Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Tray,
    That's one of my problems. I don't have PPP for a connection type. Verizon has told me their Treo is only able to connect via 1x on their network.

I do have Virtual Modem on the connection list along with Standard Modem and Wireless Modem (which is what their 1x connection uses)

I tried making a QNC connection with the Vireless Modem as an option (and Virtual Modem also) with no luck.

John B
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Tray,

Read the above messages in this thread. I could not get qnc to work using any scripts. Worked fine without scripts as did my local ISP...

and John below are two cheap ISPs but you might want to check their access numbers to make sure they have local numbers where you travel.

Also I would post a separate thread asking about other peoples experience. Someone may suggest exactly what you want...

http://www.maglobe.com/
    http://www.access4free.com/

Good luck,

Frank
  3.    #23  
    Frank,
    Thank you for the links. They BOTH work!

WOW! this is nice. Thanks to EVERYBODY that helped me get this working.

John B
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Glad you got it working!!

Frank
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    So access4free sounds VERY interesting...hopefully i will be picking up my verizon treo soon...i'm now wondering, however, is it worth it to get a sprint treo and convert it? What exactly would i be losing/missing out on....I've been reading all the forums and i can't find one exact thread that is 100% of what sprint converted treos are missing. Some users say everything works fine, while others say nothing works.....What should i do?

Thanks so much!
    Tray
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    IMHO there are only two reasons to get a Sprint Treo and convert it. One is if you find out later that Verizon coverage in your area is not as good as you would like then you could convert back to Sprint and go with their service. The second is that there is a now supposedly pretty good deals on Sprint Treos. I don't know the details but I have seen prices advertised for around $350. Perhaps also at some point someone will figure out how to flash Sprint Treos with Verizon firmware - and it will probably be someone on this forum!!!!

I started with a Sprint Treo that I bought on ebay (late PalmOne model) and it worked flawlessly on Verizon but there are plenty of examples on this forum of people who had lots of problems, not only with the conversion but with the Treo hardware. I can find no differences in performance, reception, data access, battery life, or features between the two except the Sprint version does not support an ERI version of the PRL so I could not get an indication of 1X or D service, only an indication of Verizon or Roaming. I do not use the builtin Calendar or Web browser but added DateBk5, SnapperMail, Web Pro, and ReqWirless browsers and have had no problems with any of these apps (on either the Sprint or Verizon models).

Having said that if you don't mind paying more I would go with the Verizon model. The main reason is that if something goes wrong with your Sprint Treo you are pretty much out of luck unless you bought it from Sprint, convert it back to Sprint service, and then go back to Sprint for a replacement. I know of no one who has been able to convince Verizon to support a Sprint Treo. They will not replace it or flash it with Verizon firmware or deal with problems with it in any way. So since the Treo is a rather complicated device and has had a history of quality control problems with both its hardware and firmware, I think with the availability of the Verizon Treo one would be wise to go with it for Verizon service. Yoy would have 14 days to decide it you wanted to keep it and I am sure they will replace it if you have later problems. All in all for me it is worth it having the Verizon version.

Good luck with your decision and your Treo. I have had several Palms and several cell phones and this is by far the best device for my use. I will never go back to two devices.

Frank
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12