Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    No, there's no family share national access plan, it's the America's Choice plan that has the Family option.
  2. brk
    Lets do a count.

How many people with a national plan, who DO NOT have a data plan and DO NOT wireless web are able to surf the web & get their email via pop or smtp?

For all you know it may be a glitch in VZW's applications as related to the Treo. Lets hope it's not.
    Also - anyone with the America's Choice plan (and no data plan) who can use the net and email - let us know
    I am on america's choice without a data plan and can get email and net on my treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by dimented
    I am on america's choice without a data plan and can get email and net on my treo.
    Can someone confirm: if you use the treo without a dataplan, can you still use something like Chatter or Verichat in the background? Does it continually eat minutes, or just when there's data transfer?
    Man, I wonder if they'll fix this loophole and screw everyone?
    don't talk about it anymore Feral, if anything is pulling from the internet than you are using your minutes. I am confused though because if you run it continously wouldn't that disable you phone from recieving calls?
    I was told though if I didnt sign up for a plan they would charge me per MB. Let us know at the end of the month what your bill is or its a way to sell new services

Quote Originally Posted by ear_canal
    Well I am on America's Choice plan without any data plan and it is working out fine. I did not have to do anything special to configure it, just worked out of the box sending e-mail and browsing the web. I think I am also getting transfer speed over 14.4. I need to find a test site.
    Just to add my $0.02... I was speaking to a custservice rep the week the Treo600 first came out (12th?). He was the only rep out of 4 who knew about the thing that day. I further asked him if I'd be able to surf with just minutes and no data plan. He confirmed yes... multiple times, since I wouldn't be paying $600 for somethiing I can't even browse with (I'm not paying $50/mo. just to browse). I just made sure.

It may be a different story when I get my bill, but that's what he confirmed. I won't be able to confirm though... won't be getting my Treo for a while longer.
    Can't you just go online and check out your bill right now?
    Quote Originally Posted by citi
    don't talk about it anymore Feral, if anything is pulling from the internet than you are using your minutes. I am confused though because if you run it continously wouldn't that disable you phone from recieving calls?
    I could be confused as well: I haven't yet ordered the Treo, but from what I gather on other forums, with the Sprint Treo (and possibly others) you can use an IM program like Chatter in the background so that you are "always on", and you'll receive notification of new messages even in standby mode. Don't know whether or not this disables the phone. (if it did, that would certainly be a dealbreaker for me...)

Basically, I'm waffling between Verizon and Sprint right now. Through my company, I can get pretty good deals on Verizon voice plans. The only reason I would go Sprint is if its unlimited data plan would let me do "always-on" IM and email receipt, and VZW without a data plan would not.
    I think you're always online with proggies like that, which means unless you're on the unlimited plan, avoid them.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Ok, They sold me the whole show.

I think I was so happy that Verizon was finally available I just didn't care. My wife and I have had each treo available (outside of the 90) and the only downside to me was NOT being able to use on Verizon which has the best reception here in the North East.

This may answer a few questions since I spent half the day with a rep on the phone..(or so it seemed) and their website is VERY confusing...

I chose the "America's Choice Plan"..400 minutes @$39.95 with unlimited night time..yada yada..I took the 5mb national access plan since the insisted I would need a plan for web and email and the service is a great deal faster than others. Who knows... Now that I'm hearing that minutes might cover me I might dump the excess and increase the minutes. We'll see.

Anyone have a speed experience with National access yet? One thing I'm interested in but they could not answer the question yet...(surprise) is the total loss coverage. I could never find a full coverage and I really wonder if the plan will cover the Treo.

BTW, anyone interested in 2 gsm models.. excellent condition? I'm throwing them up on Ebay as I always do when I upgrade phones...

Bottom line...just to get my Verizon back WITH my treo is my own personal nirvana. Now the ace... that's another story all together...
    Scott
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I wonder if you could surf the Web on a Sprint T600 just on a minutes plan (without the $15/mo. unlimited Vision)?
    I also have America's Choice family share plan and to my surprise was able access the internet on my Treo without a data or mobileweb plan. I called customer service and wanted to make sure I wouldn't find some extra charges on my next bill. The service rep said my account has remained unchanged and didn't think I should be able to access the web without one. I'm not complaining but it does make you wonder what's going on.
    I have am choice along w/ mobile web but no data plan. I use my mins when surfing. the benefit of mobile web is it allows you to get up to 100 text mesages for free. other wise it is $.20 per txt message
    hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by trragtops
    I have am choice along w/ mobile web but no data plan. I use my mins when surfing. the benefit of mobile web is it allows you to get up to 100 text mesages for free. other wise it is $.20 per txt message
    hope this helps
    Mobile Web is totally unnecessary for the Treo.

And if you just want 100 text messages, then you can add that option for just $2.99.
    ndirish2001, thanks for the info. i ck'd w/ vzw site and it seems you are correct.
    thanks for the heads-up
    I just ordered the 600 from Verizon (via phone, since my local store doesn't have any in stock).

I upgraded my existing Local Family Share plan to America's Choice Family Share (which should give me web access without a data plan). The rep called another rep and he confirmed what we've been saying: you can use minutes if you're on a national plan without a data plan.)

My monthly cost went from $35+15 (two lines) to $39+20, which isn't bad. We also go from 250 to 400 minutes, with unlimited N&W (not that we'll use 'em). It also adds unlimited IN-network calling for the primary line.

The new-every-two credit gets me $100 off the $449 price, for a net of $349.

My existing contract had expired and switched to month-to-month. This caused a little complication on the charges and credits, but it'll work out in the end.

The rep had to first credit me with $50 because she can only write 1-year contracts, and when I activate the phone I'll get another $50 credit for changing to two years. Then I have to call to get another $50 credit for new-every-two. The net result is still $349, although it seems a roundabout way to achieve the same result. At least she's annotating the account records to reflect this unusual way we're getting credited.

I suppose the 600 will arrive tomorrow or Thursday. I'll spend the 15-day trial period checking reception in my rural area, then begin migrating my Tungsten T stuff.
    Last edited by Rick_Auricchio; 07/27/2004 at 03:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by w@ntonsoup
    No, there's no family share national access plan, it's the America's Choice plan that has the Family option.
    Not true. I have a National Access Plan with the Family option (in New Hampshire).

The Family Share plan should not be confused with the choices of National Access plan (NAP) and the America's Choice plan (ACP). Think of it this way: NAP and ACP are each vertical plans - chose between them. The Family Share plan is a horizontal plan - it cuts across the vertical plans.

The primary purpose for the Family Share plan is to add more phones to a common billing account. You still have to choose the vertical plan that you wish to use. I'm on a Family Share plan with National Access. We have two phones and both of them use the National Access plan.

As for web browsing: someday the Verizon reps will get it right. Yes, it is true that you do NOT have to purchase a data plan to use the web browser. With no data plan, you will simply chew up phone minutes for browsing.

WARNING: whenever using the web browser, be sure you press the MENU button while in Blazer and select DISCONNECT from the Option pop down menu when you are finished!! Otherwise, your browser will continue to stay connected and use up minutes at "Blazing" speed.

See related discussion: VZ billing for wireless web on Treo
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=54519

Hey, how do I turn on [IMG] code and/or HTML code for message editing?
    Last edited by SpinDoctor; 07/28/2004 at 06:05 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast