan to use your minutes.
    That may be presumptuous at this point, let's wait for more people to confirm that. I had problems using the web on my last phone too and I think I just gave up.
    I waited all these months to buy a Verizon Treo. I like the idea of using monthly minutes for very limited web use.
    The problem is that I keep seeing reminders that you need a "National access plan". What exactly do you select when you are shopping online?
    On the website I see "America's Choice" (seems to cover the whole country?) and "National Single Rate" but not National Access. On other screens, I notice that the plans are either local or international. Forum users with America's choice keep getting reminded that they need a national access plan that I can not find.
    Thanks for any clarification,
    Mike C.
    presemuptious or not, it is the only plan besides mobile web authorised to be used for web/minutes. Anyone using America's Choice right now for the web is just in the loophole. So hopefully they don't patch it up, but if they do...we really shouldn't be suprised.
    Well - as a follow up to my adventures in data minutes.

I went to the Verizon store to speak to someone in person. They looked up my minutes and could basically tell me that it wasn't right, but said they didn't know enough about the Treos to resolve my problem. They gave me the number to Verizon's WDTS department.

The next morning I called WDTS and spoke to a technician there. He was the most knowledgeable of anyone I spoke to about the Treo.

Per the guy I spoke to, per minute data plans are not valid for this phone because it periodically connects to the data stream to check email (even though I kept insisting I didn't install the wireless sync). He said basically that I would have to get one of the national access plans. Either the 5MB plan, with $ 0.008 per KB over (turns out that Saturday alone I racked up $104 worth of K on that plan) or the unlimited.

So, now I'm stuck with the unlimited data option at more than I pay for DSL at home if I want to own this phone and use the data option. Well - that kind of sucks, but I like this phone too much.

I wish there was a way I could use my minutes since I have free evening and weekend minutes. I guess at least now I can use the data features on the phone any time without worrying about racking up a bill.

Still - It is not too late to take the phone back - I'll investigate other carrier's data plans/prices for the Treo this weekend. I've been happy with Verizon's sytem though - I get good coverage and no dropped calls.
    Stansell,
    not sure why you are experiencing the data minutes issue. I have america's choice and I don't have a data plan with my "Verizoned" Sprint treo. I do have Mobile Web. When I browse, I use my minutes. I have never had an issue w/ the treo " periodically connecting on it's own". This maybe a verizon Treo firmware issue. You may want to ck the setting on the SMS and MMS. If this does not solve your problem and you feel lucky, you may want to try installing the sprint firmware on the treo and then resetting per the "Verizoned" Treo FAQ. I do not know if this will help since I only have a Sprint version of the phone.
    Hope this helps
    If and when you guys ever actually speak to anyone at Verizon who knows their stuff about wireless data (like the guys at WDTS) you will find that the only OFFICIAL way to get data on any phone (PDA, 4400, whatever) is through a National Access plan. Whether it be an Unlimited plan, 5mb plan, whatever, this is the only actual supported way to get 1x data on a device. Using National Access MOU, which is that you guys who are trying to connect and use plan minutes to get data is a loophole that at some point very soon will be eliminated. The original use for NA MOU was to give camera phones access to the 1x data network in order to send and receive pictures. Sales and CS have been instructed in the past to remove NA MOU from accounts that were either PDAs or camera-less phones.

Does it work to connect to the data network? Yes. However, I wouldn't expect too much sympathy from CS when you have excessive overage charges. This is sounding like the problems that people had last summer when they bought v60p (push-to-talk) phones and activated them on non push-to-talk plans. The PTT phones connected to the server once every 5 minutes to receive an updated contact list and the PTT plans ignored these calls. Normal plans, however, charged the customer for a minute of use every 5 minutes, 24 hours a day. Eventually the problem became such a hassle that verizon bought back any v60p that was on a non PTT plan and replaced it with a brand new v60s which didn't do PTT.

Edit - I notice that a few of you guys are talking about mobile web. This is worthless on a Treo. Mobile web is only for non-pda products, and does absolutely nothing on any data product. The feature code that is allowing you data access is called National Access MOU (although I think they changed it in the month since I left Verizon) Anything else like Mobile Web is just flushing $5 down the toilet every month.
    ocbrody, I've heard that as of 6 months ago, Verizon was putting NA-MOU as a standard feature on all accounts; has your experience been since then, or was it perhaps just an old policy?
    ocrbrody,
    thanks for the info however my experiecne has been that my Treo can access the web w/mobile web however my samsung that does not ahve mobile web can not access web so in my case the $5 is not being flushed down the toilet
    hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveFehr
    ocbrody, I've heard that as of 6 months ago, Verizon was putting NA-MOU as a standard feature on all accounts; has your experience been since then, or was it perhaps just an old policy?
    I had NA-MOU on my America's Choice plan last month before I terminated my contract. I spent several minutes on the phone with data tech support so I could get my settings right on my i700 to connect to the web. The tech even made sure that NA-MOU was on my plan.
    on my bill it is listed as National enhanced access
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveFehr
    It is put onto all accounts automatically, however salespeople were instructed to remove it when a customer purchased a smartphone or a data cable for a regular cell phone. As with anything Verizon, this policy wasn't very well communicated and most reps didn't know this.

