Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Anybody with a new Verizon Treo 600 done a test to see how fast their wireless data bandwith is? I'd be very curious to know more info about this. Does it use the same technology as Sprint's PCS? I know Sprint uses CDMA and Verizon is TDMA, but I'm not sure (but would love to know) what this means w.r.t. the wireless data transmission.

rengelman posted what appears to be the first Verizon speedtest near the end of this thread, averaging 69kbps.

Verizon's website says their unlimited data plan is $49/mo. Is that really true? How can they compete with Sprint?

-Jeff Ishaq
    Palm OSŪ Certified Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by jishaq
    I know Sprint uses CDMA and Verizon is TDMA, but I'm not sure (but would love to know) what this means w.r.t. the wireless data transmission.
    No, that's incorrect. Both Sprint and Verizon are CDMA wireless providers. They both have 1st gen 1xrtt data networks with comproble speeds with Verizon have a slightly faster uplink and Sprint a slightly faster downlink. 1xRTT has a theoretical data speeds peaking at 144 kbps, but typical real-world speeds are closer to 60-80 kbps. 1xRTT Rel A was suppose to double data rates to 288 kbps peak, but now it seems both Verizon and Sprint are rolling out thier 1xEvDo infrastructure which is supposed to have theoretical data bursts of up to 2.4 mbps, or real world speeds averaging 300-600 kbps...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Thanks for clearing this up for me, gfm. Sounds like Sprint and Verizon should, in theory, prove to be nearly equivalent with data transfer rates. This doesn't bode well for GSM-based phones, because I think that Internet access, as it drove the desktop computing craze of the late 90's, will also propel consumers into smartphones. There's just something about accessing the Internet that gets consumers buying things. I'm willing to have quirky call waiting and conference calling in order to have very fast Internet on my Treo. If I travel outside the country, there are pay-as-you-go plans that work for me. Aside from coverage, I just don't see any motivation to go with GSM.

I'm curious where you saw that Sprint has a slightly faster downlink than Verizon -- is there a reference somewhere you can cite so I can get more information on this? Or is this empirical? I find this very interesting. I looked into 1xEvDo last night, and it looks very promising, but I can just see this costing $49.99/month once it rolls out for smartphones. It's painful enough as it is to pay for two voice services, and two internet services:

$29.99/mo for DSL
    $34/mo for landline
    $115/mo for my wife and my Treo + data service

I wonder if 1xEvDo has the infrastructure to become as widespread as DSL -- with speeds like they offer, I would consider dumping my DSL in favor of just paying for one, rather than two, ISPs. Good old PDANet! And my voice coverage is decent enough that I might just dump my landline too.

-Jeff Ishaq
    Palm OSŪ Certified Developer
    I just did a speed test on my treo at:
    http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

I do not have a data plan, only America's Choice calling plan. My speed was rated at 85kbps! Not bad! And it only uses minutes.