1.    #1  
    The cost advantage at Sprint was too much to pass up. After my two week trial with Sprint I've determined the covergae to be about the same as Verizon, especially with the optional free roaming capability. Cost of phone aside (I paid $320 and I've heard Verizon going for as high as $449, if you really want to use the Treo to its full advantage with web, e-mail, pics, text, etc. and your area is well served by Sprint then the Sprint plan is undeniably better - almost HALF the cost of the Verizon. Here's the numbers from my situation:

Sprint:
    700 min talk time - $50
    free roaming - $5
    unlimted data, pics, 100 text - $15
    Monthly total - $70

Verizon:
    600 min talk time - $75
    free roaming - $0 (included in above)
    data plan - $50
    pics - $5
    100 text - $3
    Monthly total - $133
    If there any others that are also former Verizon customers that have moved on to Sprint please speak out. Also, please let us all know where your primary coverage location is (e.g. region, state, city, etc.)

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    If there any others that are also former Verizon customers that have moved on to Sprint please speak out. Also, please let us all know where your primary coverage location is (e.g. region, state, city, etc.)

Thanks.
    I have moved over to Sprint from Verizon. I'm in NH.
    Quote Originally Posted by vidio
    The cost advantage at Sprint was too much to pass up. After my two week trial with Sprint I've determined the covergae to be about the same as Verizon, especially with the optional free roaming capability. Cost of phone aside (I paid $320 and I've heard Verizon going for as high as $449, if you really want to use the Treo to its full advantage with web, e-mail, pics, text, etc. and your area is well served by Sprint then the Sprint plan is undeniably better - almost HALF the cost of the Verizon. Here's the numbers from my situation:

Sprint:
    700 min talk time - $50
    free roaming - $5
    unlimted data, pics, 100 text - $15
    Monthly total - $70

Verizon:
    600 min talk time - $75
    free roaming - $0 (included in above)
    data plan - $50
    pics - $5
    100 text - $3
    Monthly total - $133
    Many people have gotten burned on this. Read the fine print very carefully..... Sprint Roaming is NOT free. So that you are not surprised when you get you bill here is the full story.

"Sprint PCS Free & Clear America
    Enjoy no additional charges for roaming in this expanded coverage area, reaching more than 280 million people, as long as less than half of your monthly call time is used while roaming. Sprint may terminate service if more than half of the minutes in a given month are used while roaming off the Sprint Nationwide PCS Network."
    ENDQUOTE

In other words, if your plan has 700 minutes and you only use 600 minutes in a month, only 300 of 600 may be roaming minutes.
    myline = Treo650 w/SprintPCS
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by norpah
    Many people have gotten burned on this.
    Really? Do you know anyone who has had service terminated?

I'm asking because I'm not sure that this is enforced. Much like people tethering laptops and using their cell phone for internet access, it is a breach of contract, but it is only a few heavy abusers that I have heard of who have been shut down.

As an FYI Cingular has similar language in some of their agreements,
    All of the carriers do or used to have the same language. I think AT&T (and possibly Cingular) have recently removed that fine print with the recent GSM free roaming agreement, mostly becasue AT&T and Cingular are going to merge.

I didn't know Sprint had unlimited data and SMS for $15. I never saw that on the web site! That's a pretty damn good deal!
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I really dont think many people run into the 50% rule. And I think Sprint has every right to have it in place. I mean honestly, if you consistently use more thant 50% of your minutes roaming instead of on Sprint's network, then why are you with Sprint??
    Quote Originally Posted by norpah
    In other words, if your plan has 700 minutes and you only use 600 minutes in a month, only 300 of 600 may be roaming minutes.
    I don't believe that many people are getting burned on the 50% rule. I do believe that Sprint had it there *just in case* people abuse it. I don't blame them.

I think the bigger issue with their unlimited roaming issue (and this has been mentioned often though it still comes up) is that it is NOT a "winner takes all" solution. So if you are standing in a location that gives a VERY weak Sprint signal and yet a Verizon phone has a very STRONG signal, the Sprint phone will NOT simply roam onto Verizon because it can get a better signal. If there is even a WEAK signal, the Sprint phone will try to maintain that Sprint link.

I personally believe that the Sprint roaming option is a good thing, it's just that it's more appropriate to people who travel a lot and who might be in various areas of poor Sprint coverage and might be able to use Verizon's *generally* better coverage map.

I know that the earlier opinions were that this would be a great way to get the best of both worlds; the prices of Sprint and the coverage of Verizon. But unfortunately, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Final note, you can't use any data services on Sprint when you are roaming onto Verizon's network although SMS *might* be possible. I can't remember.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Also please be advised that while roaming off Sprint's network, long distance charges are no longer included, so you will be paying an additional 25 cents a minute for any calls except to the area code that you are dialing from. I have the feature on my plan, but rarely use it, as I find Sprints coverage to be generally excellent. It's a better deal for analog-capable phones.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I switched from Verizon to Sprint, and I live in New York, NY.
    I will expand the thread by saying I switched two phones (one Verizon and one Cingular) to Sprint.

I have to say that last October I more interested in the Treo600 than the carrier and Sprint seemed to be the only one who could take one off the shelf and sell it to me at that time.

I have been pleased with the coverage in the Houston area and my plan is:

$100 per month for 2000 minutes, unlimited data (including unlimited text messaging) and all the normal services like voicemail, caller ID, 3-way calling etc. I also paid the extra $5 for unlimited roaming and so far have not experienced the 50% rule.

The unlimited data for $15 (but included in the price on the higher minute plans) is perfect for my web surfing, SnapperMail, SMS and Shoutcast audio streaming during those boring meetings.

Just my $0.02 worth....
    "Arguing with a police officer is like mud wrestling a pig.
    Eventually you realize that the pig likes it."
    I switched frim Verizon to Sprint, for 2 reasons..1 Sprint had the Treo 600 last year when I wanted it. 2 Sprint's data plan is MUCH more afforadable.

Here in the boonies I do see some coverage differences, but not as many as I thought and in some places I'm pleasantly surprised with coverage.

Binghamton, NY
    Pete
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I had verizon with my old phone in NY NJ and never ever had a drop out, then i got the treo on tmobile and have had drop outs dead dials galore ..
    After reading your posts im thinking of switching to sprint which i never had ..
    2 questions ... 1) do you think coverage will be that much better in the NYC metro area and

2) do i have to switch and get a new treo or does sprint have gsm as well as pcs ...or any other suggestions > ? i am on my fourth treo and still have speakerphone echo so maybe i can get them to swap me for a sprnt ...

thanks for your help
  14.    #14  
    neither Sprint or Verizon have GSM so you will have to get a new phone.