1.    #1  
    If SPRINT is your provider:
    I have heard that a tower update can be performed by dialing *2
    and I have heard that the phone can be forced to connect to the strongest tower by dialing *18.

If VERIZON is your provider:
    I have heard that a tower update can be performed by dialing *228.

Question: If Verizon is your provider, how can you force your phone to connect to the strongest tower?
    What you are referring to is called a PRL (Preferred Roaming List) update.

Yes, both Sprint and Verizon do it via OTA (over the air) programming as you described. As far as forcing your phone to connect to the strongest tower, the phone already does that. You do not need to do anything.

What you might be talking about is with Sprint, where some users have purchased the roaming option for $5 with the hope of roaming on the *generally* better network that Verizon provides. However, in this case, you should be aware that a Sprint phone will always attempt to stay on a Sprint signal even if a Verizon signal in the same area is stronger. That's the nature of the service.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you for your response, SteveNYC.

You said "As far as forcing your phone to connect to the strongest tower, the phone already does that. You do not need to do anything."

Are you sure the phone already does that?
    On Sprint, people can press *18 to force their phone to connect to the strongest tower. So ... if the phone already does that, why does Sprint provide the *18 service? What happens when a Sprint user dials *18?

I have a Verizon Treo 600, and wonder if Verizon has a service that corresponds to the Sprint *18 service. I get a weak signal in some places.

Thanks.
    Can't say that I have ever heard of *18. But then again, I am a Verizon user.

Those Sprint guys sure do weird things! ;-)

All kidding aside, I don't know how to answer your question. Sorry.