As for the Mobile Web stuff...what kind of Samsung are you talking about, trragtops, the i700? i600? Or just a regular phone? If it is a regular phone, then the Mobile Web feature code is what allows web access. On a pda/smartphone, Mobile Web does absolutely nothing, since there are many other data streams that the smartphone can access and the National Access code is utilized.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocbrody
    It is put onto all accounts automatically, however salespeople were instructed to remove it when a customer purchased a smartphone or a data cable for a regular cell phone. As with anything Verizon, this policy wasn't very well communicated and most reps didn't know this.

As for the Mobile Web stuff...what kind of Samsung are you talking about, trragtops, the i700? i600? Or just a regular phone? If it is a regular phone, then the Mobile Web feature code is what allows web access. On a pda/smartphone, Mobile Web does absolutely nothing, since there are many other data streams that the smartphone can access and the National Access code is utilized.
    I have both Samsung i700 Pocket PC Phone and Samsung i600 Smartphone.
    I had them on a family plan so they both used my minutes anytime I went on the web.
  16. HED
    Quote Originally Posted by w@ntonsoup
    Do you know who you spoke with? I have America's Choice plan and it just flat won't connect to the net. I click CONNECT in the WEB application and nothing happens. No errors, no nothing.
    Oh -- that problem. That's different.
    I had that problem before I noticed the minutes going throught the roof. My first call to VZ tech support was to correct the problem of no wireless connection. That tech support person spent about 45 minutes exploring the problem and discovered that VZ hadn't enabled wireless access for my phone. I don't understand how their accounts/billing software works so I don't know the details of what needed to be done.
    VZ tech support specifically for Treo told me that if anyone is accessing wireless web without a data plan THEY WILL BE CHARGED, they won't use minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by trragtops
    Stansell,
    not sure why you are experiencing the data minutes issue. I have america's choice and I don't have a data plan with my "Verizoned" Sprint treo. I do have Mobile Web. When I browse, I use my minutes. I have never had an issue w/ the treo " periodically connecting on it's own". This maybe a verizon Treo firmware issue. You may want to ck the setting on the SMS and MMS. If this does not solve your problem and you feel lucky, you may want to try installing the sprint firmware on the treo and then resetting per the "Verizoned" Treo FAQ. I do not know if this will help since I only have a Sprint version of the phone.
    Hope this helps
    I'm now switched to the unlimited National Access PDA, or whatever. I don't think I would be able to switch back now or want to. It is nice now being able to browse the web at any time of day without worrying about adding to my minutes.

Just a side note - I still have Mobile Web on my account. It is useless on the Treo, but under the plan I got two years ago, Mobil Web was with a promotion that provided for unlimited night and weekend minutes. For the same combined cost I can get a current plan with 100 more anytime minutes, but my old plan starts night minutes at 8:00 PM and the new plans start night minutes at 9:00PM. Since I never came close to my anytime minutes anyway,I might as well get earlier unlimited night minutes.

One other note - my current anytime minutes are now 700 over my plan thanks to having the wrong data plan for my phone. Per a customer service rep I spoke to today - they can't remove those minutes and a bill will be generated with them on it. They will have to manually correct the bill after it has been printed. She put a note on my account so this will get done. I was advised to stop my automatic payment plan so I don't get $100's sucked out of my checking account while it is being corrected.
    I have the unlimited data plan on my Treo with VZW, and never considered doing otherwise, as much data as I'm using.

I too noticed my peak minute balance go through the roof as soon as I started using the Treo. Customer service is clueless on this point - either they insist that I've really used nearly 4000 minutes in the last couple weeks (to which I have to contain myself from yelling "bull----") or they concede that #MIN and "My Account" online are not capable of breaking out voice airtime from data. I suspect the latter is correct, and I find that horrendously unacceptable.

Is anyone else subscribing to Unlimited Data and noticing the same phenomenon? Have you received any reassuring words from anyone at VZW that they understand this problem? I'm going to be hundreds in the hole if the next bill is as messed up as I expect it to be.
    kenr-

I have the unlimited data plan combined with america's choice and do not have this problem. I use #646 and My Account online and there is an appropriate breakout for my usage. For example my billing cycle just started and it shows 29 peak minutes and 11mb of data usage (no split for the number of minutes for data usage). If there was an issue with data using minutes, I'm sure my 11mbs would equate to more than 29 peak and a similar number of off peak/weekend minutes.

I've also gone though the close of a previous billing cycle that included 1-2 weeks of heavy Treo usage and I had no problems there.

Speak with another customer service person and get it straight BEFORE your bill comes.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast